QUESTIONS CONCERNDING NY CROSSBOW LAW

papabear

watch austin powers he had a midget vern troyer who was his wanna be they called him mini me.

I still don't get it, but I suppose it was supposed to be some kind of random personal slam ....... about what I haven't a clue. Is that what it was Bubba, just a random personal attack? ..... lol    :D

Doc

For the same reasons that the anti x-bow guys do it. Lighten up there buttercup, no reason to keep complaining about a legal hunting implement.  :)

Just to be clear in case it's gone un-noticed, I didn't make any negative comments about crossbows or about those that are pushing them. I simply questioned the training requirements. So if there's anybody that needs to lighten up, I think there are a couple crossbow pushers that should actually at least try to pretend that there is some reason for personal attacks before they just jump in there with the attitude. Wouldn't ya think??? I'm trying to discuss things in some sort of reasonable and civil fashion per the other thread that dealt with civility and that sort of thing, but there are a couple of individuals that are purposely making that pretty hard.

For the same reasons that the anti x-bow guys do it. Lighten up there buttercup, no reason to keep complaining about a legal hunting implement.  :P

Just to be clear in case it's gone un-noticed, I didn't make any negative comments about crossbows or about those that are pushing them. I simply questioned the training requirements. So if there's anybody that needs to lighten up, I think there are a couple crossbow pushers that should actually at least try to pretend that there is some reason for personal attacks before they just jump in there with the attitude. Wouldn't ya think??? I'm trying to discuss things in some sort of reasonable and civil fashion per the other thread that dealt with civility and that sort of thing, but there are a couple of individuals that are purposely making that pretty hard.

I was busting chops with Chevy. Just so ya know.  :)

Im with you though.

I just find it a bit funny that one will need a safety course for crossbows when none is needed for muzzleloaders.  I would think someone could do way more damage to themselves with a muzzleloader by not knowing how to properly use and fire one.

That is pretty funny when you think about it.

I just find it a bit funny that one will need a safety course for crossbows when none is needed for muzzleloaders.  I would think someone could do way more damage to themselves with a muzzleloader by not knowing how to properly use and fire one.

That is strange. As someone who has never pulled the trigger on a muzzleloader, I've got to say that I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do and how much of it to do, and without any instruction at all I would likely blow my face off.....lol. I never realized that there is no course on muzzleloaders. There must be some part of the regular gun course that is devoted to muzzleloaders these days isn't there? Not that that would help anyone who already has their gun course.

Doc

That is strange. As someone who has never pulled the trigger on a muzzleloader, I've got to say that I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do and how much of it to do, and without any instruction at all I would likely blow my face off.....lol. I never realized that there is no course on muzzleloaders. There must be some part of the regular gun course that is devoted to muzzleloaders these days isn't there? Not that that would help anyone who already has their gun course.

Doc

I remeber when i turned 16 and bought my first license there was talk of a muzzle loading course being added to the current line up of courses. If you already had your stamp then you were grandfathered in, needless to say I bought it anyways for the extra tag for bow and in the off chance that there might be another course that I didn't want to take. Now I go mzling every year with my buddies and wouldn't miss it.  However before I started going with them I had no idea how to work a smokepole they were the ones that taught me how to do everything.  If I hadn't had them, I too would of probably blown myself up trying to figure it out.... (probably not I research things very thoroughly before I try them but you get my point).  Here's my other question tho how are they gonna know who has taken the class and who hasn't? My license will still say super sportsman either way won't it?

Here's my other question tho how are they gonna know who has taken the class and who hasn't? My license will still say super sportsman either way won't it?

Interesting point. Are crossbow hunters going to be required to be able to show proof that they have taken the course? Kind of like being made to carry their certification card or whatever when they are hunting? As CNYlungbuster points out, there is nothing on the license that serves as proof of certification.

Doc

watch austin powers he had a midget vern troyer who was his wanna be they called him mini me.

I still don't get it, but I suppose it was supposed to be some kind of random personal slam ....... about what I haven't a clue. Is that what it was Bubba, just a random personal attack? ..... lol    :)

Doc

actually since I said doc and his mini me, it was not even directed to you.  I know you think everything is about you, but i was referring to the person who seems to praise your every post. 

Here's my other question tho how are they gonna know who has taken the class and who hasn't? My license will still say super sportsman either way won't it?

That's a good question.  The only thing I could think of is that they required those hunting with a crossbow to have the safety course certificate in their possession.  Or maybe there could be a special box printed on ones privilege tag where it would be checked off that one passed the course.  Either way my hunch is that this required course was put into effect to eliminate the hoards of bowhunters who might trade in their compounds for crossbows once crossbows are allowed in the bowseason.  LOL

from the info that instructors are receiving, there will be a special tag on the license needed for x bow. Not an extra tag for a deer, but a place to show you are allowd to use a x bow.    So you will need to show your certification to get it.  Way back when special ml seasons were started, there was talk of a ml class.  In fact that was what I planned to teach. Since there was not much interest in ml and it was guys who primarily already had then who were hunting, they dropped it. Then when all was changed and inlines and any projectile and primer were leglized, it exploded.  Those who had alredy had a tag were going to be grandfathered in and all others were going to have to take a course. Due to the large numbers of hunters getting into ml,and sall number of instructors, it would be impossible to keep up. So as in the usual in this state, dollars were a preference over safety. It is now incorporated into the hunter ed classes as will be xbow eventually. 

actually since I said doc and his mini me, it was not even directed to you.  I know you think everything is about you, but i was referring to the person who seems to praise your every post.

Actually, forget it. Whatever you were trying to say, It really doesn't matter......honestly ::)

Doc