Laundry Questions

crappyice

I got the detergent. I got the Dryer sheets. But I also have a DOWNY OBESSESSED wife who loves even the dirtiest of clothes to smell like a baby's bottom.  I can't see scent free dryer sheets combating the sweet smelling downy.  What are my drying/activating options so my gear does not smell like a powdered baby's arse? Or, how can I de-stink the dryer of the downy smell prior to my laundering of gear?

Hi we all have good wife that want to help ..."""But""" tell her you will do your hunting togs. I use baking soda and wash a load at a time and then hang outside to dry. I also have 3 of the big plastic tote with covers from Walmart. I cut some pine and line the bottom of the toes, then as the hunting togs are dry, I fold and put into the tote. The tote will kepp all house hold smells out of the hunting stuff. I also have found some special dryer sheets that smell like clover. If I need to wash and dry in a hurry...

I got the detergent. I got the Dryer sheets. But I also have a DOWNY OBESSESSED wife who loves even the dirtiest of clothes to smell like a baby's bottom.  I can't see scent free dryer sheets combating the sweet smelling downy.  What are my drying/activating options so my gear does not smell like a powdered baby's arse? Or, how can I de-stink the dryer of the downy smell prior to my laundering of gear?

Adding vinegar to the laundry rinse cycle helps to remove any remaining soap.

a true story I one time was hunting a apple trres area, so I put  ( 4 oz  ) of apple juice in the final rinse cycle. When the hunting togs dried that just had a hint of apples.

A buddy asked me if I did any special so I told him of my process with apple juice.

I did not see him for several weks and then ran into him, he said how the hell did you stand hunting in them togs with the apple smell. He said he had to get down from the tree stand as the bees were after him.

I ask how much he had put into the final rinse cycle, he said just what you told me 40 oz's...

He put ten times the amount I had used...

Heres what I do, it works pretty well.

1 - run one large load with scent free soap in washer. When soap and water are full, use a hand towel soaked in the water/soap and wipe down every part of the washer that isnt covered with water. (under lid, etc) Let the load run with a couple of towels.

2 - wipe down entire drier with scent free soap/water mix on towel and clean out lint trap as good as it can be done.

3 - dry towels in drier with scent killer drier sheet

4 - clean out lint trap as good as you can

5 - wash your hunting clothes.

Sometimes I may run 2 loads of the towels and scent free before my hunting clothes go through.

If you even thought for a minute she'd do all that - she's a keeper!!

Maybe next year teach her to hang stands & trim shooting lanes.

Then the following year think she'll be ready to drag a deer out & gut it.

If she's up for all that, does she have a sister? lol

If you even thought for a minute she'd do all that - she's a keeper!!

Maybe next year teach her to hang stands & trim shooting lanes.

Then the following year think she'll be ready to drag a deer out & gut it.

If she's up for all that, does she have a sister? lol

hahahahahaha!!!

my wife too, shes goes crazy with that stuff... i go to the laundry matt, beleive it or not they have higher pressure water jets inside that usually clean out the detergent buckets better so it leaves little to no detergent left over for next wash. go to the laundry mat, youll have better luck becoming scent free. last year when we first got the new wash & dryer my hunting clothes came out great, now shes used them for a year, she can go a few weeks not adding anything and the clothes will still come out clean and smelling fresh! lol

The laundry mat is a good idea.  I always worried about all the crap and smells in those commercial washers, I guess if it does have those high powered jets, then it could be better?

they are, the power of the water that comes though the detergent tray is ALOT greater then some of the ones at home. it washes alomost ALL of the detergent out of the tray. i usually use extra decent detergent but i never had problems with the laundry mat routine. my clothes always come out way better at the mat then at home... going there tonight to do my clothes for this weekend.

Wash your own hunting clothes for goodness sake.  :)

I wouldnt even WANT anyone else washing my hunting clothes.

Ya me too... this will be the only time of year that you catch me doin laundry lol...

I follow prety much the same rutine as WNY however I don't pre wash the washing maching probably should but dont lol.  Then air dry out side ( in the garage or barn if the weather is crappy) then into walmart totes with fresh earth scent waifers, I love those things.  After being in the tote for a week with the fresh earth you can't smell anyting but dirt and I love it. 

Good luck

CNY

just got back from the laundry mat, have my stuff all decented and hung up in the garage. i just sprayed them as well with scent blocker. ill give em about 20 minutes and then in the carbon sack they go and i will spray again tom morning b4 my hunt...

Perfect... scent free as always. i ALWAYS spray them after and b4 the hunt anyways but it does get the smell embedded in the fibers of the clothes...

i would have to do atleast 2 pre washes in my machine with all the fabric softener the wife uses... you woul;d think a laundry mat would be worse but it is not. like i said i use alittle extra scent detergent.

try it and see if it works. ive been doing this for over 10 years and i never have been winded by a deer down wind that i had a visual on and i love to get close to my game, it works to my standard. getting close is tha name of the game in bow hunting...

Seeing I am the wife ...but... the hunter I only use non scented detergent in my washer....and Clean my clothes in A-Way...then to clean the dryer....I wash a load of towels...Take one hand towel and soak it in scent eliminator and toss it in the dryer.... then I wash my clothes and dry them with a bandanna soaked in scent eliminator

So we all some how wash and store our hunting clothing as scent free as possible.

Who has bath towels that have been washed in scent free detergent?

Didn't take me long to realize I was wasting time & $$ if I used a normally washed/fabric softener bath towel after scent free bath/shower.

Keep 2 or 3 bath towels set aside that have been washed scent free. Mostly for bow season.

I did the hunting clothes today at the laundry mat with scent free crap, and earth scent sheets in the dryer... Then stuffed them in garbage bags with earth wafers...  Cleaned my car out, vacuumed, washed, and got it ready for the trip.  Also stocked my truck with extra garbage bags and other random stuff.  The rest I'll pack up and in Thursday night, leaving right from work to go to my property.