3D printed gun

Geno C

This technology is not new. When I was in engineering we were building prototype parts from CAD files at least a dozen years ago. They were perfect replications. This is the first time that I have seen anyone building a gun using this process, but it certainly is not surprising. By the way, I saw another U-tube video where the guy was using the same technology to build a plastic hand-grenade. Imagine the usefulness of that to a terrorist.

3d printing is NOT new... this i know... but using 3D printing to make a gun has not been done before up until just recently

who knows how 3D printing will be used in negative ways in the future or even what kind of regulations they will implement on 3D printing now that they thought of creating guns with it.

building a gun can be as simple as a piece of pipe and a 2x4. guns have been built in peoples basements since the invention of the basement. This is simply the next evolution of technology supplying the 2nd amendment. All laws still apply whether you are purchasing a commercial model, or making one on your own. the buzz is the fact the public (particularly those under the age of thirty) are very computer literate, and that takes alot of the craftsmanship skills (that are no longer taught in school) required to conventionally build a gun and makes it unnecessary. Pick a file of what you want, load the printer, kick back and watch your glock clone be created. But without a pistol permit, you go to jail.  It is pretty cool watching this process develop. theres buzz about auto body shops simply printing body panels for collision repair, removing the supply line. so as long as there is a data file available, obsolescence is obsolete. interesting concept.

Like I said, it has been about a dozen years since I had any involvement with this technology, but there probably are still some practicalities that limit the size and material of the parts. Also, it used to be that the process was just limited to plastics. Whether they may have expanded this to powdered metal or some other kind of material I don't know. But producing a high-powered pistol or rifle that can hold up against the pressures might be a challenge. Rimfire .22 is one thing, higher calibers may be something else. Also, trying to build and assemble something like a fully automatic true assault weapon may be a challenge that only a few would be capable of undertaking. Also, there is a huge amount of expertise required to create a file that comes up with the proper clearances and fits required in an effective firearm. Yes they did create a functioning basic zip-gun really does not require any super technology and never has. So while this technology does amaze and impress, I doubt that there will be a whole new generation of illegal arms producers being created by it.

Like I said in my previous reply, the one potential that I find most scary is the ability to produce a plastic hand grenade (or other plastic explosives designs. That is absolutely something that terrorists might find useful aboard airplanes. Is airport security able to detect plastics yet?

building a gun can be as simple as a piece of pipe and a 2x4. guns have been built in peoples basements since the invention of the basement. This is simply the next evolution of technology supplying the 2nd amendment. All laws still apply whether you are purchasing a commercial model, or making one on your own. the buzz is the fact the public (particularly those under the age of thirty) are very computer literate, and that takes alot of the craftsmanship skills (that are no longer taught in school) required to conventionally build a gun and makes it unnecessary. Pick a file of what you want, load the printer, kick back and watch your glock clone be created. But without a pistol permit, you go to jail.  It is pretty cool watching this process develop. theres buzz about auto body shops simply printing body panels for collision repair, removing the supply line. so as long as there is a data file available, obsolescence is obsolete. interesting concept.

Exactly... grandpa tells stories of building zip guns in NYC when he was a kid... 

That IS cool!!!!

Like I said, it has been about a dozen years since I had any involvement with this technology, but there probably are still some practicalities that limit the size and material of the parts. Also, it used to be that the process was just limited to plastics. Whether they may have expanded this to powdered metal or some other kind of material I don't know. But producing a high-powered pistol or rifle that can hold up against the pressures might be a challenge. Rimfire .22 is one thing, higher calibers may be something else. Also, trying to build and assemble something like a fully automatic true assault weapon may be a challenge that only a few would be capable of undertaking. Also, there is a huge amount of expertise required to create a file that comes up with the proper clearances and fits required in an effective firearm. Yes they did create a functioning basic zip-gun really does not require any super technology and never has. So while this technology does amaze and impress, I doubt that there will be a whole new generation of illegal arms producers being created by it.

Like I said in my previous reply, the one potential that I find most scary is the ability to produce a plastic hand grenade (or other plastic explosives designs. That is absolutely something that terrorists might find useful aboard airplanes. Is airport security able to detect plastics yet?

I would think they can since terrorists dont seem to have thought of trying plastic explosives yet... esp with the full body scanners 

They are doing this with aluminum now.

Regardless, a plastic hand grenade would still need explosive materials inside of it, the shape is not that important. Printing a hand grenade with one of these printers isnt going to do much.

I have several cans of explosive materials in my shop. Having the ability to create the cannister, arming mechanism, and detonation parts, that may or may not be detectable, is not a thought that would make my airplane ride any more comfortable ..... lol. I worry more about someone using the technology for that kind of purpose than being used for guns.

Detroit took care of the size problem. concept cars are rarely made of clay any longer. they have printer the size of a warehouse to do initial mock builds of future rides. So i guess we can print a tank!