The Itch

heavuser

10 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm sorry for smirking ,reading about the desk jockeys getting scratches .

lol I don't think either of us were bitching just shooting the shit. I have zero cares about what others think of me (pretty sure that's been obvious over the years here). But, spending 2 afternoons in 90+ heat voluntarily working an orchard, spraying a plot and hanging off a ladder with a chainsaw to cut off a 12" branch while putting in a stand sure wouldn't be up there with this desk jockey stigma you have in your mind. 

PS far worse is my poison ivy than my scratches. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

PS far worse is my poison ivy than my scratches. 

My hunting partner is horribly afflicted by that stuff. I'm lucky in that I am not allergic to it but then it usually means I get to do the work when we need a set in a tree wrapped in the stuff, LOL. Blessing in disguise I guess.

I got it horribly as a kid and then most of my adult life i didn't get it at all. I think now it's mild compared to when I got it as a kid. I also have some good stuff that helps attack it early on and stop the spread. I think my problem is that a few times I've encountered some nasty patches and my immunity isn't strong enough lol. 

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

I got it horribly as a kid and then most of my adult life i didn't get it at all. I think now it's mild compared to when I got it as a kid. I also have some good stuff that helps attack it early on and stop the spread. I think my problem is that a few times I've encountered some nasty patches and my immunity isn't strong enough lol. 

I had an ER nurse friend tell me to carry hand sanitizer and to use it quickly after contact. Apparently it does something to break-up or inactivate the oil somehow. My friend tried it a few times and so far he has not gotten it.

1 minute ago, phade said:

I had an ER nurse friend tell me to carry hand sanitizer and to use it quickly after contact. Apparently it does something to break-up or inactivate the oil somehow. My friend tried it a few times and so far he has not gotten it.

i've heard the same and use it on my hands. ever since covid there's a bottle in my truck. Just didn't slather it all up and down my arms which I should have. Too focused on the cold beer and a/c in the truck lol.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

For a moment there I thought you were talking about the itch to hunt :drinks:

• Haha 1

When I was 12 I got poison Ivy fishing with no shirt on. I went straight to football Practice and the sweat & pads made it spread everywhere. I was in bad shape. Had to get steroid cream and looked like a weirdo for the next few weeks including on a plane and in Colorado visiting family. I don’t even look at that stuff anymore. Anytime I’m In the woods I still wear shorts but come home and jump in the pool then shower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back to the subject of having the itch to hunt deer. I think I have it 365.  I'm back out in the deer woods soon after the season ends, and if there's snow on the ground when a weekend rolls around, that's a golden opportunity to take a walk. Later on when the snow melts, that's a warm welcome to stretch the legs and time to look for sheds and do more scouting.  Then the last few months here in the summer, after working 50+ hours during the week, I was itching to get out and trim some stands, set some trail cams and keep in tune with the woods on the weekends.  A lot of evenings shooting arrows now and hope to get out and glass some deer just for fun in the August evenings. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's 8 days from the start of Early Antlerless Season 9/10-9/18. I resisted as long as I could but, I broke out my pack yesterday and started going through my gear, installing batteries in my flashlights and getting my hunting cloths out. There is a certain smell from the gear that now fills my office. Next Saturday can't come soon enough!!

20220902_123021.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I need to wash my shit, organize my pack, pull out the bow, shoot, sawyers my clothes, check my climber, clean my car if fishing gear, make sure I have thunderheads, and shoot my bow.

Other than that I AM READY!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and sharpen your knives! I'd love to hire you 9/15