May 8th, 2013

Rick McDermott

Gallivan Signature.JPG
DJV_Sig_sd049a[1].BMP
Ryan Signature.TIF
491 Albion Cross Rd

Pulaski, NY 13142

Dear Mr. McDermott,

We are writing to invite you to provide comments at a legislative forum on the appropriate manner to
regulate the use of crossbows as hunting implements in relation to the proposals included in S. 1699-A, A.
283, and A. 1362.

Except for use by the severely disabled, crossbows ceased being legal hunting implements on January 1, 2013.
For the two prior years, crossbows were legal hunting implements only during big game firearm seasons. At the
same time, many neighboring states have made crossbows legal hunting implements during archery seasons.
The purpose of this hearing is to gather input from the sportsman’s community and related interest groups as to
how they believe crossbows should be regulated as hunting implements.

The hearing will take place in the State Capitol, Room 124, from 10:00-11:30 A.M, on May 22nd. Oral
statements will be limited to 5-10 minutes, depending on attendance. Written statements will also be accepted
in addition or in lieu of oral statements. Time permitting, we will open the floor to members of the public
following invited presenters. Please RSVP by May 20, 2013 to Todd Aldinger who can be reached at
[email protected] or 716.907.4076.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Patrick M. Gallivan David J. Valesky

Senator 59th District Senator 53rd District

Sean Ryan Aileen M. Gunther

Member of Assembly, 149th District Member of Assembly, 100th District

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rick, I watched it with no particular interest in the issue, but every time someone testified with a conservation fund and/or federal trust fund argument, I would have loved to show them a recording of some present in that room testifying at an earlier hearing for a license reduction because the CF is too large and the DEC is doing less... Very notable how the senators who used that rhetoric in the license bill didn't flinch one bit with this inconsistency in testimony. Guess that's what it takes to be a politician...

Edited by mike rossi

So I wasnt able to watch, and the recording hasnt been posted up yet. What went on? How did it go?

Everybody who testified was in support of crossbows and nobody in attendance was in opposition. (If) I understand correctly; the hearing compelled them to move the bills to vote, but this voting will be highly influenced by the calls and letters they receive. Edited by mike rossi

The panel (legislators) did mention they were trying to get it passed before the June 21st summer recess. Which could possibly put Xbow useage in the 2013-14 season. Otherwise, another year passes.

Lot of facts thrown around during the hearing, but one I found interesting was the sheer number of NY sportsman that the groups in favor of Xbow actually represented.

finally something that makes sense. 500' is a joke for archery.

You can hunt closer than 500 ft now.

Just need permission.

The same permission one needs to recover the animal when it dies next to that building.

If someone is not willing to give permission to hunt closer, most likely they will deny recovery as well.

Edited by SteveB

You can hunt closer than 500 ft now.

Just need permission.

The same permission one needs to recover the animal when it dies next to that building.

If someone is not willing to give permission to hunt closer, most likely they will deny recovery as well.

i realize this. One of my property's is a non symmetrical T. There's no chance for the deer to die in the 3 neighbors fenced in properties that the the top of the T is behind, but the stand is close enough to their garden sheds and backyards that I do not gun hunt this stand.

I really hope that the crossbow will be allowed this upcoming archery season.  I'm going in for shoulder surgery on June 20th and im not sure if will be able to use my compound this year. I would hate to miss out on the whole bow season.  Gonna try like hell to start shooting again by early Sept but not sure what will happen yet.

John

The shed doesnt count, only buildings occupied by people or livestock. Campers, sheds, etc do not matter. As long as you are not 500 feet from their house, you are good.

haven't we debated this before? because it has always seemed gray to me. I dont have the time right now to look up the reg; but I thought it mentioned something about a dwelling that houses equipment or may be accessed? idk...

regardless it's still a dumb law and I'd like them to remove it.

haven't we debated this before? because it has always seemed gray to me. I dont have the time right now to look up the reg; but I thought it mentioned something about a dwelling that houses equipment or may be accessed? idk...

regardless it's still a dumb law and I'd like them to remove it.

Theres no debate about it, its the law. Feel free to ask DEC about it if you wish, I already did so and posted their response.