Small state land spots?

CuseHunter

I was curious if there is any smaller or not so well known state land spots around CNY. Everyone knows of the major ones advertised on the DEC website, but I find it hard to believe there isn't any other places that aren't featured on their site. I'm not asking for your secret honey hole land, I'm just asking if there is places that are public land to hunt and not on the site? There just isn't anywhere to hunt near my syracuse areas (camillus) besides the unique area by the canal which is littered by people walking their dogs let alone being able to bowhunt from the non-existent trees.

Did you use the statelands interactive viewer?

Cicero swamp- 4,949 acres

Hamlin marsh-  1,686 acres

Three mile bay- 3,966 acres

Three rivers- 3,607 acres

Northern Montezuma- 3,600 acres

Grand total= 17,808 acres. All within 25 miles of Syr.

There's nowhere to hunt??????

On a side note, bowhunting doesn't require trees!

If you got a buddy with a big backyard, woods or a brushfield, that could be home to a giant "Burbs Buck"!

Edited by PREDATE

I am working on a friend who happens to own an entire woods ~ 200 acres smack dab in the middle of the susburbs. Its hard though because they own european deer in a fenced in area and are the animal lover kinda people.

I've just heard bad things about the cicero swamp and 3 rivers. I guess I just need to make a trip out there, I really want to take a day or so and go to montezuma.

I have found that most of the old timers impressions of these public spots are still haunted by their memories of hunting as kids when the entire woods were filled and it was WWIII

thanks for the ideas, I need to make a trip out to the Cicero Swamp or Hamlin Marsh. They are only about 30-45 min away. I live like 15 min West of Syracuse. Anyone know if the Clarks reservation, Rand tract Park, or Pratts falls is huntable? I need to call the DEC and ask them about some spots that are green but have no info.

I am in a club that leases a nice strip of land next to morgan hill and I love it there. Morgan hill is so large and not many people go there anymore. Definitly worth the drive but I was just looking for a spot that I can go during the week for a morning hunt before classes or whatever. I think my best bet is just to ask some land owners for access to hunt.

Hit the county clerks office and look for county land as well.  Never seen it any of them on a DEC map of sorts.  Most dont even know that land exist as such.  But beware of the locals who do know and protect them a there own.

Pratts falls and clarks res do not alloow hunting. i've called each several times, as i hunt small private pieces near each of these

thanks for the ideas, I need to make a trip out to the Cicero Swamp or Hamlin Marsh. They are only about 30-45 min away. I live like 15 min West of Syracuse. Anyone know if the Clarks reservation, Rand tract Park, or Pratts falls is huntable? I need to call the DEC and ask them about some spots that are green but have no info.

Pratts falls and clarks res do not alloow hunting. i've called each several times, as i hunt small private pieces near each of these

Thanks for the heads up. Sucks because Clark's reservation is so large. No reason there shouldn't be bow hunting there.

And I'll definitely grab a copy of the book.

I tried calling Onondaga county clerks for info on the local spots. I was literally transferred to atleast 12 departments all deferring the job, then went back to the same person a couple times and she hung up on me. So I guess I should just give up and try going door to door. Any of you ever tried asking land owners? Any luck?

I do a good share of my bow hunting at 3 rivers. Especially during the week as I only live about a mile & a 1/2 away. It is not to bad to hunt. Can get a little busy on the weekends especially during pheasant season but nothing really crazy. Lot of spots there to hunt and some you can really get off the beaten path and get back in some spots that a lot of people don't want to walk to. I will rarely gun hunt there though. Maybe the last week of season or during muzzleloader just to get out. But it can get pretty crazy the first few weeks of gun. As for asking a landowner for permission I have gotten to knows lot of very nice people by just going up and knocking on the door. My family has quite a few parcels of land we hunt in in Penn yan. My dad started hunting there about 40 yrs ago right after I was born. I have lists with peoples names that are property owners. Some I have there kids names because they have passed away and there kids now own the land. I make it a point to call them a few times a year and I go down there to say hello and visit. I have been asking one gentlemen for over 15 yrs to hunt his land. Tells me no every year because he has family that hunt it, who I have gotten to know by meeting them in the woods. But he invites me in every year for a cup of coffee and visit with him. Maybe someday if his family doesn't come to hunt I can hunt it. If not I get a ouple cups of coffee and a visit with a local who knows a lot about the area and maybe other land owners. Knock on some doors, great way to meet people and the worst they can say is no. I don't know how many times people have been so impressed I stopped to ask they had no issues giving me permission to hunt there

Thanks for the input. Definitely makes me want to just go out there and do it. I was looking on the Onondaga county GIS system and finding who owns what land and definitely need to give it a try. I like meeting new people. Who knows one of them might have a hot daughter for me :P

• Like 1

When you go to knock on the door do not tell them that you "looked them up on the tax map".I do the same and some people that have given me permission have told me after they get to know me that they fealt like they were being watched or spied on.Just go and ask is the best way I have found to get permission.I always give someone who has given me permission some meat,gift card for a night out to dinner or just stopped by from time to time to plow the driveway shovel a walkway or help.That goes a long long way and Ihave gotten a few places to hunt just by doing this and the owners spreading the word.

This has been a great post !

New to the site and it sounds like Cusehunter and I are in the same boat. Will also take the advice given here and check out some public land. I live in Oneida, so a bit more to the East. I looked at the recommended book to purchase but the bummer of it is that we are right in the middle ... O-Well maybe get both  B)

• 2 years later...