Exhausted after taking these 2 for 2

shawnhu

Well, nuisance tags give you more options than regular hunting. You can use them outside of regular deer seasons, when most of the crop damage is happening, and you can use tactics like spotlighting and baiting, which make filling the tags easier. Regular DDPs (damage permits) are property specific, but you have to follow all of the normal rules for the season you use them in.

we got a sensitive bunch here. Why would you care if someone else chooses to shoot a deer in the head. If you think its unethical then dont do it.  People are always judging and yelling at people (the words look like yelling). Last year someone started a thread about hanging deer by the head before butchering and people were flipping on him saying its unethical, as if the deer gives a crap how you hang it after you SHOOT it while its minding its own business.

Well said YFK. Some people do it, some are open minded to others doing it but wouldn't do it themselves, and then there's those that are very close minded. All walks of life around these woods. Too bad there's so many closed minded folks here.

If you feel these farmers have all this extra time on their hands you really don't understand the life style. Especially if they don't hunt themselves it is no differnet that hiring an electrician or a plumber to complete a task you eith don't know how to do yourself or don't have the time to.

I have hunted on these tags  in the past and in hindsight I think they should do away with them to open up more property to hunters. The only benefit of these tags over a normal hunting tag is they are specific to the property being damaged. To

i never said they had extra time. i was trying to explain the priorites they place on what deer do to crops. lets remember you can spotlight and bait and "destroy" them a lot easier then normal hunting. You're also not trophy hunting and generally if you wanted, you could just shoot and shoot and not even worry about the recovery process. All I am saying is that if it was SOOOO devastating, every farmer would be a regular sniper if he had to be.

My best friends dad would just shoot them with a rifle off his tractor as he plowed and sprayed. If that wasn't enough he'd just drive over to the salt lick...

we got a sensitive bunch here. Why would you care if someone else chooses to shoot a deer in the head. If you think its unethical then dont do it.  People are always judging and yelling at people (the words look like yelling). Last year someone started a thread about hanging deer by the head before butchering and people were flipping on him saying its unethical, as if the deer gives a crap how you hang it after you SHOOT it while its minding its own business.

i suppose it's because a lot of times stereotypes begin to form. Why do you think they require a hunter's safety class? The more ethical and self policed we are, the less negative pressure hunting will get. What looks better on a peta website - A nice clean kill with leaves covering the bloody gut out area, or a deer with it's brains blown out?

this is hunting, not killing.

Edited by Belo

If you feel these farmers have all this extra time on their hands you really don't understand the life style. Especially if they don't hunt themselves it is no differnet that hiring an electrician or a plumber to complete a task you eith don't know how to do yourself or don't have the time to.

I have hunted on these tags in the past and in hindsight I think they should do away with them to open up more property to hunters. The only benefit of these tags over a normal hunting tag is they are specific to the property being damaged. To

i never said they had extra time. i was trying to explain the priorites they place on what deer do to crops. lets remember you can spotlight and bait and "destroy" them a lot easier then normal hunting. You're also not trophy hunting and generally if you wanted, you could just shoot and shoot and not even worry about the recovery process. All I am saying is that if it was SOOOO devastating, every farmer would be a regular sniper if he had to be.

My best friends dad would just shoot them with a rifle off his tractor as he plowed and sprayed. If that wasn't enough he'd just drive over to the salt lick...

Belo,

Are you implying that it is ok to shoot from a tractor? Are you also encouraging shooting these animals and then leaving the carcass out there in the open, wherever they may end up dying? I sure hope not, that's the epitome of unethical.

we got a sensitive bunch here. Why would you care if someone else chooses to shoot a deer in the head. If you think its unethical then dont do it. People are always judging and yelling at people (the words look like yelling). Last year someone started a thread about hanging deer by the head before butchering and people were flipping on him saying its unethical, as if the deer gives a crap how you hang it after you SHOOT it while its minding its own business.

i suppose it's because a lot of times stereotypes begin to form. Why do you think they require a hunter's safety class? The more ethical and self policed we are, the less negative pressure hunting will get. What looks better on a peta website - A nice clean kill with leaves covering the bloody gut out area, or a deer with it's brains blown out?

The hunters safety course is for..... Safety. Not for pleasing the anti's. please get that straight. And in the course, a headshot was perfectly acceptable and is considered a lethal kill zone.

The hunters safety course is for..... Safety. Not for pleasing the anti's. please get that straight. And in the course, a headshot was perfectly acceptable and is considered a lethal kill zone.

it's odd, that in mine they also discussed how to hang, gut and ethics. Not just safety. Downstate it must be more about destroying deer and XP multipliers for head shots than it is about hunting.

it's odd, that in mine they also discussed how to hang, gut and ethics. Not just safety. Downstate it must be more about destroying deer and XP multipliers for head shots than it is about hunting.

I guess upstate, they didn't do their jobs, which is why there's so many poachers upstate vs downstate. Down here, safety comes first, I guess it's clear how you boys prioritize the Safety courses.

Nice of you to turn this into yet another update vs downstate Belo, great tactic to divert.

Downstate it must be more about destroying deer and XP multipliers for head shots than it is about hunting.

What a dumb comment.  I heard the "upstate" classes are just watching movies and eating donuts.

I guess upstate, they didn't do their jobs, which is why there's so many poachers upstate vs downstate. Down here, safety comes first, I guess it's clear how you boys prioritize the Safety courses.

Nice of you to turn this into yet another update vs downstate Belo, great tactic to divert.

I manage safety for a 120MM a year business. I'm doing just fine. You know very well the prime objective is safety. They do however, touch on other topics.

I manage safety for a 120MM a year business. I'm doing just fine. You know very well the prime objective is safety. They do however, touch on other topics.

You mean like how your best friend and accomplices shoot from a motor vehicle and to leave carcasses lying around everywhere? Yeh Belo, real safe and real ethical. You're a joke, and should probably resign.

Just an FYI. On the nuisance tags it is about an all bets off type of thing. Most regulations that apply during the season, don't for that application. The 500' rule comes to mind as one that DOES still apply yet you can hunt after dark with the aid of a light.

That's correct. Safety regulations will apply, but advantage regulations does not such as after dark and with the aid of a light. Shooting and having a loaded firearm from a motorized vehicle is still illegal and definitely unsafe.

I think everyone has overreacted for what someone is doing legally. Everyone has different standards for themselves and should not try and push there opinions on to others. No ones business what he is doing. You say you don't like it then stop coming to read it.

I do want to thank you all that are participating for the free entertainment

I think everyone has overreacted for what someone is doing legally. Everyone has different standards for themselves and should not try and push there opinions on to others. No ones business what he is doing. You say you don't like it then stop coming to read it.

I do want to thank you all that are participating for the free entertainment

Paula, likewise for the vivid descriptions in your other posts, lol.

You mean like how your best friend and accomplices shoot from a motor vehicle and to leave carcasses lying around everywhere? Yeh Belo, real safe and real ethical. You're a joke, and should probably resign.

reading is > then you. This is the dad of my friend growing up. He was a farmer. He had time to "thin the heard" using his tags. A farm tractor is not a motor vehicle.

Just an FYI. On the nuisance tags it is about an all bets off type of thing. Most regulations that apply during the season, don't for that application. The 500' rule comes to mind as one that DOES still apply yet you can hunt after dark with the aid of a light.

exactly. he can bait, spotlight, even rifle I think. Remember shawn these are huge rural farms.

Edited by Belo

I don't agree. reduce the herd during this season and you impact next years local numbers. give out DDP'sopent he property to hunting if you want the DDP's. I believe the in season tags are limited to 2 per hunter anyway.

I see that point, but then the farmer gets screwed that season, which is when DEC does the survey to see how many tags to give. If they are being severely damaged, and then end up with some kind of crop disease, drought or flooding, it just compounds their problems. The way I see it, the farmers needs come before the hunters.

We get DDPs at the one farm I hunt each year, they sit out in a farm truck and the first x number of deer shot off the land have to be tagged with them. If they catch you not using the DDPs first, they are not happy. Any one hunter can only use 2 like you said. When he gets nusiance permits, we arm wrestle lol.

Peta doesnt care what the pictures look like, a dead animal killed by a hunter is a dead animal killed by a hunter. They see all of it as bad.

Belo, so just because your friend's father has the time to thin the herd, automatically means that EVERY FARMER has this time and skill as well? You really do live in your own little bubble.

I'm pretty sure a farm tractor has a motor in it. So does the safety instructors up by you also teach you to shoot the deer and not recover them? That is what you recommended, wasn't it?

Belo,

Don't make a habit of this, I don't want anyone accusing me of a downstater schooling an upstate 120MM safety manager.

Motor vehicle—means every vehicle or device operated by any power other than muscle power including but not limited to automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, trailers, motorboats, snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles, whether operated on or off public highways.

-DEC Regulations Handbook

Edited by shawnhu

Just out of curiosity.  Why would a farmer use his time to thin out the herd and hire an extra hand to help him tend to his crops?  Why not hire one less hand, help with the crops himself, and have someone else thin out the herd for free?

• Like 1