Exhausted after taking these 2 for 2

shawnhu

My cousin cooks the ribs in a pressure cooker, they go nuts over them. My husband and i love the neck.

Huh those aren't illegal in NY yet LOL?

well if noboby is going to claim the Hearts You can ship them right up to NH

If you're serious, I'll see how many hearts I have to spare on the next one. They're in high demand.

Yes - it is a shame.

A shame the population is not at a level where hunting alone in season can control the damage.

Good job helping the farmer protect his livelihood.

so shooting a fawn and a buck is how to do it? how about taking out a handful of doe? And then of course just tossing the back straps...

Yes - it is a shame.

A shame the population is not at a level where hunting alone in season can control the damage.

Good job helping the farmer protect his livelihood.

so shooting a fawn and a buck is how to do it? how about taking out a handful of doe? And then of course just tossing the back straps...

You're still here Belo? Couldn't keep away eh? Let me spell it out for you Belo, you seem thick. I'm not the only one shooting, I can't control what others decide to take. Even then, my obligation to the farmer is to reduce his crop damage, not MANAGE his deer herd. I known some of you LOVE to talk about deer management like you actually know what you're talking about. I couldn't care less if it had horns or not. If its caught destroying the crops, it goes down.

Where there are farms there are plenty of deer, especially if nuisance permits are being handed out.  A few deer taken in the off season legally is not going to hurt the herd, if anything it may help.

Please try to keep this convo civil.

• Like 1

Where there are farms there are plenty of deer, especially if nuisance permits are being handed out. A few deer taken in the off season legally is not going to hurt the herd, if anything it may help.

Please try to keep this convo civil.

Deer is a big problem in this area, I was told. Extremely high tick pollution and high Lymes cases. Conservation officer told us to shoot to kill, and not to scare them off. Told us we can use the meat if we chose to, but is perfectly OK to just bury the carcass.

I think you may be right about that it may help, because I haven't seen a single large buck here yet. All these little fork horns and dinks. Lots of large doe though.

So I'm just trying to imagine the conversation.  Farmer brings you to the farm.  Ask you to help him with his deer problem.  Environmental office which you pick up the nuisance permits from tells you to blast away because they're having major problems in the area.  A buck shows up and is munching away on the farmers crop like a fat kid in a ice cream shop.  You just sit there and watch.  Farmer comes running up to you scream "What the hell!?!?  That buck is eating me out of my livelihood!"  You turn and tell the farmer.  "Nah, I'm saving him till he's a full size trophy 8 pointer."

• Like 1

I'm sure there are farmers that put stipulations on what you can and can't take as well.  Because I'm sure there are some farmers out there that are also hunters, so they may ask you to take just does or whatever the case may be. Then there is the other side where they don't care and want you to take whatever is hitting their crops first just to reduce the deer population.  If there is a huge abundance of farms in the area the nuisance permits prob wont even make a dent. 

So I'm just trying to imagine the conversation. Farmer brings you to the farm. Ask you to help him with his deer problem. Environmental office which you pick up the nuisance permits from tells you to blast away because they're having major problems in the area. A buck shows up and is munching away on the farmers crop like a fat kid in a ice cream shop. You just sit there and watch. Farmer comes running up to you scream "What the hell!?!? That buck is eating me out of my livelihood!" You turn and tell the farmer. "Nah, I'm saving him till he's a full size trophy 8 pointer."

The farmer bought a shotgun, but he's not very good at it. But even then, if this scenario were to play out, it won't end well I tell you that, lol.

I know on rare occassions damage permits are issued for antlered deer. You are acting as the Farmer's agent in correcting the problem.If only a buck shows and presents a shot you take him. If multiple deer offer a shot you take the doe every time. This is about damage and population control and taking a buck only reduces the population by one. taking a doe has longer lasting effects. in certain situation like a tree nursery I can see targeting bucks becasue of the rubbing season that is almost upon us.

I know on rare occassions damage permits are issued for antlered deer. You are acting as the Farmer's agent in correcting the problem.If only a buck shows and presents a shot you take him. If multiple deer offer a shot you take the doe every time. This is about damage and population control and taking a buck only reduces the population by one. taking a doe has longer lasting effects. in certain situation like a tree nursery I can see targeting bucks becasue of the rubbing season that is almost upon us.

I only shoot Does when given multiple targets, yes.

Deer is a big problem in this area, I was told. Extremely high tick pollution and high Lymes cases. Conservation officer told us to shoot to kill, and not to scare them off. Told us we can use the meat if we chose to, but is perfectly OK to just bury the carcass.

I think you may be right about that it may help, because I haven't seen a single large buck here yet. All these little fork horns and dinks. Lots of large doe though.

here we go. "lymes disease". i'm a crusader for the people.

To your second point, a large buck does not do any more damage to a farmers crop than a large doe. So you see large doe and shoot the small buck? This is what I struggle with. I realize you're entering with a "it's brown it's down attitude" to help the farmer, and this I understand and have already shared my feelings. And I highly doubt the farmer is watching you hunt and pass up bucks, otherwise he would be shooting them himself.

Seems to me though that you have an opportunity to manage this property (although you believe I do not know what I'm talking about). Shoot a lot of the doe (who breed by the way), let the bucks grow up and shoot a nice buck each year. But I suppose the more and more I read you post, it appears  you're not into meat (this we know) and now it seems you're not after horns. Seems you're just here to kill. And that's not very right in my book.

Edited by Belo

I was on a nuisance permit a few years back, the farmer and his family would shoot does and bucks alike and throw them in a ditch and bury them........was really no reason for me to ever pass on anything, at least if I shot something it wouldn't go to waste...........DEC always took the antlers off any bucks, we weren't allowed to keep them.

here we go. "lymes disease". i'm a crusader for the people.

To your second point, a large buck does not do any more damage to a farmers crop than a large doe. So you see large doe and shoot the small buck? This is what I struggle with. I realize you're entering with a "it's brown it's down attitude" to help the farmer, and this I understand and have already shared my feelings. And I highly doubt the farmer is watching you hunt and pass up bucks, otherwise he would be shooting them himself.

Seems to me though that you have an opportunity to manage this property (although you believe I do not know what I'm talking about). Shoot a lot of the doe (who breed by the way), let the bucks grow up and shoot a nice buck each year. But I suppose the more and more I read you post, it appears you're not into meat (this we know) and now it seems you're not after horns. Seems you're just here to kill. And that's not very right in my book.

You're a joke Belo. You are so thick its not even funny. But thanks for regarding me so highly, I never thought I myself as a "crusader for the people". I just don't want Lyme myself or have it reoccur for the farmer and his family. It's not fun taking antibiotics, especially for a little girl and boy. What do I know, I'm a heartless bastard.

Did I ever say I pass up on the large does, are you deaf? Or so far sighted you can read the words on your screen? Maybe all that anti crossbow rambling has for you all wound up. Actually, I think you enjoy making a fool of yourself. That's why you keep coming back for more spewing your views over, and over, and over again. We get it, you think you're some kind of hotshot deer manager. Maybe in your past life, you were some kind of deprived person of self esteem that you need to think you are better than the next guy, no wait, that's your current life.

As for the farmer, I've always stated the stance that he is not a good shot. What does that have anything to do with whether or not he's there or not there? And yes, I would get slack if a buck was chomping on his crops and I stood by and did nothing. But that's a moot point, I'm not even are why you are bringing that up. Probably to satisfy some weird fantasy you have with horns.

Again, I'm not there to manage this property. I wasn't offered to, and I'm not in position to ask, ask, ask. You may not agree, but there's still people that give, before asking to take. If the farmer is happy with my help, MAYBE he'll ask me to manage his property for him and the deer along with it. Then, maybe I can choose what I WANT to shoot and not shoot. But I can't see that happening for at least a few years with the amount we're seeing. But that's fine by me.

So now you're ragging on the brown its down crowd? Just because I don't care for the meat, or after some horn fantasy, its "not right" in YOUR book?! Give me a break! So now you are not only ragging on meat hunters, also donation hunters as well?! Wow! Your stupidity doesn't end, does it?

It's pretty clear to me now that ANYTHING that does not conform to your ideal of what a hunter is, you bash. You've done it in the crossbow discussions, and you've demonstrated that here. You're a sad example of a conservationist, and I'm ashamed you call yourself a hunter.

If a person has nuisance permits to fill. Go for it. Like I said, its not for me. But a person who fills a bunch of these, easy kill,  permits and then posts pictures of the deer (some really small) and  then brags about it and taunts people by saying how he just throws out the meat, is a stone cold LOSER. End of story,,no deep thinking involved.

Not shawnhu though....thats different.

• Like 3

If a person has nuisance permits to fill. Go for it. Like I said, its not for me. But a person who fills a bunch of these, easy kill, permits and then posts pictures of the deer (some really small) and then brags about it and taunts people by saying how he just throws out the meat, is a stone cold LOSER. End of story,,no deep thinking involved.

Not shawnhu though....thats different.

So how exactly is it different? Or do you think you are smarter than the admins and trying to work around calling names directly? Come in Ants, you've gotta give our admins more credit than that.

As far as I'm concerned you're in the same level as Belo. You guys sure have an imagination. Maybe you can go satisfy his horn fantasies. So are you pitching, or he?

You misunderstand. The morality and legality  of filling nuisance permits is not the point.

Im talking about a person who is such giant loser, that he/she brags about deer he/she took on easy kill permits and then taunts people about it. I think that most people would agree that such a person is a colossal loser.

Whats with the "pitching" reference? You have to give the admins more credit than that.

• Like 1