New to the Hunting Scene - Queens

Vince1

City guy who wants something different. I have two boys and took a look at them watching TV one day and said that was it.

Been on an outdoor kick for the past 3 or 4 months and don't plan to stop. Currently taking up the Bow and learning how to camp and hike properly.

Built my own archery targets, own tent (just a painters tarp I altered an silicone water proofed)  and putting together my gear and building knowledge to start hunting and extend that knowledge to my kids and nephew.

hope ya don't mind me poking around the place.

take it easy.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Vince.  Another city guy, huh?  On of the fastest growing hunter populations.  The outdoors is great for the body, mind, and soul.  Good to see you're taking the interest and looking out for your kids.  I'm from the Bronx myself.

Welcome aboard, Vince. Another city guy, huh? On of the fastest growing hunter populations. The outdoors is great for the body, mind, and soul. Good to see you're taking the interest and looking out for your kids. I'm from the Bronx myself.

Indeed one of the fastest growing hunter populations. Welcome and good luck to you.

Indeed one of the fastest growing hunter populations.

That's cuz the rest of the state has been doin' it for ages! LOL

Heck, I didn't know what asphalt was til' I was 17 :sarcastic:

That's the point. In the country side, you're either into it or your not bit you at least know about it. For those in the city, it's a completely untouched market of potential hunters who many don't even realize such a thing is accessible to them but now more and more are being exposed to it than ever before.

• Like 2

for what it's worth, you don't have to hunt to enjoy the outdoors. I would encourage you possibly to start with small game to see if you have an appetite. A deer is a magnificent creature and tough to watch die sometimes. Try squirrel and turkey first. Maybe even just take the boys to a lake and fish. If you all eat it up, then look into deer. All game can get frustrating. Hours and hours of waiting to maybe get a shot. Ween them in on some higher probability game first.

just my .02

• Like 1

It's definitely going to be a learning experience for you and your sons . There is so much to do outdoors ( ie hunting , fishing , trapping , hiking  , camping , photography etc ). I would only suggest that you try to make it fun for your sons and not a chore.

Best of luck in the great outdoors !!!

Thanks for all the replys.

My boys are two and four and want to do what daddy does. My four year old loves to hike with me and exlplore out of the way places and keeps askin to have a bow like mine. So im good on that. Raise em right and they wont depart from it.

And. I was in the army statiined in cllorado springs and radcliff kentucky and grew to loooove the outdoors years ago. I was young though and was more interested in chasin tail then.

Now bein back in the city and life revolving around my kids i wish i knew more about the outdoors. So hear i am.

Will definitly start small. Though i set my own rule for small game. Dont kill nothin u wouldnt eat or feed to ur dogs. Dont feed ur dogs nothin u wouldnt eat.

Vince, after rereading some of your post, I'm starting to get a clearer picture but I could be wrong so let me know if I'm accurate or not.

I think you want to full outdoor experience.  Go out camping, hunt your food during the day, cook it over a fire at night, sleep in the tent type of experience.

The problem is there are not places you can do that near NYC.  You have to go deeper into the ADK and Catskills to do so.  Pretty much every place within an hour or 2 of NYC close off camping during hunting season.  I believe the reasoning is for safety.  Also, I would imagine a camper with a fire will pretty much scare off any animals and ruin hunting for any/every one else in the area.

Since the prime hunting season is fall/winter, I'm not so sure how safe it is to lug a 2 and 4 year old deep into the ADK for an over night stay.  Maybe you can eventually get to that point.

Hey elmo, you. Are almost correct. Full exp is what i am aiming for. But mostly witb me and one of my dogs. Plan on teaching my rotty how to track. Oddly she is listens to me and my lab sometimes ignores me.

With the family i will keep it simple till my boys are much older. Ligt one and two nighters.

Will look into some places further north thanks. But im gonna make sure i know what the hell im doin befoer i go

Stewart is not bad for new hunters who are trying to get their feet wet.  Yes, it is ridiculously crowded during deer season and when there's a pheasant release but during small game season, it's not that crowded.  You can find spots away from the mountain bikers and hikers.  Stewart is divided into "lots".  Hunters generally respect each other and when they see that there's already a hunter in that "lot", they leave him/her alone and find another "lot" to hunt.  Pretty much every hunter I've bumped into at Stewart has been friendly.  We greet each other, share some chit chat, some tips, etc.  Not a bad spot to get started as long as you play friendly and respectful of other hunters.

Thanks for the info. Definitly gonna check out stewart but scouting is an issue for me. Have to mix my scouting with family time. Wife is allowing me to sneak off as long as i devote some pool , hiking, grill time with them. Im allowed to sneak off and scout right before the kids take naps.

So igotta gk where the kids will get the most action. The good thing is stewart is only a half hour norgh so i maaaay be able to pull it off. Im also allowed a few solo hikes so it alll depends on what i can map out the best. I want to hit the ground with a good game plan.