Using the rain

WhitetailAddict11

As a self-proclaimed scent free whack job, I prefer to hang stands and hang/check cameras in a mild to heavy rain during pre-season and in-season. I really feel when keeping tabs on particular deer that require entry into dangerous areas as far as educating them is concerned, sneaking around in the rain is a legitimate tactic. Please share your own techniques and experinces.

Whitetailaddict, I couldn't agree more. hanging stands and clearing lanes is hard work. Despite all our effort to be scent free, its impossible. I usually sweat like a pig. Nothing like a good rain that day or the next to kill the stank. I don't worry about it too much if the season is 3 or 4 weeks out tho.

One year we were hunting a friends property on the side of a hill it was raining that morning so we put on our bright orange plastic type rain gear, we sat on a pine tree stump on the edge of some young pines about 100 yards from the top. 3 good size does and there young ones came down from the top stopped 5 feet in front and stayed there for about 5 minutes eating and slowly walked off. stayed there for another 2 hours but no bucks were following them.

• Like 1

Don't sit on a stump....Be the stump!

As far as using the rain, I do when I can. Pre season stands are usually in early enough to let things settle.

Checking cams and making mock scrapes/rubs is a good time to utilize an approaching rain since you'll be right in the deer's travel paths.

• Like 1

I like the topic for discussions sake, but I've never based my intrusions on the weather.

Don't kid yourself.., rain or shine, deer know when we've been there.

I guess what it boils down to for me is if it's an area that recieves high deer traffic, the odds are higher more deer wil have a reaction to human scent...and conversly... just as many more are apt to have no reaction at all, so it makes it a good killing spot if you want to play the 50/50 odds.

My few experiences with Deer Search trackers leads me to believe a good bit of precipitation can improve the odds of recovery hours later as it dissipates the scent for the dogs, opposed to a "dry trail".

I'll take their word for it!

Play the wind and weather all you want.., but the fact  is, these animals make a living out of surviving by paying attention to the most miniscule stimulous we overlook simply because they know they taste good!

Everything you said is completely true Wooly I just don't want to admit it!! I guess it's just a false sense of hope that I'm taking risks and hoping the rain works to my benefit. Most of my property's don't offer the safe bet of hunting the fringes for the good bucks on the properties. Of course I can see good deer numbers in general hunting the field edges, but my cameras and my experiences, as well as my fathers 30+ years say that slipping into the timber an "uncomfortable" distance so to speak, is the best chance of catching a rack buck. I always respect your knowledge though Wooly!

Hmm

Low presser system is usually associated with stormy weather.  After the storm comes the calm.  I can see how the boot or track made could seem to wash away yet the times we would usual be in the woods would be the calm after the storm so to speak.  I can understand why a persons scent would linger in the aftermath of a storm.  Calm, damp, light to no wind or updrafts. 

But Wooly nailed it again... 

"Don't kid yourself.., rain or shine, deer know when we've been there.

I guess what it boils down to for me is if it's an area that receives high deer traffic, the odds are higher more deer will have a reaction to human scent...and conversely... just as many more are apt to have no reaction at all, so it makes it a good killing spot if you want to play the 50/50 odds." 

I watch all of Dr. Grant Woods videos on his YouTube channel called "GrowingDeerTV" which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND, so informational!! Anyways, he said in one of his videos that during his studies of scrape lines for his master degree I believe he said, he found that scrape activity is at it's highest during a light to moderate rain or immediately after because bucks want to keep their scrapes good and stinky, so I will be sure to hunt in the rain more frequently this year when the wind is right!

I watch all of Dr. Grant Woods videos on his YouTube channel called "GrowingDeerTV" which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND, so informational!! Anyways, he said in one of his videos that during his studies of scrape lines for his master degree I believe he said, he found that scrape activity is at it's highest during a light to moderate rain or immediately after because bucks want to keep their scrapes good and stinky, so I will be sure to hunt in the rain more frequently this year when the wind is right!

I have read that also from many other sources.

Yep, Ive heard that too, and saw it happen last year. I got out in my tree stand about 20 minutes before the rain was going to pass, and not 5 minutes after it slowed down to a drizzle, I had a very nice buck come through and freshen his scrape line. I was not able to get a shot on him, but it confirmed what I had read about it.

I try to hang my cams and check them right before a rain if possible. Stands, I try to do the day before it rains.

I can't express how many mature bucks I have killed without spraying a single spray of scent killer on me. To me personally I think scent elimination is a scam to an extent.

I dont think its a scam but i think some ppl put WAY more into it than they should!!!