Early Season Tips

BizCT

I'm used to only hunting whitetails in NY during the gun season.  This year I will be hunting starting 9/16 in CT with the xbow. 

What are some early season hunting tips?

I assume at this time bucks are still in bachelor groups?

If I can get bucks on the trail camera in July and August, should I be hunting that area come September?

Thanks in advance.

Yea that's nothing new. They are bad in putnam county too. Usually pull 7-10 off a day hunting on a warm day. I never used any spray. Just check my clothes piece by piece as I take them off, then have my girlfriend check my body before showering.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Unlike gun season in NY, archery season deer are a lot easier to pattern because they aren't feeling the pressure of hunting and male deer chasing plus its light out a lot longer. You're going to get ticks on you no matter what you do. Just look for the bull eyes and any inbedded in you

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks. Hopefully I get some on camera.

hunt food sources at night, in between bedding and food source in the morning, bucks don't have tail on there mind or fightin other bucks, they have food on the brain to stack up for winter and grow bone to fight with, goodluck!

It has been my finding that some of the bigger old bucks won't always stay with a group, but will join the group at the feeding/watering zones. If you notice the group starting to get nervous right before dark, there could be a bruiser on his way in.

Have a stand close to where you park for warm days.  Getting all sweated up before getting in the stand is never a good thing and it is much harded to control early in the season (especially when sunny out)...  Don't by into the fact that cover scents or scent eliminators will do the trick...

Have a stand close to where you park for warm days.  Getting all sweated up before getting in the stand is never a good thing and it is much harded to control early in the season (especially when sunny out)...  Don't by into the fact that cover scents or scent eliminators will do the trick...

That's an interesting concept.

My advice is to get as close to the buck bed as possible.

...Hhhmmm posted this in the wrong place.....

Posted Today, 07:11 AM

by the way...when trying to see what is out and about at camp in Sept...I'll take a fawn bleat with me...this for bear sightings mostly...but it also has brought in doe and mature buck......I don't go over board...just enough to peek curiosity

Thanks all. I will be hunting from the ground, as always. I am a huge believer in scent control, I shower non scented, all my clothes are non scented, I don't bring stinky foods or drink coffee when I hunt. I have never used scents as attractants and doubt I will start. The area that looks best to me to hunt is like a creek bottom, its very moist down there with lots of cover. Seems to fit the description you guys describe. It's fairly close to corn fields that I can't hunt.

...Hhhmmm posted this in the wrong place.....

Posted Today, 07:11 AM

by the way...when trying to see what is out and about at camp in Sept...I'll take a fawn bleat with me...this for bear sightings mostly...but it also has brought in doe and mature buck......I don't go over board...just enough to peek curiosity

Yes, I've had a lot of success with doe bleat calls.

This is only my 2nd season using trail cams. Is it possible for a buck to still be in velvet in CT on opening day, 9/16?

It's possible, larger mature deer shed end of Aug. early Sept. Younger deer hold velvet a little longer. I can only speak of what I've seen in NY with my trail cams. Velvet comes off fast, once it starts bucks go crazy trying to get it off.

This is only my 2nd season using trail cams. Is it possible for a buck to still be in velvet in CT on opening day, 9/16?

It's possible, larger mature deer shed end of Aug. early Sept. Younger deer hold velvet a little longer. I can only speak of what I've seen in NY with my trail cams. Velvet comes off fast, once it starts bucks go crazy trying to get it off.

Cool, thanks for the info. The latest I got a buck with velvet on trail cam last year was 8/26, so I guess the odds are slim for 9/16.

i could be wrong but i thought you could only hunt with the xbow in jan in zones 11 and 12.  and yes you have a chance at a buck in velvet in sept.  last year i had a 4.5 year old 8 that had velvet untill the last week of sept. and throughout the years i have seen plenty in full velvet during the first 2 weeks of the season.  all i can say is hunt the wind if its not right and you go you will ruin that spot.  find different ways to walk in and out or u will get patterned fast.  early season i like to hunt staging areas in the afternoon, and i almost never hunt the mornings...cant see them walking in and dont want to spook them that early in the season.  i know plenty of ppl who hunt from the ground but i hate it.  even if you go 10 or 12 ft you are much better for a scent control guy like yourself why would u ever want to leave so much scent in their home sitting on the ground??!?!?!?!?!?! they can smell where u walk nevermind where you sit for hours.

I am approved by the state of CT to hunt with my xbow during archery season. Thanks for the advice, but I can only really hunt saturdays there since Sunday hunting is prohibited. Being that I don't hunt many days, when I do hunt, it is always dark-dark. Can't shoot a deer from the couch.