New York Taxidermy Mount Post

Muzzy

It's all in the eye of the beholder. WNYBH is not off base. Just his opinion and I think he stated that. Wilki you posted your work and of course that means its open to discussion. I like the mount but think the face is a bit over-done. Overall it is a real nice mount, you do nice work. I have a 10 pt Pope and Young deer I had mounted. It was at the time the head molds just started coming with muscle detail a bit more than needed. I had the deer mounted by a very respectable taxidermist. It came back and probably 75 % of the guys that saw it didn't like it. I loved it because it was a bit different than the classic shoulder mount. I remember that 10 point with a bigger neck and less muscle detail, the mount has just the opposite. I didn't bitch and moan because I really liked how unique it looked. It's all in the eye of the beholder!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say, I feel like I'm on taxidermy.net by reading some of these posts because this is how it always ends up in discussion.

Wilkie, love the New York Buck.

As a NY taxidermist, I can tell you that most if not all deer that come into the shop exhibit no detail. And that's because they are dead. That doesn't mean the deer didn't have some muscle detail when alive. Muscle detail and size of the neck decreases almost instantly after a deer expires. The only time you will see detail in the face area is if mounting deer from the deep south. YES some of us northern taxidermists do go overboard a bit when detailing the face area. I for one am guilty of it. However the muscle detail in the neck and the wrinkles on the back of the deer on a turned mount will be there. The bigger the swell the more detail in the neck.

Whether you know it or not most of the deer forms we receive today are sculpted by artists who usually own penned deer and are always studying the anatomy of their captive deer. The problem with this is that no two deer look alike. I have yet to have two deer come into the shop that look the same when it comes to facial features and ears. you have no idea how much altercations and modifications I must make to a form before I can mount up.

Just my .02

I gotta say I'm one of those guys that likes the extra detail in a mount.. natural or unnatural I like the character it adds to the mount... yes sometime it may seem a bit overboard but at least I know that the taxidermist cared enough to spend some time on the mount to make it interesting..not just pump it out for a $buck$.. no pun intended

Well i got to say i give them a thumbs up wiki. If anything the first may have a smidge too much detail but the second is awesome. I wouldn't be complaining either way. Of course that is coming from someone who has a lot of background in art and got to put up some museum specimens in college but nothing that involved.

• 2 months later...