Check In 2010

5.9cummins

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I took the last 10 days of bow season to chase that big 9 /10 point that I pass on shooting  Beginning of November.      I was so very sick nearly my whole vacation and only made it out The last 2.5 days of hunting bow.    I passed several bucks and already filled my doe tag when this Buck offered up a 24 yard quartering away shot on my last day last hunt.  The Rage dropped my 5th deer 4th buck in a row with in 50 yards .                  He is small, but I love venison too much to leave an empty tag in my inventory.  I do try to hold out for the big boys,    I resorted to the" IF its brown Its down"  guideline on the last day of the season.

My 13 year old did his first field dress on this buck.    Next year is going to be a great year for this father and son team.

lastbowseasonbuck2010006.jpg

out

lastbowseasonbuck2010008.jpg

rage entrance

lastbowseasonbuck2010017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i went out with the bow on sunday, saw 2 spike horns and blew about 10 deer out around my tree stand walking in. i did see about 3 very fresh rubs and 2-3 new scrapes, fresh made within the past 2 days or so.

thought it was odd to see scrapes this time of year??

If you;re a believer in the stages of the rut revolving around the second full moon(nov 21) after the Autumnal Equinox (this year was funky) like I do then it's right on schedule for the second rut.  This year was a later rut then normal.  During early bow there was a mini rut so to speak but if you hunted areas without a lot of pressure the core of chasing and seeking took place late bow into early gun in the southern zone with most of the breeding hitting second week of rifle which is why they seemed to vanish.  With the full moon here scraping and rubbing picked up again about 5-6 days ago, saw a lot of fresh rubs and scrapes last weekend doing drives.  The little girls should be hitting estrous any day now.  Not every believes in the phases of the moon but I since I started following it about 5-6 years my hunting success has increased leaps and bounds. 

Bow season is over at the end of the month?

As far as the area I hunt it all ended yesterday, but Westcher and LI go till the end of the month and in Suffolk county on weekends there is a special gun season(permit only) that goes thru the end of Jan.  For me NY is over but I start up again in a week and a half in NJ for the month of Jan.