Check In 2010

5.9cummins

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its always something.You wait all year and bam some guy on 4 wheeler screws things up in 2 seconds.Oh well what are gonna do?

Wheelers don't always mess thing up I had them go right by my stand last year and 10 minutes later there are deer.  I thought the same thing shit days over just putting my time in now but those deer always seem to amaze me.

My morning sit pretty much peeved me off. Right around daybreak, I noticed a deer out in the field, about 150 yards out. It was too dark to see just what the deer was, but by the size of the body, I was pretty sure it was a good size buck, and was hoping it was the big one I saw the other day. He was calm and content and just milling around when all of a sudden, a minivan stopped in the road that skirts the field. He backed up and turned his van into the field so that his headlights lit the whole place up. I looked toward the deer and sure enough, it was the one from the other day. Needless to say, he was gone in a flash and the a-hole in the van backed out and left. I just sat there in disbelief at what had just happened.  ;) I saw nothing the rest of the morning and came home. Ill be heading back soon for the evening sit.

Sat was awesome, started out slow, then I decided to rattle a little.  a 4 point came right passed my stand grunting all the way then nothing. About 1/2 an hr later I heard a commotion behind me and there were 5 doe making there way thu the woods  right at me. And all I could hear was a deep grunt behind them . Then there he was a nice 10 point in the 130's or higher.  Then they all veered to the right and stopped at 40rds. My left leg started shaking uncontrollably.  Then they all started moving away from my stand. I waited till they got about 70 yrds away and I grunted. He whipped his head around and looked my way and I threw a deer bleat at him and grunted again. He looked in my direction again then back at his does. I threw another doe bleat at him and he looked back at his does then turned and chased them down over the hill a way and i got to watch him run around after them for awhile the they took off down the hill farther. Hard to compete with 5 doe.

Last night 45min before sunset I had a Beautiful 9 point sneak up from behind me and to my left.  I had an open 35 yard shot but I was going to do every thing I could to seal the deal  so I waited for him to present a better shot in my Very High confidence zone.  He closed to about 18 yards two times and I came to full draw twice with no good shot options,  each time he did an about face , I think because the wind was all wrong.  After hanging around for about 5 min with is nose in the air He beat feet out of range.  Tried to call him back to no avail.  ten min later 4 doe popped out to my right,  If he had seen them he would have been hanging in my garage right now.    It was a good day on stand,  But it could have been great!

I can tell the deer are moving now and  come Thursday I will have 10 days off work to seal the deal with that bad boy, if someone does not do it with there car first.   

Yesterday was the day for me I saw three buck and one gave me a 17 yard shot Quatering away.  Made a double lung and the only thing that stoped it was the front shoulder.  He went 100 yards and that was it.  Was a long night getting him out but well worth the long hours I have been putting in.  This was the second day that I actually saw some deer.  He turned out to be a 6 pointer he has a half point that just isn't long enough to count.  He weighed 133 lbs dressed.  Now I am going to start the cut up process.  ;)

post-927-131455368494_thumb.jpg

post-927-131455368515_thumb.jpg

Saw alot of little guys and does this week, but about 8 hours a day in the woods in 7 of the last 9 days, haven't seen anything bigger than a large 4 point.  Trail cam is telling me they are coming out about an hour after I leave my stand at 6:15 in the evening.  Gonna have to figure out where they are bedding and try and ambush them during the mid-day move, stubborn just won't come out during daylight.

Getting ready to head out. I got up this morning and stepped out on the deck and it was in the 30's and wind was blowing hard. So i went back to bed. My wife just left for work and came speeding back down the drive way and said big ten had just crossed the road up into my stand area. So im out to freeze to death after him. Should be nasty