Check In 2010

5.9cummins

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son and I were out this morning. Nothing! I HATE full moon periods! Better days are coming...

Been in the stand for a total of 22hrs and have seen 3 deer. If it weren't for the cams letting me know that there are deer around, I might have thrown in the towel!

Average so far: 1 deer/7.33hrs stand time.

screwed up again last night.

The night before last when I was coming down the hill, I jumped a nice buck about half-way down the hill. On the way up, I spotted 1 scrape along the quad-trail at this location, and after seeing this buck I noticed another two. Looked like the spot had possibilities.

I hunted another spot yesterday morning, but decided to move in on this guy in the afternoon. I have no stands there, so I left a bit early and walked up the hill to look for a strategically placed fat tree big enough to set-up behind.

Here's the problem: I had no idea where this guy comes from and really didn't know which way to expect him to come in. No tracks, no trails, no nothin'. So, I backed off up-wind to a point where I could see the whole area and figured I would just use the spot that I picked for an observation stand to try to get an idea of what his routine might be for future hunts.

I was treating the whole thing a bit too casually, and I tipped my bow up against the tree, and sat back and enjoyed the great day.

5:00, he comes running in. Well maybe it was trot. Anyway, I was caught cold right in plain sight. The first I saw him he was already only about 50 yards away. Naturally I was on the wrong side of the tree. But what the heck this was only an observation situation anyway and I really didn't expect to be doing any shooting. That was a bad mistake. He turned and trotted right straight at me. At about 15 yards he made a turn and stopped broadside, posing for me and he still didn't notice me sitting there right in plain sight. He took a little glance in the other direction, and I took the break to reach for my bow. When I did that, my release dangling from my wrist ticked the bow limb. That was it ..... game over. He was gone. Just a total fiasco!

Well, we'll wait a week or so and test out that theory about a deer's memory that we talked about on a different thread. ;D

Doc

I hope you get another chance at him Doc!

Well that's twice that I've spooked him at roughly the same spot. I don't have a lot of confidence that I will get him there. However, I'm sure he has other activities around some of my other stands. So maybe I'll run into him again, or maybe not. I usually only get so many opportunities each year, and I can't afford to be screwing them up like that. But even though I blew it, there is still one heck of a lot of excitement about getting that close and I really enjoyed the experience.

Doc

Went out all weekend long. put about 16 hours in the woods. 

Saturday had a doe and two yearlings walk by at about 50 yards.  All were not of the size where I would take them.  Maybe next year. Lots os squirrels and chipmunks but over all quiet day.

Sunday morning got to my stand about 6:30. After getting up and getting situated I noticed something in the tree 20 yeards from me.  Just about that time the god aweful screaming started, over and over this thing screamed at me, I could tell it did not want me there.  As daylight broke it turned out to be a pair of bear cubs, hiding in the tree, but where was momma.  Well momma turned up about 15 minutes after daybreak and the two shot down the tree and were gone. 

About 10:15 had a really nice 8 point coming in.  Problem was it was dead down wind from me.  It snorted a few times at me, came to within 40 yards in this thick stuff, snorted again and slowly walked off.  Come to realize it was not snorting at me, but the male bear that was coming into the area from my left.  I have never seen bear in these woods, much less a pair with cubs.  So that ended my morning.  Went back out at 2 pm, had a 4 point run through on a mission at about 3 or so.  couple more does and my day was over. 

Lots of activity, just could not get a shot off. 

Well, we'll wait a week or so and test out that theory about a deer's memory that we talked about on a different thread. ;D

Doc

He'll have LOVIN' on the brain here in the next week or so, and you'll be the least of his concerns! That obsession has probably gotten a lot of us in trouble before....  :(

Went out all weekend long. put about 16 hours in the woods. 

Saturday had a doe and two yearlings walk by at about 50 yards.  All were not of the size where I would take them.  Maybe next year. Lots os squirrels and chipmunks but over all quiet day.

Sunday morning got to my stand about 6:30. After getting up and getting situated I noticed something in the tree 20 yeards from me.  Just about that time the god aweful screaming started, over and over this thing screamed at me, I could tell it did not want me there.  As daylight broke it turned out to be a pair of bear cubs, hiding in the tree, but where was momma.  Well momma turned up about 15 minutes after daybreak and the two shot down the tree and were gone. 

About 10:15 had a really nice 8 point coming in.  Problem was it was dead down wind from me.  It snorted a few times at me, came to within 40 yards in this thick stuff, snorted again and slowly walked off.  Come to realize it was not snorting at me, but the male bear that was coming into the area from my left.  I have never seen bear in these woods, much less a pair with cubs.  So that ended my morning.  Went back out at 2 pm, had a 4 point run through on a mission at about 3 or so.  couple more does and my day was over. 

Lots of activity, just could not get a shot off.

WOW!! That's one hunt to remember!! Those cubs must have been making quite a racket!

Been pretty sick this past week, but I did get out Saturday evening on my prime stand.  Saw deer come out juuuuuuust prior to dark.  I don't think they're moving much during the daylight right now with the nights as bright as day for them.  Seeing tons on the way out/back from the farm though after dark.  Warm this week, looking like damn near perfect conditions this next weekend though!  And I have the whoooooooooole of next week off!

Very windy on friday evening, 30 mph. had to does at 12 yards, not shot op. they were very weary...

had 3 buck Sat morn, one came in first light, to my estrus spray nose to the ground! hard!

little while later had another buck come in, small. hit em with the can and estrus spray boom right to the tree. i let him walk tho. they are starting to feel it. had one buck goin crazy for the can and estrus spray. it was funny. once he realized nothing was there he just walked...

Very windy on friday evening, 30 mph. had to does at 12 yards, not shot op. they were very weary...

had 3 buck Sat morn, one came in first light, to my estrus spray nose to the ground! hard!

little while later had another buck come in, small. hit em with the can and estrus spray boom right to the tree. i let him walk tho. they are starting to feel it. had one buck goin crazy for the can and estrus spray. it was funny. once he realized nothing was there he just walked...

What do you feel is the eventual effect of using estrous scent & bleat cans of getting them to respond in the future?

Will the bucks come in, but stay at a distance looking for the doe?

Or will they always respond with only one thing on their mind?

Inquiring mind....

Incredible sighting!  Thanks for sharing.  I caught myself smiling while reading your post.  :) 

What do you feel is the eventual effect of using estrous scent & bleat cans of getting them to respond in the future?

Inquiring mind....

i think they will start responding better as we get closer to the rut. I usually dont have them glass from a far distance looking for that doe. they almost always come in with in bow range to the bleet and estrus. Most of the time the ones who really respond come almost under the stand. The one buck came walking in quick when i heard the call and smelled the estrus. prior to that he was about 75 yards just standing there. i dont want to say they will ALWAYS respond the way you want them to. ive seen sometimes they are on a trail where a hot doe may have walked through and they really dont care what bleet or call your throwing at them, they are just busy sorting that trail out. If the wind is just right and there down wind, i have gotten them to stop and commit closer with the estrus spray. doesnt always work that way with them coming in down wind like that. but that was 3 deer doing what i wanted them too so my guess is they are starting to feel it with each day. i will not hesitate to do the same this weekend...

Well so far ...I had the 4pt come in Sat night at a differant spot ...offered several more ops....more doe with fawn and then he stopped by the house Sunday morning...I decided to sleep in ...but Mr. B talked to him a bit and tried to get pics...blurry....30yrds of the deck ::)

I had 10 doe and fawn come in this morning and I called 16 turkey off the roost...that dropped in the middle of 5 deer...all this between light and 9 am....Not shooting any thing but a big buck while these temps are so warm....Heard buck grunting before day light but wouldn't come in with the doe....I'm having a blast!!

Had a lot of help tonight ....... the deer did, that is. From 4:00 to 5:45, I had a couple of guys small game hunting throughout the area I was hunting (too late for me to move to another area). I say they were small game hunting, but I'm sure that the small game included chipmunks, chickadees and anything else that moved and maybe a few things that didn't. There was no way that any self-respecting deer would enter the obvious combat zone. In fact I was wondering just what the heck I was doing there myself. This is an area that's more than a mile from the road, and requires a long steep climb to get to.

Also, just in case any stupid deer was to stumble into the area, the wind was blowing like a hurricane, and circling to the point where I could never really say what direction it was trying to be. Sometimes I just get so damned stubborn, and it never really does do any good. ;D  Maybe next time I will recognize a losing situation when I see it and call it quits.

Doc

Inquiring mind....

This is NY state don't forget. They wont live past gun season to remember  for next yr ;)