Does Rattling work in NY?

NYBuckHunter27

depends on when it's done here and whether I hear other hunters trying...It's like scenting...If every guy around me is hanging ...spraying.... misting doe and buck urine every where...I won't even use food based scents..you can clearly see their negative reaction when they catch wind of it...If those same hunters are filling the morning calm with rhythmic..almost timed rattling grunting sequences...my stuff stays in the pac...though I will do a few fawn bleats...which have brought some nice buck in looking around...not many guys fawn bleat....I Love Decoying...

While bow hunting the last day of the season several years ago, I had  a nice 10pt come in and when he got a few yds. away from a doe in heat scent bomb I hung on a branch he stopped and worked over a small bush for at least 5 minutes, I watched him from 40+ yds away, gave him a few doe bleats and soft grunts and he finally came in. I stuck him at 10yds. Here's the best part, while sitting in my stand just enjoying the beautiful morning and wasting time before starting the trac, a HUGE 8 pt came in from down wind of the bush the other buck was working, he stopped a few ft. from the bush and started snort-weasing. I first thought he sneezed! I watched him for about 10 minutes as he got real aggressive and must have snort-weased at least 50 times. Loud and very aggressive, I'm pretty sure he smelled the other buck and was calling him out for a challenge. I wish I had a video camera with me it was something I will never forget. Until then I thought those grunt-wease calls were just some more crap for us hunters to spend our money on but really wouldn't work. I couldn't buy one quick enough! But like everything else, grunting, rattling, etc. it must be used in the right situation and under the perfect conditions. Good luck to all this season and by all means be careful.  :)

I have witnessed that same thing about 4 years ago with a 6 point tracking down a spike.  There really was no snort like I seen on those hunting shows it was all wheeze and it sure does sound like a sneeze.   That 6 would make that sound about every 10 yards or so.  The easiest way to mimic that sound and it does work to draw in an out of reach buck is to make a fist with your hand, put the thumb side against your mouth and blow hard into it.  Its fooled a buck or two over the years but I only use it when one is locked up and I have a visual on him.   Those bleat calls or cans have cost me more spooked bucks than any other choice of calling or rattling.  It works on inmature deer but every time I have used one on a mature buck they haul tail to the next county.  I no longer own one.

funny story...

a few years ago we are doing some work on cleaning up trails in the afternoon during bow season, as i am riding the quad back towards the house i see a gorgeous basket 6pt buck jump the logging road 20 yrds ahead of me, we go back to the house and have lunch i say to my buddy i'm gonna hunt the stand i hunted this morning (happens to be 200 yrds from where the buck was)

I get up into the tree 2-3 hrs before dark, i get all settled in and 1 hr later I hear a subtle grunt, 20 seconds later another gentle grunt getting closer (adrenaline is pumping now), I see a leg move through the thick dwarf pine and hear another grunt.... finally I see a doe come out and immediately hear a grunt behind her... ohhhh boy here comes that 6 is all i kept thinking (this all transpiring in 5 minutes) again another grunt, me adrenaline shakes now i see the leg, hear grunt, see the shoulder, comes closer see the neck, steps closer is see the HEAD hey no horns it's a doe, wtf? then she proceeds to grunt, and continues to grunt every 20 seconds as she walks away....  bummer.... but kool to watch

We in large don't have the best grasp on deer vocalizations.

I can't recall hearing a snort wheeze my whole life and about three years ago, I finally heard one and it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I've since heard it each year on a few days. Even seen the bucks making the sound. I've since used that call as a kitchen sink method. I run about 50-50 in turning larger bucks with it...when it does, it's a pretty interesting sight. They tend to come in forecfully rather than carefully slinking in.

The others turn inside out or lock up and wander off. I don't see much trying to get downwind of the sound to investigate quietly. If they are moving downwind, they're committed by coming aggressively.

I don't use that call without a visual, however.

It also seems to work better in Ohio than here in NY.

I've been experimenting with rattling and decoys ..without any luck yet ...lol...More than one I have turned a spooked doe or buck(scared by noise,not smell) around and back for a kill shot. I have also grunted at a nice 10 point that was just about to walk out of my shooting lane. He must have thought it was a starter whistle, because he turned on the afterburners.

Edited by ncountry

Rattling works, scents work and calling works all depends on when you do it and what the deer feel like that day. Ive had Bucks come right in and stand under my tree using all these tactics and then Ive had them ignore me no matter how loud ive called or how much scent ive sprayed. The way I look at it if your not seeing any deer do something else, whats the worst that can happen? still not seeing any deer?