Is this worth doing ?

noob52

I currently have a Mossberg 500 12ga. Slugster with the cantilever scope base, and I'm in need of opinions.

Does it make sense to dremel off the cantilever base and put a dnz game reaper mount on the receiver ?  or just leave it alone.

It is a really accurate gun, but I worry about the scope zero every time I take the barrel off to clean it.. 

Hopefully I'm clear on what I'm asking.

All assumptions are correct.

My concern is that it gets knocked around quite a bit.  Assuming that I don't remove the barrel mid season, is the scope better off on the cantilever or the receiver ?  Or am I splitting hairs ?

I've been shooting with a cantilever scope mount for years without a problem........I think the potential problem all comes from the barrel not being fixed to the receiver, no matter where you mount the scope, there's always the chance for something to move.....I'd keep it as is.

Think about what you are saying here guys. The barrel is the biggest factor in accuracy, so a cantilever barrel being taken off the receiver with the scope still attached to it is more than likely not going to be any less accurate when you put it back on than when you took it off. Unless you just plain put stuff back together wrong, or smacked the scope on something, youre fine.

What G-Man said.....

The main ADVANTAGE of a cantilever scope mount is the fact that the scope/sight is firmly attached to the barrel and much less likely to move.  With the scope mounted on the reciever ON  AN INTERCHANGEABLE BARREL SHOTGUN  , every time you take the barrel on or off, there is a chance of some misalignment..  I used a Rem 1100  for years with a reciever mounted scope, and eventually replaced it with a cantilever mounted scope.. I often had to adjust the reciever mounted setup, but in 20+ years the cantilever scope/barrel has retained it's zero  despite the barrel being taken on/off numerous times.

• Like 1

My concern is that it gets knocked around quite a bit. 

Patient:  "Doctor, Doctor, it hurts whe I do this" 

Doctor: " Don't do that"

How is it getting "knocked around"?  I am a firm believer that if you have optics on a gun a hard case is a MUST. If you are talking about anything other than transport concerns then no matter what mount you have your optics are in "danger" and the mount typ doen'st matter. Use it as a hammer or a crutch and you better be checking zero...lol

• Like 1