a nice one

boo711

I stopped at my uncles today to check out my trail cam I hung on one of his apple trees. Got about 50 pics of a 5 pointer with what looks like 4 pts on the right and one main beam on the left. There is one out there with just horns on the left. I have seen him in the field but have not gotten any pics of him. They are building over 120 homes behind my uncle next year so they will all be shooters this year. But I got 2 pics of this guy and this is the one I am hoping to see come 10/1.

post-2680-0-23305700-1377651904_thumb.jp

Your a baiter! Expect a visit from a game warden. I sent them this pic.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2[/quote

No worries. Not baiting, just putting the apples that are already on the ground, that the deer will eat anyways in a pile in front of the camera. Nothing illegal about that

Your a baiter! Expect a visit from a game warden. I sent them this pic.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2[/quote

No worries. Not baiting, just putting the apples that are already on the ground, that the deer will eat anyways in a pile in front of the camera. Nothing illegal about that

Haha. You are wrong, that is 100% ILLEGAL! I hope you get caught. There are acorns in the woods by me, I can't go around and collect them all and make a pile, that's illegal.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

For the record, I am not the type of person or hunter who is a law breaker. My aunt and uncle told me about all the deer they have been seeing in there yard so I brought my camera over the other day when I stopped to give my uncle a hand with something. I have been to busy to get my stands and cameras up. I do not want people on here to think I am a law breaker and to form a negative opinion. So after reading biz's last comment I called the DEC office and talked with an officer there. I told him what I had done and he informed we it is illegal to feed deer. I agreed with him and again explained to him what I did, the apples were there. He said he would have an issue with this if all apples from the trees had been consumed and I when out and bought more bushels of apples to keep feeding the deer. As far as baiting. He read me the one sentence defination from the hunting regs book. "It is illegal to hunt with the aid of bait or in a baited area when hunting big game, upland game birds, turkey or waterfowl". As long as I don't hunt there, which I can't hunt in the backyard due to the 500 ft discharge of a weapon law he said I am good. So Biz you can pile up the acorns, just as long as you don't hunt over those acorns or in an area that has the big pile. I apologize for the length of this post. I am glad I talked with someone about this and wanted to post this. Again I read this forum daily, but do not post to often. But I don't want people thinking negative when I do post.

For the record, I am not the type of person or hunter who is a law breaker. My aunt and uncle told me about all the deer they have been seeing in there yard so I brought my camera over the other day when I stopped to give my uncle a hand with something. I have been to busy to get my stands and cameras up. I do not want people on here to think I am a law breaker and to form a negative opinion. So after reading biz's last comment I called the DEC office and talked with an officer there. I told him what I had done and he informed we it is illegal to feed deer. I agreed with him and again explained to him what I did, the apples were there. He said he would have an issue with this if all apples from the trees had been consumed and I when out and bought more bushels of apples to keep feeding the deer. As far as baiting. He read me the one sentence defination from the hunting regs book. "It is illegal to hunt with the aid of bait or in a baited area when hunting big game, upland game birds, turkey or waterfowl". As long as I don't hunt there, which I can't hunt in the backyard due to the 500 ft discharge of a weapon law he said I am good. So Biz you can pile up the acorns, just as long as you don't hunt over those acorns or in an area that has the big pile. I apologize for the length of this post. I am glad I talked with someone about this and wanted to post this. Again I read this forum daily, but do not post to often. But I don't want people thinking negative when I do post.

Good follow up. I follow the logic of the DEC officer. Also- it is not illegal to hunt over apples that have fallen unless you have moved them at all.

Biz was just being a Troll. Making a fuss about kicking some apples around in his uncle's back yard? Give me a break.

I was just stating the laws. He can't hunt over those hand-placed apples.  How was I supposed to know it was a backyard and not a huntable area?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

When are they going to get rid of the baiting law in NYS. They sell all of the bait at GM, DICKS and Bass Pro but you cant put it out to get a few pictures of deer. I don't understand it??? Don't allow the stuff to be sold in your state if you don't want people to use it to attract deer.

The apples I don't have a problem with. They have already fallen maybe there was a really strong gust of wind and they all rolled into one nice pile right in front of the camera.

I was just stating the laws. He can't hunt over those hand-placed apples.  How was I supposed to know it was a backyard and not a huntable area?

You stated that you called and told on him. Maybe you should have asked before assuming. IMO it's not some horrible offense to kick some apples around under an APPLE tree to catch a better pic of a deer. 

You stated that you called and told on him. Maybe you should have asked before assuming. IMO it's not some horrible offense to kick some apples around under an APPLE tree to catch a better pic of a deer. 

I understand what you are saying, however your opinion is worthless in this matter. The state determines the laws/regs, not me or you.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Lol I would take that bet. You were trolling on him hardcore. Exclamation marks and capital lettering. You seemed pretty upset.

I can just picture the puzzled look on the DEC Officer's face when he gets the call that someone shuffled some apple's around under the tree that they fell from.

Lol I would take that bet. You were trolling on him hardcore. Exclamation marks and capital lettering. You seemed pretty upset.

Like I said, how would I know that is a backyard? The trail cam could have been attached to the tree in which he will be sitting come 10/1.  He said he hopes to shoot this deer, so I figured his camera was where he hunts. Most people put their cameras somewhere near where they plan to hunt.

Every single year there are lots of people in NY who get fined for "pre-established bait piles", look it up.  If the OP was going to make a bait pile with these apples and hunt over it, he would be fined. END OF STORY.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld