Mountain Lions

Taz1300

I miss the mountain lion posts from Empire. They were pretty entertaining so I figured I would start one.  :P  Never saw one, don't believe there are any. Kinda like Bigfoot the only way I'm gonna believe it is if I see a carcass. By the way where is Godzilla?

I actually talked to an individual who told me he had a 250 lb mtn lion cross the road in front of him with a 35 lb wild turkey in its mouth, seen at 2 a.m. coming home from his favorite watering hole, back 2 years ago when apparently Camden was over run by the critters. (unclear if it was the lions favorite watering hole or the viewer).

Which leads to the question, why did the wild turkey cross the road? Didnt have a choice.

I live in Cleveland, (midway between Camden and Constantia, for you out of towners). I have never seen one..and dont expect to. About  2 years ago, there was a fair bit of local news of a lion sightings in the Camden NY area.They ended apparently that fall. I though it was pretty funny how many people "saw" the lion once the sightings started. My acquantance who saw the liion cross the road swore by what he saw. Mebbe, but I dunno...

Well WNY seems as you had the most entertaining posts on Empire and this was kinda started as a joke, sure why not. I personally didn't post much on the old forum, but i sure loved reading the banter from all those who think that lions are here and those who don't. Like I said in an earlier post I'm a skeptic as well and won't believe til I see a body.

In 1998 in Orange County I was in a blind with one of my buddys that wanted to see what is was like to go hunting. I have my blind in between  a large swamp and a heavily dense patch of 3" but 25 foot tall trees that you can only see into them about 20 yards. on the other side of the swaps is tall cliff that runs about 1500 yards long, a nice bottle neck for deerhunting. About 45 minutes till dark I seen brown moving in the brush, drew up my gun and was waiting to see if was a buck or doe. Too my surprise 30 yards away the animal jumped onto a downed tree and started walking up the tree and jumped off in the the swamped not to be seen again. It was a Mountain Lion. Would have to say about 130 lbs. big feet and ears with a long furry tail. My knee caps started to shiver and my buddy seen it aswell. I only told my family and some friends. I think there are Mountain Lions in new york but how many and if they are breeding I dont know.

So not to upset you any more I will not use the word cougar any more.  Even though the word cougar is another name for Mountain Lion it is also slang for OLDER WOMAN.  And if you read any of the other post you would have seen that I do not think there are Mountain Lions in NY. Did you see Godzilla in my backyard?

I wouldn't be so positive there are none in NY state.  I know a couple of very well educated experienced hunters that swear they saw one.  I've spoken to them and I believe they are telling the truth.

It's possible someone had one as a pet and let it go in the wild.  It's also possible some idiots are releasing them here on purpose for some idiotic reason only they can explain.  There are reported sightings in Pennsylvania and Northern NJ as well.

What I want to know is, if I see one and shoot it, am I going to get screwed for it?