Mountain Lions

Taz1300

No, you can verify by photo or video, you just need to go to the same spot and get measurements of objects near the animal in question for a frame of reference. There was a reported Mountain Lion in the southern tier last year with a picture and everything. The news agency went back to the spot and took measurements which showed that the animal in the picture was a house cat. If there is one killed in NY, verifying that it was killed here would be pretty simple if its true. DNA testing can verify whether its a wild cat or not, the DNA in captive animals is very very similar to one another due to inbreeding, a wild cat would not show those signs.

Nah, the people just wanted to see one so bad that any cat of a somewhat similar color looked like one to them. They did not comprehend size compared to other objects around it. I wish I still had the link to the stories. The first story was the news organization reporting the ML sighting, the second was where they went and verified the measurements and discovered it was a kitty cat.

A week ago just about dusk, I had a fisher cat run across the road about  30 feet in front of me. At a dead run, as it was, I can easily see how the inexperienced observer may mistake them for a (black) cat...or panther, depending on how mush ...I mean much tape measure you have blin blinjkiinig.