Hunting license question.

Stretcher Guy

Important to note that our stupid state only allows 1 buck taken during the regular "shot gun" season and 1 buck taken in EITHER the bow or Muzzloader but NOT both!  If you shoot one during bow, you can't shoot one on Muzzloader.  I hunt all 3 seasons so I tend to do some major trophy hunting during bow so I can still hunt Muzzy.

I always understood it as you could not use your regular season buck tag during bow season.  am i wrong?

You are correct.  Did you get that impression from what I said?  I said that you could use your bow to hunt during the regular season (opposite of what you said.  IE:  You could put your shotgun down and hunt with your Matthews).  You can NOT use a regular season tag during bow season.

You are correct.  Did you get that impression from what I said?  I said that you could use your bow to hunt during the regular season (opposite of what you said.  IE:  You could put your shotgun down and hunt with your Matthews).  You can NOT use a regular season tag during bow season.

But during the late bow season you CAN use your regular season tage to take either sex

• Like 1

Important to note that our stupid state only allows 1 buck taken during the regular "shot gun" season and 1 buck taken in EITHER the bow or Muzzloader but NOT both! If you shoot one during bow, you can't shoot one on Muzzloader. I hunt all 3 seasons so I tend to do some major trophy hunting during bow so I can still hunt Muzzy.

So if I shoot a buck with bow and then have regular season buck tag left I cant shoot a buck with that tag? I didnt know that. Can the regular season buck tag be used in late muzzleloader season?

This is the first year that I will be deer hunting. I will be using a bow. I just picked up my new license, I have 1 regular season deer tag and 1 bow/mz season either sex tag. Does that mean I can take 2 bucks, 1 for each tag or 1 buck and 1 doe? (Not that I will be so lucky)

are you hunting in Suffolk County?

ok, Suffolk technically does not have an Archery season.....they have a regular season that only allows archery equipment.........so you would use your regular tag or both during that season. I called and confirmed this last year.

This applies to the DMP tags I got for Suffolk county too right? I can use the DMP's during Suffolk bow season b/c it is the regular season?

Important to note that our stupid state only allows 1 buck taken during the regular "shot gun" season and 1 buck taken in EITHER the bow or Muzzloader but NOT both!  If you shoot one during bow, you can't shoot one on Muzzloader.  I hunt all 3 seasons so I tend to do some major trophy hunting during bow so I can still hunt Muzzy.

incorrect. if you do not shoot a buck with your regular season (shotgun) tag, you can use that during late season. I'm too lazy to post the link, but it's on the dec's website.

So if I shoot a buck with bow and then have regular season buck tag left I cant shoot a buck with that tag? I didnt know that. Can the regular season buck tag be used in late muzzleloader season?

yes.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Regular and Special Season (Bow/Muzzleloading) and Tags

Q: I need to put in for my vacation time at work. What are the dates for next year's deer season?

A: See Future Big Game Hunting Seasons.

Q: May I shoot more than one deer in a day if I have the proper tags?

A: Yes, as long as you have the proper tags you may shoot more than one deer in a day.

Q: Which deer tags can I use during the first four days of the Northern Zone Bowhunting Season (September 27-30)?

A: Since the first four days of the Northern Zone Bowhunting Season are part of the previous license year, you must have a valid license, bowhunting privilege and an unfilled tag from the previous license year to hunt during this period. Any unfilled Bow/Muzzleloading either-sex deer tag, Bow/Muzzleloading antlerless deer tag, or Regular Season tag (now valid for deer of either sex) from the previous license year is valid for use during this 4 day period. Deer Management Permits are not valid during this 4 day period.

Q: May I use my Bow/Muzzleloading tags (either-sex and antlerless tags) during the Regular Season?

A: No. Bow/Muzzleloading tags are only valid during the special bowhunting and muzzleloading seasons depending on which privileges you purchased. Bow/Muzzleloading tags are not valid during the Regular Seasons, except in Westchester and Suffolk Counties or by junior archers hunting with a bow during the regular seasons.

Q: May I use my Regular Season deer tag during the special seasons?

A: Your Regular Season deer tag cannot be used in the Early Bowhunting* or Early Muzzleloading seasons. It can only be used in the Regular Deer Seasons in the Northern and Southern Zones to take a buck. Except, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex in Westchester & Suffolk counties, in areas restricted to bowhunting only (WMUs 4J and 8C), and during the late seasons with the appropriate bow or muzzleloading privileges. During the late seasons, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex.

* Your previous year's unused regular season deer carcass tag, accompanied by your previous year's bow privilege, can be used from September 27-30 during the Northern Zone Bowhunting Deer Season and is valid for deer of either sex during this period.

Q: Why are bowhunters not allowed to use the regular deer tag during the early Bowhunting Season?

A: The simple reason is as a measure of fairness. Adult bucks are a limited resource, and many hunters go multiple seasons before successfully harvesting a buck. To allow bowhunters the opportunity to harvest two bucks prior to the opening of the gun season would be to provide bowhunters an unfair advantage.

Q: Can I use my antlerless Bow/Muzzleloading tag in a unit where the muzzleloader hunting regulations specify only antlered deer can be taken?

A: No. You may only shoot deer that can legally be taken in the unit in which you are hunting. The individual unit regulations and tag requirements must both be satisfied and dictate what may be taken during the muzzleloading seasons.

Edited by Belo

Forgive me if this is a hijack of the thread, but I think it is pretty on topic. I am also a newbie trying to sift through the details of what is correct.

From the above post and looking through the DEC website, I find the following:

Regular license which includes "big game" - one regular season deer tag

Bow privilege (must have regular license to obtain):  one bow/mz season either sex tag AND one bow/mz season antlerless deer tag

Bow/Mz tags can ONLY be used in Bow/Mz season. You can hunt with a bow during regular season, but must use you regular tag for that harvest

Regular tag can be used in regular season OR late Bow/Mz season. To use in late Bow/Mz season, you must have the appropriate Bow/Mz privilege. Of course, to use the regular tag in late bow/mz season you must also be hunting with a bow or muzzleloader.

Am I correct so far?

Now my newbie questions. I am in the southern region in the Catskills. My WMU has an antler restriction. Rifle hunting is allowed in my county (during regular season).

The DEC web page here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html talks about Deer Tag Types and Privileges. When discussing bow hunting (either with the Bow tag or with the regular tag during late bow season) it indicates the antlerless tag restriction only applies to "certain Northern Zone WMUs which are for Antlered Deer Only."

Has that page simply not been updated to include the southeast WMUs in the antler restriction program?

In a WMU with antler restrictions, how do the bow tags work (including regular tag during late season)? 

Forgive me if this is a hijack of the thread, but I think it is pretty on topic. I am also a newbie trying to sift through the details of what is correct.

From the above post and looking through the DEC website, I find the following:

Regular license which includes "big game" - one regular season deer tag

Bow privilege (must have regular license to obtain):  one bow/mz season either sex tag AND one bow/mz season antlerless deer tag

Bow/Mz tags can ONLY be used in Bow/Mz season. You can hunt with a bow during regular season, but must use you regular tag for that harvest

Regular tag can be used in regular season OR late Bow/Mz season. To use in late Bow/Mz season, you must have the appropriate Bow/Mz privilege. Of course, to use the regular tag in late bow/mz season you must also be hunting with a bow or muzzleloader.

Am I correct so far?

Now my newbie questions. I am in the southern region in the Catskills. My WMU has an antler restriction. Rifle hunting is allowed in my county (during regular season).

The DEC web page here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html talks about Deer Tag Types and Privileges. When discussing bow hunting (either with the Bow tag or with the regular tag during late bow season) it indicates the antlerless tag restriction only applies to "certain Northern Zone WMUs which are for Antlered Deer Only."

Has that page simply not been updated to include the southeast WMUs in the antler restriction program?

In a WMU with antler restrictions, how do the bow tags work (including regular tag during late season)? 

you are almost correct to that point. if you purchase Bow priveleges you get ONE addition tag and it will be Either sex. If you wer to purchase a second privelege like ML you get another tag that will be antlerless only.

I have no idea bout the page but the map is clear and up to date in on the website for the AR areas.

In the AR areas there are 3 type of deer.

Antlerless (having no antlers or antlers that measure less than 3")

Antlered Deer with  non qualifying antlers (having at least one antler greater than 3" but less than 3 points of !" or more)

Legal antlered Deer (Having at least one antler with 3 points of 1" or more)

Those in the non qualifying category are off limits to ALL tags.

If you take and antlerless the ONE bow tag you have can go on as an antlerless or it can be used to take an antlered.

Your regular season tag in the regular season must be used on a Legal AR deer. in teh late seasin it can be used like your either sex bow tag.

Just a note. If you purchased a boq license , even though it says Bow/ML it is ONLY for bow until you purchase the ML priveleges.

Now my head hurts I am going for a drink