cop removing safe act signs.....

growalot

HELLO PPL....here it is in a nut shell...A whiny neighbor that may not like guns called a female supervisor....SHE usurped the land owners right to free speech and ordered the cop to remove the sign....now if that supervisor had ordered him to remove ALL signs in the town that were in the towns right of way OK...but it was just one sign...the officer should have made sure that in the performance of his job..... all regulations were adhered to..HE should have made sure that a letter was sent...and he held a copy...if the land owner has a reasonable time to comply  then that time should have been given...A knock on the door or a note attached to his door should have happened at the time of removal...How many had disappeared before the camera went up?

There are regulations on the books to a towns, village, states right of way or easement...until some one finds and posts those no one knows for sure...BUT as I said if his was the only sign...and that includes political and or real estate ect signs removed...The supervisor and officer were in the wrong...She is covering the towns collective back side...If there is no timed computer record ...or a certified mailing made...Letter never happened...no proof other than her word and when in a government position...unless totally incompetent records are ALWAYS made and on file for these reasons

• Like 1

HELLO PPL....here it is in a nut shell...A whiny neighbor that may not like guns called a female supervisor....SHE usurped the land owners right to free speech and ordered the cop to remove the sign....now if that supervisor had ordered him to remove ALL signs in the town that were in the towns right of way OK...but it was just one sign...the officer should have made sure that in the performance of his job..... all regulations were adhered to..HE should have made sure that a letter was sent...and he held a copy...if the land owner has a reasonable time to comply  then that time should have been given...A knock on the door or a note attached to his door should have happened at the time of removal...How many had disappeared before the camera went up?

There are regulations on the books to a towns, village, states right of way or easement...until some one finds and posts those no one knows for sure...BUT as I said if his was the only sign...and that includes political and or real estate ect signs removed...The supervisor and officer were in the wrong...She is covering the towns collective back side...If there is no timed computer record ...or a certified mailing made...Letter never happened...no proof other than her word and when in a government position...unless totally incompetent records are ALWAYS made and on file for these reasons

Well, the fact is that we don't know any of those facts do we? We don't know whether it was on public or private land. We don't know for a fact that his sign was indeed the only one removed. We don't know whether the letter was really written, sent or received. We don't know whether letter writing is even a part of the required town ordinance procedure. We don't know whether any regulations or procedures were not adhered to. We don't know whether a personal contact is required by law. That seems like a lot of ifs and unknowns to base any conclusions about the propriety of the confiscation. I don't know about any one else, but I haven't found a copy of their particular town ordinance regarding signs and the procedures for removal of illegal signs. So I'm not ready to say that anything at all was mis-handled. See, I view the whole thing as their problem to work out locally by those that know their particular laws. And I'm sure that in coming months, all the lawyers and such will have fun deciding that. All I know is that from this computer chair, I am not capable of determining the right and the wrong of it all. And I'll bet there probably is no one on this forum that is in an adequate position to make that determination.

http://ecode360.com/11115807?highlight=signed,signs,sign

here's a link to the Town of Somers codes.........

It kind of looks like signs in general are not allowed in residential areas even on private property. Professional signs for businesses, for sale signs, and directional or safety instructional signs for multifamily buildings are about the only ones allowed in residential districts. As far as the procedures for handling violations, I didn't see any in that particular section. So like I said, we sitting here at our computers are ill-prepared to pass judgment on whether proper channels were followed and whether the right office did the enforcement.

That reply doesn't warrant a well thought out response but here's a cheap shot. I see you are from the town of Cicero, the same town which constantly debates whether the town should be policed by the sheriffs office or the town police. Instead of doing the fiscally responsible thing they continue with the redundancy of two police agencies. Knowing this I am not surprised by your response.

Sorry ..I missed this post....... What does this have to do with accusing a cop of being a criminal????   NOTHING???? Yeah thats what I thought you didn't have the BALLS to say..... I hope your family isn't following along on this sight  because you sound way beyond gutless and Pu$$y. 

Hey the town of Cicero Police Dept, just switched from black patrol cars to white patrol cars. Sounds like blatant  RACISM  to me.  LOL!!!!

Silly little people... LOL!!!!!

Sorry ..I missed this post....... What does this have to do with accusing a cop of being a criminal????   NOTHING???? Yeah thats what I thought you didn't have the BALLS to say..... I hope your family isn't following along on this sight  because you sound way beyond gutless and Pu$$y. 

Hey the town of Cicero Police Dept, just switched from black patrol cars to white patrol cars. Sounds like blatant  RACISM  to me.  LOL!!!!

Silly little people... LOL!!!!!

Wow.

• Like 1

I lived in Bayshore LI many years ago and just couldn't put my finger on why the town of Brightwaters directly south of us looked so classy and neat until one day I hung a sign on a telephone pole on a road in Brightwaters advertising a new business venture I was eagerly undertaking. Well I promptly received a call from the Brightwaters police dept that evening with a warning to never hang a sign in their town again.

Im sorry but in many of our upstate towns we have yard sale signs, roofing company signs, car detailing, get with Jesus, save this and save that, gaming, fracking and worst of all Political vote for me signs for elections which seem to come up every other month anymore. Its to a point where it just looks low down and trashy when you pull up to any intersection and everyone and anyone has something stapled to a pole, which by the way will never be remove till Mother nature blows the thing off and it ends up on laying on the street.

I understand that everyone wants to exercise their constitutional right to put up signs but other people want to preserve the right to have their neighborhood not look like some kinda low class Times Square either.

I lived in Bayshore LI many years ago and just couldn't put my finger on why the town of Brightwaters directly south of us looked so classy and neat until one day I hung a sign on a telephone pole on a road in Brightwaters advertising a new business venture I was eagerly undertaking. Well I promptly received a call from the Brightwaters police dept that evening with a warning to never hang a sign in their town again.

Im sorry but in many of our upstate towns we have yard sale signs, roofing company signs, car detailing, get with Jesus, save this and save that, gaming, fracking and worst of all Political vote for me signs for elections which seem to come up every other month anymore. Its to a point where it just looks low down and trashy when you pull up to any intersection and everyone and anyone has something stapled to a pole, which by the way will never be remove till Mother nature blows the thing off and it ends up on laying on the street.

I understand that everyone wants to exercise their constitutional right to put up signs but other people want to preserve the right to have their neighborhood not look like some kinda low class Times Square either.

well said.......

Edited by jjb4900