30-06 VS. .270

Guest FrostyLeaves

Lawdwaz, on 11 Oct 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

.243 Winchester is THE only way to go................................................. B)

Yep.....if you want to start wearing a skirt.

J/K.....don't get those frilly lace panties in a bunch you got on under the Carhartt's.

:girlcrazy: 

Yep.....if you want to start wearing a skirt.

J/K.....don't get those frilly lace panties in a bunch you got on under the Carhartt's.

:girlcrazy:

I heard that Larry goes COMMANDO under his Carharts...

Just a rumor that was going around the beauty salon...

I had a 300 Savage that could stack shots on top of each other at 150yds. 200+ yards...magnums would probably win the accuracy game. But in real life deer hunting situations (for most people) the 300 Savage is a great round. I wish I never sold mine.

180 grain comparison:

.300 savage = 2,350 ft/sec, 1,728 ft/sec @ 200yds

.300 WBY Mag = 3,120 ft/sec, 2,866 ft/sec @ 200 yards

Would you like the major differences at 100, 200, 300, 400 yards, etc?  The .300 savage has like double the drop in inches.

• Like 1

Biz, That is ballistic information and NOT accuracy information.

Say you can only sight in your gun once and had to shoot at 50 yards, 100 yds, 150yds, 200 yds, 250yds, 300yds, 350yds, and 400yds with both guns.  which gun would you shoot better with?  The .300 savage with its 30"+ drop? lol. You would be way more accurate across the board with the .300 WBY Mag.

Say you can only sight in your gun once and had to shoot at 50 yards, 100 yds, 150yds, 200 yds, 250yds, 300yds, 350yds, and 400yds with both guns.  which gun would you shoot better with?  The .300 savage with its 30"+ drop? lol. You would be way more accurate across the board with the .300 WBY Mag.

Well, sure but everyone else is talking pure accuracy: how well a gun can group bullets not what the trajectory is. A 50 BMG will be more accurate than your 300 at 1000 meters but accuracy has a lot less to do with caliber than the specific gun. Even 2 of the same caliber guns made by the best custom gunsmith will have accuracy differences. Heck, even the same gun with a newer barrel will shoot more accurately. On top of that- different ammunition through the same barrel be more accurate than others.

• Like 1

That ballistic information does NOT equate to accuracy at any range. Put both guns in a vice and use a remote trigger pull. which ever gun tossed the best group REGARDLESS  of the amount of drop IS the most accurate GUN.   Having less drop at 400 yards that another caliber with a larger center to center grouping means nothing.

That ballistic information does NOT equate to accuracy at any range. Put both guns in a vice and use a remote trigger pull. which ever gun tossed the best group REGARDLESS  of the amount of drop IS the most accurate GUN.   Having less drop at 400 yards that another caliber with a larger center to center grouping means nothing.

If you did this test, the .300 wby mag would score better than the .300 savage. I have no doubt.

I completely understand what you're saying and it is something i should consider but when i said i was choosing the 30-30 it was not due to the caliber it was just because i have shot and used a marlin 336 before and i honestly fell in love with it but initially i didnt want to choose that rifle because my uncle and grandfather both have it... After talking them and joking around a bit we all decided that if i like that rifle and it is one of the rifles that they have used and still do than i its what i want then i should get it. It came away from decidin on what caliber than a rifle and bought that most of those caliber a can all get the job done so i should pick a rifle than caliber. I do appreciate the point you made though

Good choice for a young fellow and his first rifel,That was my first also and bought one for my son and he got his first deer with it.A group we hunted with one of the fellowes used that rifle and caliber got his deer every year with it and I have seen him drop a good size adult doe at 100 yards with it.

I mentioned the .300 sav with less recoil in mind for a smaller shooter. I'm biased just because we have one in the family. It was my grandfather's. As the story goes they bought 3 that day. he picked the one in .300 sav because it was a "flat shooter" vs the other 2 that were .30-06.

I forgot the thread title was .30-06 vs .270. Sorry 'bout that. 

Biz, I know you wear Weatherby underoos, but I found you these. LOL. 

post-10-0-59824400-1381787866_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

180 grain comparison:

.300 savage = 2,350 ft/sec, 1,728 ft/sec @ 200yds

.300 WBY Mag = 3,120 ft/sec, 2,866 ft/sec @ 200 yards

Would you like the major differences at 100, 200, 300, 400 yards, etc?  The .300 savage has like double the drop in inches.

Nope...just saying that the 300 savage  is a damn good, non magnum  deer round round out to the 150- 200 yard range. Magnum rounds are a different story.

By the way, do they even make the .300 savage anymore? Only did a quick search, but can't find anything. Did they discontinue this model? if so, why?  Why would they discontinue such a great shooting cheap piece of junk?

the same reason some feel the need to try and get crossbows into archery season, I can only imagine the damage a magnum cartridge can inflict on an already fragile body...........how's that?

the same reason some feel the need to try and get crossbows into archery season, I can only imagine the damage a magnum cartridge can inflict on an already fragile body...........how's that?

That's the reason they stopped making a 300 savage? Odd.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2