Fat and hair no blood.

First-light

sounds like you hit high... i like those close shots but many guys use there first pin in most cases is 20 yards and its just not enough to compensate for the height in the tree and the shot goes high. try shooting at a 3d target from that height at 5 yards and see where your arrow goes, it will go way high. 

i have what i call a tree stand pin above my 20 yard or first pin. its only used for my tree stand and its good from 5-15 yards being dead on. i love those close shots but you have to practice it and have a pin either designated for it or know how to aim low with your first pin.

the close range shots are only chip shots IF you know how to make them... i love em cause if done right they drain em out quick and you get blood immediately due to high entry low exit. good luck finding him but i dont know how that will go for you

Geno,

I used my 10 yard pin and held it low on him.......

Just to give you some insight on what it takes to shoot that close... My top pin (green) is what I call my tree stand pin, take note to how high above my 20 yard is. its dead on for those 5-15 yards and in. I can smash a golf ball everytime with it. It really takes the guess work out for me when their that close. post-252-13823756147041_thumb.jpg

post-252-13823756408419_thumb.jpg

post-252-13823756591905_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

3-5 yards I would have just clenched my buck nighthawk hunting knife with my teeth and jumped down on the deer while yelling Tarzan noises.

Just kidding with you.  It happens.  I shot a nice tree this weekend.  You'll get 'em next time.

BTW, at 3-5 yards you have to aim high because your arrow starts out under your sight and is still rising to the pin.

Edited by Elmo

3-5 yards I would have just clenched my buck nighthawk hunting knife with my teeth and jumped down on the deer while yelling Tarzan noises.

Just kidding with you.  It happens.  I shot a nice tree this weekend.  You'll get 'em next time.

BTW, at 3-5 yards you have to aim high because your arrow starts out under your sight and is still rising to the pin.

Elmo,

Aim high with my 10 yard pin?? I thought it would be low cause of the close proximity? 

• Like 1

Aim high if you're using your 20 yard pin.  Your arrow starting point is below your sight.  If you are shooting something right in front of you, your arrows will hit below where your sight is at.  The arrow is rising upwards in it's flight at usually reaches it's peak height at 20 yards (how most people have their bows setup).  After 20 yards is when the arrow starts to drop and starts come back down.  You can also do what phade suggested which is using your 30 or 40 pins.

Edit:  Didn't realize you use a 10 yard pin.  I actually don't use a 10 yard pin.

Edited by Elmo

I've shot several deer at 3-5 yrds ...shooting instinctive I don't have to worry about pins...the tip of broad head is brought low enough that it actually isn't on the deer...that will put the shot just above mid-range over the ribs...I am also Oh so careful about bending at the waist and not dropping my arm....I do practice that shot a lot...deer sneaking in that close happens often...some stands make it a now or never shot due to the angle that they'll take before going into brush

Aim high if you're using your 20 yard pin.  Your arrow starting point is below your sight.  If you are shooting something right in front of you, your arrows will hit below where your sight is at.  The arrow is rising upwards in it's flight at usually reaches it's peak height at 20 yards (how most people have their bows setup).  After 20 yards is when the arrow starts to drop and starts come back down.  You can also do what phade suggested which is using your 30 or 40 pins.

Edit:  Didn't realize you use a 10 yard pin.  I actually don't use a 10 yard pin.

I guarantee if you aim high with a 20 yard pin in a modern bow you will be high at 3-5 yards.

The faster the bow, the less you have to worry about tree stand compensation, but as stated, practice is above all else the best.

Most bows are set up so that the apex of the arrow on a level surface is around 5-15 yards. This all depends on the speed of the bow and the sight alignment. But at a 45 degree angle, gravity only plays about 50% of the actual distance, hence it was more like a 2.5 yard shot.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I guarantee if you aim high with a 20 yard pin in a modern bow you will be high at 3-5 yards.

I've never tried 3-5 yards.  I aim maybe an inch or two above the bullseye with my 20 yard pin at 10 yards and pretty much hit bulls eye all the time.  Haven't tried it in a while but I think that's pretty much where my 30 yard pin would be.

1000% correct... was thinking the same thing. slower bows or older ones that philosophy may be correct but new faster bows your would miss the deer my feet.

not even sure if aiming high with an older slower bow would make it right by aiming high, its simple math really...

I've never tried 3-5 yards.  I aim maybe an inch or two above the bullseye with my 20 yard pin at 10 yards and pretty much hit bulls eye all the time.  Haven't tried it in a while but I think that's pretty much where my 30 yard pin would be.

are you trying this at 20-30 feet in the air??

and what kind and how old is your bow?

No, from level ground.  I use the Bear Charge.  it's 2-3 years old.

am i confused here? weren't we talking about shooting from a tree 15-20 feet up and where to hold? 

i was going to ask if you were shooting from ground level, that would make more sense but shooting from a tree stand and using that tactic i cant see working...

at 3 yards on the ground you can use any pin and it would slide right where it has to be, its a lot dif when you had that angle in

• Like 1

am i confused here? weren't we talking about shooting from a tree 15-20 feet up and where to hold? 

i was going to ask if you were shooting from ground level, that would make more sense but shooting from a tree stand and using that tactic i cant see working...

at 3 yards on the ground you can use any pin and it would slide right where it has to be, its a lot dif when you had that angle in

Haven't tried in from a tree.  So if on a tree, a deer 3-5 yards I should actually want to put the 20 yard pin below my intended target?  Interesting.