Blaze Orange during bow ?

JimR

On a drive from Buffalo to Dansville this weekend I noticed a person in a tree stand. I assume this person was bow hunting for deer (why else would you be up in a tree stand, at 9:00 am this time of year?) The reason I was able to notice this person, as I was doing highway speeds on the 90, was they were dressed in blaze orange. As I do not bow hunt I found this unusual as the pics I see of bow hunters allways have them in camo. Is this as odd as I think it is , or do some of you bow hunters wear orange while bow hunting ?

He probably just wants to be safe. Small game seasons are open. Can't knock the guy for wanting to be safe. I'm headed to PA soon with my xbow, I wear orange to/from where I am sitting on the ground. I don't want somebody to think I'm a coyote and shoot me.

For some reason he wants to be sure other hunters see him, not that wearing orange will really hurt his chances of getting a shot at a deer.I've shot many deer at close range while wearing orange and one was with a bow, but I prefer to wear camo while bowhunting, mainly so other hunters won't see me and know where my stands are.

Edited by Cabinboy

The safety angle makes sense. I also considred the economics of two sets of hunting clothes, perhaps a gun hunter as well  who figures the orange can do double duty. I'm not trying to knock the guy, I just found it curious thats all.

bow deer season & turkey - wear camo

gun (small game/bird/deer) - wear orange

Keep orange vest in the back seat if bow hunt or turkey hunt in the morning switch to small game or pheasant in the late morning or afternoon.

usually have an orange cap in my waist pack just in case...

Threw the years I have had every type of material and everything from black and red plad wool ,fleece orange and camo ,wool camo, cotton orange, wool black and green and other popular camo fabrics and patterns, some cheap and some of the most expensive. All I can sayis that I have not gotten any more deer,turkey,rabits and so on wearing camo then I have wearing bright orange.   

We all have experienced our eyes playing tricks on us while we were hunting... We pick up our binoculars to find out its a log or,, just brush blowing around in the breeze.... Please be honest to answer my questions.... #1 - nys makes our back tags a different color every year... I don't know why... I mean really is some dec officer going out in the woods an they won't bother you as long as you have the right color back tag on... So my question is why don't they just make the color of the back tag blaze orange every year.... At least it could be blaze orange for the youngsters who are required to wear blaze orange.... Just a thought since we pay for the cost too change the color of the tag every year.... #2 - if it's true deer can't see red... Then why am I wearing camo... I mean shouldn't I put on a Santa suit an just walk right up to them since they can't see me...lol ,,, Yea a little sarcasm but... I hope everyone is sure of there target and beyond... Have a safe season...

I wear blaze orange while I get into my stand.  Once I am situated I take the blaze orange off for full camo and then put it back on when im leaving.  Better safe than sorry.

that's me. even during gun, but not bow. but i hunt private land with little problems with tresspassing. not that it's unrealistic, but for someone to shoot at me in a tree during deer season? that's pretty tough to buy.

I would never knock someone for wearing orange and being safe, but I am head toe camo for all seasons (while in my stand).  I don't walk around, so I am not concerned about being shot.  If someone thinks I am a deer in a tree stand, then Orange wouldn't help anyway.  If I am tracking a deer or doing a drive, then yes I wear orange.

As far as the comment about deer not seeing red (or orange), I personally don't care what a biologist thinks, they are full of BS.  I can't tell you how many times in the past when I did wear orange, that a deer picks me out like I have a flashing neon sign on me.  In camo, I have had deer damn near step on me without being seen.  Blending in with your surroundings is the key IMO.  i am 10000% believer in camo.

Edited by beachpeaz

As far as the comment about deer not seeing red (or orange), I personally don't care what a biologist thinks, they are full of BS.  I can't tell you how many times in the past when I did wear orange, that a deer picks me out like I have a flashing neon sign on me.  In camo, I have had deer damn near step on me without being seen.  Blending in with your surroundings is the key IMO.  i am 10000% believer in camo.

What type of BO were you wearing whe you were Picked off?

We all have experienced our eyes playing tricks on us while we were hunting... We pick up our binoculars to find out its a log or,, just brush blowing around in the breeze.... Please be honest to answer my questions.... #1 - nys makes our back tags a different color every year... I don't know why... I mean really is some dec officer going out in the woods an they won't bother you as long as you have the right color back tag on... So my question is why don't they just make the color of the back tag blaze orange every year.... At least it could be blaze orange for the youngsters who are required to wear blaze orange.... Just a thought since we pay for the cost too change the color of the tag every year.... #2 - if it's true deer can't see red... Then why am I wearing camo... I mean shouldn't I put on a Santa suit an just walk right up to them since they can't see me...lol ,,, Yea a little sarcasm but... I hope everyone is sure of there target and beyond... Have a safe season...

In the Northern Zone, we are not required to wear our tags on our back.  I truthfully have always thought that was silly.  if people want to see your numbers from a distance and do not have binos guess what they use.  My tags are in my pack so orange or not they are unseen.  As far as the orange on a bow hunter good for him.  or her depending on the gender. 

.... #2 - if it's true deer can't see red... Then why am I wearing camo... I mean shouldn't I put on a Santa suit an just walk right up to them since they can't see me...lol ,,, Yea a little sarcasm but... I hope everyone is sure of there target and beyond... Have a safe season...

Becasue you would still be a solid color grey in a silhouette that is NOT natural. The other thing to consider is how you wear any color. a full camo outfitt with a solid BO vest. the deer will not see the BO but they will see a solid lighter grey as you turn. If you are a fidgitter. and always twisting right and left if it was a solid dark grren they would see a 'flashing" of a darker grey.

There have been hundred of thousands of deer taken in red plaid wool . think about that. the red is there and very visible. but it isn't a solid field.

Back tags are really a pretty dated idea and a waste of paper. It's ridiculous we even have to have them.

I think camo really is a waste of money as far as the animals are concerned. Human psychology I guess that if they are wearing camo they somehow have better chances. Bill Jordan is a rich evil genius.

Back tags are really a pretty dated idea and a waste of paper. It's ridiculous we even have to have them.

I think camo really is a waste of money as far as the animals are concerned. Human psychology I guess that if they are wearing camo they somehow have better chances. Bill Jordan is a rich evil genius.

It is part human, I agree.  One of the main reasons I wear camo is so other hunters CANT see me.  I have had, many, many fun encounters with hunters doing stupid ##@$ right in front of me.  In 2 occastions I have had people arrested who tresspassed AND Shot a deer right in front of me.  I don't want to be seen.  Simple.

What type of BO were you wearing whe you were Picked off?

Oh, this was when I was a wee little lad.  I just had a plain BO vest I would wear.  I understand the need for a patter to break your silloette up.  As I just posted a second before this one, I also wear camo because I don't want other hunters to see me either.  its not just a deer thing.