Here's a fight starter

Suilleabhain

We curren'ty have statewide AR's. why aren't we listed?

That is true, a lot of people forget about it and don't even know the rule to begin.

A legally antlered deer must have at least one antler that is three inches or longer measured from the base of the burr.  

Now you can tag that as a doe / antlerless deer IF you have a proper tag. 

ARs serve more than the political end of things. The politicians aren't going to make anymore if I kill a big deer or not. The guys that are going to hunt now are the same guys that would hunt with ARs. The out of state license fee is pretty high already. I don't think people are going to flock to your or my WMU by the masses if we have AR's. The state will probably make some more $ but I don't see that as argument to oppose them. And the state is actually doing a survey to see what we want. The government is greedy and sickening 99.9999999999999999% of the time, but at least they are listening to people and want their input. Goal of ARs = more older deer. Not line politicians pockets.

Their 7,000 person survey is a POS.  I have to go back and look but I don't think that is much bigger than the last survey they did.

Take a look at the new license structure for 2014 and how LOW they just made the out of state license.

Understood. I will say I have had older deer that did not taste as good but in all those cases they were taken in forested areas. I believe that their diet and care for the deer once it is harvested makes bigger taste difference than the age. The buck in my avatar was at least 3.5 and your could cut a steak with a fork. He spent his life in rye, soy and corn fields. The last one I took in the ADKS was some of the worst venison I have had for flavor. Their diet in that area was mostly mast and browse. Very liite AG in that area.

diet, post shot care etc. all affect taste. Had a buck copmletely bleed out from a heart slice. Best tasting deer I ever had. Gutted quickly, hung and cut up before it warmed. Then I've had the "lets find him in the morning" buck. taste bad. Then there's the vaccum seal or freezer wrap. early bow kill, end of rut gun kill are big swings in taste. so many things go into how venison tastes besides age.

I got that notice as well. Should be interesting if they publish the results. I'd think they would.   I may not of read right, but I don't recall seeing that stated in the note.

I got my info from an article in the latest NY Outdoor News.

The current "antler restriction" is not in the same league as the proposed AR. Currently, you can shoot a spike with one 2" antler and put it on a doe tag. If the antler is 3", it gets put on your buck tag. Under the proposed ARs, it makes anything less than 3 points on one side illegal to shoot, period.

Apples and Oranges.

• Like 1

Their 7,000 person survey is a POS.  I have to go back and look but I don't think that is much bigger than the last survey they did.

Take a look at the new license structure for 2014 and how LOW they just made the out of state license.

You are right. I was just surprised by a survey. They lowered out of state licenses just to bring more in to make more of a profit. This state is BS.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

Let me preface this by saying that I have limited experience hunting outside my WMU...That being said, does anyone hunt or read the harvest reports for the WMUs that have very low deer populations?

If so, are the bucks that do get taken in these areas typically older deer that have less than 3 points on a side or younger spikes, crotch horns, ect.

I would rather see AR's rather than a 1 buck rule which has more to do with population issues versus trying to establish larger population of mature bucks. NY has great genetics and great habitat to support great hunting. Meat hunter or not, everyone gets excited when they see big mature whitetails. If you are truly after meat our doe population is a viable source to support this. NY is way behind other states - PA, OH and our mid-western states in trying to move in this direction.

With this said, over the last few years many hunters are making a conscious decision to move in this direction and the results are evident. I think there are more big bucks out there today than in the past. At some point it will happen but many hunters are helping to drive this direction.

If we could just avoid the opening weekend of gun’s slaughter of 1.5 year olds the results would be phenomenal.

My only argument with this, is respectfully, what happens when we do not get a doe tag? I apply every year and get one only 1/3 of the time in general (meaning I typically get one every three years, only after I get two preference points). I hunt for meat. I am very excited when I get a doe tag because I will absolutely tag a doe for my meat. If statewide AR are applied, it greatly diminishes my chance of taking home any meat if I did not draw a doe tag any given year. I pay the same for my license as every other NYS citizen. I can't afford to drive far distances to go to a WMU that has extra doe tags. I understand that I hardly represent the majority in my opinion but it is very frustrating to think that politics, social issues and guys that want larger antlers can have such an impact on how my family hunts and feeds itself. I would feel better about this issue if it was truly about what is best for the deer, but frankly it is not.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

My only argument with this, is respectfully, what happens when we do not get a doe tag? I apply every year and get one only 1/3 of the time in general (meaning I typically get one every three years, only after I get two preference points). I hunt for meat. I am very excited when I get a doe tag because I will absolutely tag a doe for my meat. If statewide AR are applied, it greatly diminishes my chance of taking home any meat if I did not draw a doe tag any given year. I pay the same for my license as every other NYS citizen. I can't afford to drive far distances to go to a WMU that has extra doe tags. I understand that I hardly represent the majority in my opinion but it is very frustrating to think that politics, social issues and guys that want larger antlers can have such an impact on how my family hunts and feeds itself. I would feel better about this issue if it was truly about what is best for the deer, but frankly it is not.

Best wishes.

Well said. If you dont draw a doe tag... guess you eat tag soup and watch meat walk right by. I think you are in the majority. More deer hunters than trophy hunters. When trophy hunters start paying for my license then they can tell me what i can and cannot shoot

Exactly I think that is the misconception w/ AR's. Yes if you don't draw a doe permit that causes an issue if you rely on deer meat to survive. Although I am not sure AR's play a role on this rather than a serious population issue whcih would need to be explored more on why that exists. That is entirely another discussion though.

Yes, I agree Ohio and PA have different methods for their management practices but my point is both are further down the path than NY is.

Many Mid-west states have counties that participate in AR's, so I think it is a fair assessment and could be similiar to NY as whoever said NY has many different regions that are different, management practices should take those into account.

I would be a proponant for AR's and I think it would make the hunting in NY much better over the course of time. The first couple years may be difficult to visbile see the impact but over time it will make the herds stronger.

It will only be a matter of time before it happens.

If they go down this road they should eliminate the tags that are given out for bow and ML deer. If you wasn to handicap the hunters they give them and equal footing for the does. ALL the does. GO to a mandatory draw for any tags to take does. Your fee and license for bow and ML just gives you extra time to take them. This puts everyone, even in the lower draw WMU's in the running for tags.

Ever notice how the stores sell the licenses. punch you in. take you money and then do the permit drawing. cash in hand before you find out.

• Like 1