Garlic

Dom

I use mostly fresh but the wife insists on buying ground,the problem I have with the ground is it gets hard in the containers is there any way of stoppin this.I know using rice helps in salt shakers but wondering if it would help keeping moisture out of powdered garlic.

I use mostly fresh but the wife insists on buying ground,the problem I have with the ground is it gets hard in the containers is there any way of stoppin this.I know using rice helps in salt shakers but wondering if it would help keeping moisture out of powdered garlic.

Get a new wife? :)

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

yes, tell her to stop buying the ground stuff.

I have the same problem (Just mixed up a batch venison/cheese salami...and struggled with the garlic powder.) My solution: Simply bang the damn plastic container repeatedly on the counter before ever opening it. Works....fairly well!

Well, I'd bang something, but it wouldn't be the plastic container.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I like using regular garlic, but there's this minced garlic in a green & clear tube in the refrig section which is excellent for a quick dab of garlic.  They also have other types, but the only other one I get is the ginger.  Can last about a month in the frig, whereas jars of cloves go bad quickly.

Ok. as long as we are on Garlic. My Uncle grows Garlic....no He rally grows A LOT of Garlic..lol. I get way more than I can use so I looked into canning come. He gave me a Wegmans bag full of hot Garlic. The stuff is great. Not fond of the Elephant Garlic. no Taste.

But here is why I posted. When I use garlic in my canning recipes I have to peel a lot of it at one time. He told me to break the cloves off and just take off the loose outer skins. Throw the cloves on a paper plate and put inthe Microwave oven on High for 20 seconds. Those tight skins right up against the cloves slide rigth off with just you fingers SOoooooo easy. It works great.

Thanks Culver, making the pasta fagioli tonight (20qt pot, 6 lbs of bacon, 8 large vidalia onions, butter, oil, and garlic to start: Can smell it cooking away already).  Will have to try it.  Our neighbor gives us fresh garlic in the spring.  More like a scallion at that point, but tasty.

Thanks Culver, making the pasta fagioli tonight (20qt pot, 6 lbs of bacon, 8 large vidalia onions, butter, oil, and garlic to start: Can smell it cooking away already).  Will have to try it.  Our neighbor gives us fresh garlic in the spring.  More like a scallion at that point, but tasty.

Thats sounds good.  What time is dinner?

• 2 weeks later...

I grow my own garlic too. Grown it for probably the last 20 years. Can't be anything easier to grow.  This fall was screwy enough though that mine's up about 2-5" already. It's gotta be seriously confused! lol

As for skinning it, I've done the microwave method too but find it easier to just smack the garlic with a bench scraper, not too hard, just a whack and the peels are off.