Another dumb rifle question

Doc

That's like 40 bucks and 80 does depending on how old he is. I got bored of shooting does after the 2nd one.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I have the exact number written down someplace...With out looking it up it's 60 something bucks..Consider the fact that I hunted two states most years and hunted many years under the NYS party permit system that allowed the party permit to be used as an either sex tag. I shot two bucks legally that way several years. I have several friends my age who have (legally of course) shot quite a few more deer than I have.

Bored shooting does ?..Not me..I like to pull the trigger and I never ate a doe I didn't like.

I honestly can't remember a season since I started hunting that I did not shoot at least one deer..

There was one year that the only deer I shot was a small doe that I got the last few minutes of legal shooting time on the final day of PA antlerless season...LOL...

I know they are much better than they were 20 years ago when I used slugs. I shoot those sabots with about the same ballistics out of my .50 muzzleloader But, even the best slugs/sabots out there just don't compare to a.270. And accuracy? Not even close.

Within the distance Doc asked about I have to disagree. Accuracy is in the gun. I have seen shotgun rigs that group better than some rifles, even those in 270 at 100 yards. As for effect on a deer. It is about energy and bullet construction. The numbers don't lie.

Wow, Pygmy....120 deer with too many different calibers....That's impressive. When is your book coming out?

No book, Early..I'm just a duffer..I'd really rather hunt birds than deer...

Let's see...I'll try to recall all of the guns I have shot deer with..

20 gauge, 16 gauge, 12 gauge...All with slugs ( or sabots)

.50 cal. muzzleloader..

Centerfire chamberings.. .222 Rem, 25-06, .260 Rem, .270 Win, 7mm08, 7x57, .280 Rem. 7mm Rem mag, 30-06, .338 Win Mag, .35 rem, .356 Win, and 9.3 x 62.

I also did a coup de grace on a buck one time with a .38 special and a road hit doe with a 3 inch mag #4 turkey load.. I know it was not legal to finish off the doe, so SUE me...I could have let her lay there and suffer for a couple of hours.

I think that covers it...

I think that's it...

I cant speak to your .270, but since I switched to my .30-06 there has never been a deer run more than a few feet. Many get anchored right where they are standing. As close as 30 or 40 yards, and my longest was 268 yards. The longest one I didn't get to check until after I shot it, hit it at the base of his neck and planted him right there. My nephew was with me on that one and I think I was more stunned than him when we used the range finder and found out exactly how far a shot it actually was. Even though I have killed many deer with my Remington 1187, the only time it comes out any more is when I'm hunting tight cover in my swamps or apple orchard. From the very first buck I killed with my rifle I knew it was a real game changer and pretty much the end of the line for my shotgun as my daily driver.

Good luck!

Within the distance Doc asked about I have to disagree. Accuracy is in the gun. I have seen shotgun rigs that group better than some rifles, even those in 270 at 100 yards. As for effect on a deer. It is about energy and bullet construction. The numbers don't lie.

Yes, within the distance Doc referenced to, there wouldn't be that much difference. But why limit yourself if you don't have to? I don't know anybody in their right mind who would hunt with a shotgun in a rifle county. And accuracy, as a general rule is much better in a rifle. I guarantee nobodys shotgun will outshoot any of my rifes. And its not only energy that kills. You can shoot a whitetail with a .460 Rigby through the lungs and hell just run off. Its hydrostatic shock that puts them down quick. Speed(which a slug doesn't have) and the RIGHT bullet is what you need. I don't have the time or energy to argue though. Doc, good luck with whatever you choose.

You're over thinking it. They both kill deer by the 10's of thousands every year, go shoot a deer and enjoy yourself.  It won't be any more or less dead than with any other gun.   I have had a few 270s over the years, they are great deer guns.  I have a 270WSM currently and will probably take it out Saturday.

• Like 1