Always a bit amazed...

t_barb

So far, I don't know a single hunter from the city that would even consider shooting outside of legal light. Maybe there's some correlation there. Yet, over and over I hear folks talking about 60% deer are taken illegally, and folks say all the stories they hear from their hunting buddies all shoot regardless of the law. I have to wonder if its a culture thing specific to the area.

yet rule of thumb is to stay in your spot for at least 20 minutes after the shot anyhow. So a legal light shot might still mean a dark track, especially if it's a longer one. One nice 8 point I took many years ago during legal hours did not go far, I got up quick because of the light. I came to him, dying in a ditch. No reason I should have had to seen that but I was worried about the light. By the time I put the execution bullet into him it was dark.

So the execution shot  fired illegally into the deer, since it was dark.

So far, I don't know a single hunter from the city that would even consider shooting outside of legal light. Maybe there's some correlation there. Yet, over and over I hear folks talking about 60% deer are taken illegally, and folks say all the stories they hear from their hunting buddies all shoot regardless of the law. I have to wonder if its a culture thing specific to the area.

But people in the big cities are so use to hearing gunfire in the dark.

When dec comes to classes they say if that happens to call them let them know what you are doing and either they will come and assist or say go ahead and if they get a call they know what is going on.  legal no but with permission yes.

• Like 2

Some people might confuse "civil twilight" (when the sun first breaks the horizon at dawn and when the sun completely drops under the horizon at dusk) with actual "sunrise" (when the sun clears the horizon) and "sunset" (when the sun first touches the horizon).

They see light (half the sun is peaking out but hasn't cleared the horizon yet) and think it's okay to shoot.

Edited by Elmo

There are few situations where I would gladly take a fine to do the ethical thing. If I had to execute a deer just after legal hours I would. I wouldn't even consider leaving any animal to suffer to go make a BS phone call to DEC. I'm sure some would agree.

Not trying to argue with you. But after sunset it Would be a good idea to notify the NYS Police of your intensions of using a firearm and when and where. If you ask any member of Deer Search that is one thing they are required to do. And there are many reasons for doing so.

I understand, i too am not trying to argue with anyone at all, i respect everyone's decisions. i just couldn't stand it, letting an animal suffer for however long it takes to make that call. it would take me two hours (round trip) to leave my woods to get to an area to make a call and get back to the deer. it seems unnecessary to let it suffer to make a phone call in which the reply would be go back and shoot it.

The only difference is, a licensed tracking dog handler is allowed by law to dispatch a deer after hours after making the notification, regardless of if it's 5 minutes or 5 hours after legal shooting hours.....I doubt they would give that same allowance to just anyone.......if you have a deer down and it needs a follow up shot minutes after shooting hours, it's gonna be up to you whether or not you want to do it.

I've never been in that situation, but I'm not sure what I would do if I had a deer floundering after legal sunset. We don't have cell service where we hunt. It'd take a good 20 or 30 minutes to make a phone call and then maybe the same amount of time to get back to the deer. That'd be a really tough choice.

Did you ever wonder how many times leo heard the story well it was suffering so I put it down.  I am sure it would be to the discretion of the leo.  I had a friend finish off a deer at a car deer accident. DEC showed up saw the bullet hole buddy explained what he did they ticketed him for taking deer after hours with the use of a light. It was thrown out but still it is discretionary

Shooting a deer after hours regardless of the situation is illegal.  Simple as that. I know it should have some leeway but where does the leeway stop?  Like I said I bet they hear those stories all the time by guys just trying to bend the laws and not for the right reasons.

Shooting a deer after hours regardless of the situation is illegal.  Simple as that. I know it should have some leeway but where does the leeway stop?  Like I said I bet they hear those stories all the time by guys just trying to bend the laws and not for the right reasons.

I understand and respect that. It'd be illegal, no matter what. I was just expressing that it'd be a tough situation to be in. I hope I never am placed in that position.

As for a knife dispatch, perhaps for a paralyzed deer but at the same time if the deer is not immobile, getting a clean throat cut in can be extremely dangerous. I'm not saying I shy away from doing this by hand, but I also don't want to end up in the hospital. Close quarters with an injured, panicked deer is not without risk. I've seen what hooves can do, even if it's a doe.

Anyhow this is all hypothetical for me and I don't wish to split hairs. It's given me a lot to think about. Best wishes to you all, may you never be in this situation!!