How long will it take for the deer to get back to "normal"

Woodjr55

I don't think it's about shots. It's all about smell and a visual sighting of a human by the deer. I was on stand Friday afternoon and had a big buck and doe 30 yards from me. My neighbor was sighting in his gun

very close to us. The deer didn't flinch one bit at the sound. 

• Like 2

I don't think it's about shots. It's all about smell and a visual sighting of a human by the deer. I was on stand Friday afternoon and had a big buck and doe 30 yards from me. My neighbor was sighting in his gun

very close to us. The deer didn't flinch one bit at the sound. 

Yup... if people gun hunted like they were bow hunting, deer season would be better for everyone.. they think because they have a gun they don't need to be careful...

Aint this the truth

Have I mentioned how much I hate gun season! Lol ... If u don't get lucky the first couple days it's pretty much game over , not to say people don't kill em after that but the movement sucks in general unless ur on some primo private farm ... Oh well I'll still enjoy my time in the woods on the off chance a good one decides to move ... Bow 2014 I look forward to what you may bring me :)

Have I mentioned how much I hate gun season! Lol ... If u don't get lucky the first couple days it's pretty much game over , not to say people don't kill em after that but the movement sucks in general unless ur on some primo private farm ... Oh well I'll still enjoy my time in the woods on the off chance a good one decides to move ... Bow 2014 I look forward to what you may bring me :)

I couldn't agree more! Sitting in my stand Saturday and only hearing about 10 shots but a couple repetitive only increased my anger towards it. I only hope to fill a DMP and maybe get lucky.

Well been doing a lot of walking the last 2 days on state land. 2,500 acres and I'm the only one out here saw 2 doe but the either winded me or saw me walking and walk right back into the pines. I do believe I have found some good bow hunting spots for next year though

We all know that after the opener, hunters disappear .... the deer disappear .... and the woods can become a very lonely place. Now is the time to find out how sneaky you are. Can you find them? Can you get close enough to a bedded deer to get the shot? It is a real challenge now. You have to go into places where other hunters won't. But don't be hating gun season.

And by the way, there is no better time to be scouting for next year's bow season. It's amazing how nicely those scrapes and rubs that you were walking by before, now stand out.

Now about the original question of when deer will return to normal.... I will guarantee that the very week that all deer seasons end, there will be deer in my front yard pawing through the snow and chonking down on the grass in broad daylight. It's practically guaranteed. I am convinced that somebody has leaked a copy of the game laws to them so the know exactly when we will not be able to shoot them. But as long as there is even one gun-toting deer hunter wandering around out there, they will stick to their survival mode tactics and everyone will be talking about how all the deer have been killed.

Yup... if people gun hunted like they were bow hunting, deer season would be better for everyone.. they think because they have a gun they don't need to be careful...

100% correct... When they get a gun in hand it's time to walk around and tramps all over everywhere. If people went to their stand and out the same way after their hunt like now season things would be different. Besides you get all the yahoo gun guys who don't now hunt, have a bacon and egg breakfast with fried meat and hit he woods smelling like a deli, yeah that's good for deer movement.

We all know that after the opener, hunters disappear .... the deer disappear .... and the woods can become a very lonely place. Now is the time to find out how sneaky you are. Can you find them? Can you get close enough to a bedded deer to get the shot? It is a real challenge now. You have to go into places where other hunters won't. But don't be hating gun season.

And by the way, there is no better time to be scouting for next year's bow season. It's amazing how nicely those scrapes and rubs that you were walking by before, now stand out.

Now about the original question of when deer will return to normal.... I will guarantee that the very week that all deer seasons end, there will be deer in my front yard pawing through the snow and chonking down on the grass in broad daylight. It's practically guaranteed. I am convinced that somebody has leaked a copy of the game laws to them so the know exactly when we will not be able to shoot them. But as long as there is even one gun-toting deer hunter wandering around out there, they will stick to their survival mode tactics and everyone will be talking about how all the deer have been killed.

Couldn't agree with u more doc... After the first week I'm basically scoutin around sit for a bit n scout some more etc... That's how I found the spot I killed my bow buck this year at the very tail end of gun last year... I just meant the deer movement isn't natural like bow season ...

I went in day after opener just at first light to do my step by step sneak in. Takes me 45 minutes to get to a normal 7 min walk. I snuck up on a bedded basket 8, I could have shot him but not quite what I'm after. I like the occasional go get em plan but I still take every step to be scent free and play the wind when I walk in with out making a sound. The ones who run around gun in hand just tryin to get deer up and hope they have a shot are just a post cause...