Fixing up a cva kodiak magnum

TeeBugg

Got a cva kodiak magnum in need of some tlc. Gotta buy a breech plug, clean it real good, find some sights or a scope, find a recoil pad, and bolts to mount stock to gun. For the bolts im gonna take it to work with me and get some stainless bolts. As far as cleaning, somekne said to use dawn dishsoap? The barrel does have some rust spots on the outside, but not major. Just some light rust and pitting. I may clean it up and paint it or who knows. Whats the best way to clean the inside of the barrel? Does dawn actually work?

I use Birchwood / Casey No.77 Black Powder Solvent with my T/C Omega.  That is what the dealer recommended when I purchased the gun and  Bore Butter after it is clean. It takes a bit to get black powder crud out of it. plus I was told to put a primer in and fire empty before loading powder and belted bullet.

Mine is a stainless steel barrel and the solvent is water-based formula, plus my breech plug I was told to place a small amount of grease on the threads before putting it in the breech and remove after hunting. The gun dealer told me one customer didn't remove the plug and it seized up in the breech I don't know how he ended up getting it out. The old saying an ounce of prevention is worth the pound of cure.  Good Luck !!! :bye:

• Like 1

Depends on the type of powder that was used. Dawn works great with real black powder.

A cleaner like simple green is good with most others.

If really bad, use some brake cleaner to get it stripped back to bare metal.

Then use a regular protectant like Rem oil or Sheath.

Stay away from Bore Butter - it is a wax based inhibitor and not a preventive.

Never ever use water to clean a rifle. You don't use it to clean centerfire rifles why would you use it to clean a blackpowder rifle.

You will never get the water droplets out of the pores in the steel and it will rust. 

I've been using a solution called Moose Milk. It's very economical and has three components. It is equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap, Hydrogen-peroxide, and rubbing alcohol 92% by volume.

Plug up the nipple with a toothpick and fill the barrel with the solution and stand it in a bucket. It will fizzle and foam for about 30 minutes. Then empty it out and run a brass brush through the bore vigorously. Run several patches through the barrel. If it's still not clean as a whistle repeat the process.

As mentioned it would depend on what was shot in it.  Boiling water and dawn detergent works very well.  You just need ro be sure you completely dry it after and use a good oil.  For many years, blackpowder guns were cleaned with hot water as it was all they had.  It does the job.  I still clean my sidelock and flintlocks with water and dish deteregent. As mentioned stay away form the borebutter products.  Good luck with your project

• Like 2

Grabbed some bolts for the stock after calling cva for specs. Going to try some pb blaster or brakleen first see how that goes. I work in a parts store so i have a ton of different items at my disposal. It had triple 7 used in it before and thats what i plan to use once its finished.