Names of cuts?

TheHeavyHand

Hi, new member here.

I harvested my first deer on opening day (bow)this year since I started hunting four years ago. When I got my venison back from the butcher he individually labeled each package.

I got the following (each pack is approx 1- 2lb):

Chopped meat (20 packs)

Stew meat (3 packs)

Roast (1 pack)

Cutlets (5-6 packs)

Chops (7-8 packs)

Tender Loins (1 pack)

Soup bones (2 packs)

My questions are--

What parts of the deer are these?

Are there any cuts that I didn't get? i.e. Back strap? Loin vs tender loins?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds about right. The backstrap is part of the chops. The (inner) loins are on the inside of the body cavity and aren't very big. The front legs and neck probably went to the chopped meat due to the amount of silverskin that they need to trim off.

post-506-0-80612000-1385876938.jpg

some I've found call all steaks chops.  not sure why as some will cut rounds (from the picture it says steaks) into steaks and call them chops.  many times i'll get 4 roasts out of them.  not sure where your 1 roast came from but some potential roasts probably turned into "chopped meat".  in the picture the front legs are called roast and some turn neck into roast to separate the fibrous tissue and silverskin.  I trim as much of that off as I can and put what's left into the grinder and fill burger sleeves.  you didn't say you got any ground though.  stew meat on my stuff are trimmings left from better cuts.  Everybody does everything a little different.  I agree with Predate's answers to your questions though.

talk this terminology over with your processor BEFORE your deer is done.  Then you will know exactly what you will be getting.  Different processors (hunters,too) use different terms.  You need to know what your processor means when he says "Chops"..."Steaks"...etc.

I suspect that "chopped meat" is a city thing..Here it's called ground venison or burger. It is often ground with some beef or pork to add some fat, which helps to form a burger, meatloaf, meatball or whatever.

Cutlets can be anything from backstrap, round steaks, or even shoulder meat sliced into what many of us would call steaks..

Chops are nearly always sliced backstrap, with or without bone. Years ago many of the processors cut them "bone in" like pork chops or lamp chops ..Nowadays they are most often boneless, and often "butterflied"

Roasts...Could be anything..Neck roast, shoulder roast, rump roast, arm roast, sirloin tip roast...Chances are any roasts that you reciever would benefit from long, slow, moist cooking, either crockpot or braising.

Enjoy your venison...

Is the chopped meat ground or like a cube steak?

I don't think I have ever seen a deer processed with no ground

I've never made burger.  When I'm done butchering I have steaks and stew meat.  Now, one could argue that some of the 'steaks' are weird shapes but they work great for swiss steak and that type of use.   It does take me a while to do a deer but that's just our preference. 

Edited by SteveC

I've never made burger.  When I'm done butchering I have steaks and stew meat.  Now, one could argue that some of the 'steaks' are weird shapes but they work great for swiss steak and that type of use.   It does take me a while to do a deer but that's just our preference. 

I probably didn't phrase that correctly. I meant from a "commercial" butcher. I think all in all they don't take the time and care that you would with your own. I know of a few guys that used to cut deer. If you said you didn't want ground and only stew you got only stew. but what would have been your ground got tossed in the community grinding. hearing their stories is what made me start to do my own.

ah  - well that I'd certainly agree with.  I agree that a "pro" isn't going to want to take the time to do it that way.   Nobody touches my deer except me.  I'm way to fussy so I just do it myself.  It's actually kind of therapeutic.  (I know, I'm weird... I just never admit that to the wife. :D  )

• Like 3

Pygmy knows his cuts of meat. My fatherinlaw a butcher that would cut up our deer, even though he had the equipment to do it never did , only if we asked would make Chop Meat or Sasuage , mostly Roasts,Chops, Steaks, Ribs and Stew Meat.And he was born and raised up state N.Y. not down State.

Pygmy knows his cuts of meat. My fatherinlaw a butcher that would cut up our deer, even though he had the equipment to do it never did , only if we asked would make Chop Meat or Sasuage , mostly Roasts,Chops, Steaks, Ribs and Stew Meat.And he was born and raised up state N.Y. not down State.

I was born and raised in NW PA, does that mean I can't play? ;-)

I could never have my deer done by someone else and be happy.  i grew up on a New England Polled Hereford (beef cattle) farm and learned from my dad.  he had a store that processed meat with commercial equipment but he wasn't solely a butcher.  over the years of him telling me you're plenty capable I've forgot most of the terms he used.  i think most were terms for beef cuts which only half or so mean anything on a deer.  your hard pressed the get the same from the ribs, brisket, plate, flank, or shank of a deer that you would off a cow.  anything you do get goes to the grinder or "chop meat" as I've now learned.  come to think of it we always had venison chuck steaks as a kid.  those front shoulders are tougher and i'll put them in the grinder or make cubed stew meat out of them.  when i said i usually get 4 roasts off a deer i'll have the eye and top rounds.  the rest go into steaks or "stew meat" i usually marinate into venison spiedies (wife's from Binghamton area).  we didn't weigh deer all the time but usually got about 65 lbs of meat off your average 140-150lb field dressed 2.5 yr old buck.  i trim mine a bit more and probably get closer to just under 60 lbs. ....for the same deer.

Edited by dbHunterNY