Double drop-tine Texas buck

Uncle Nicky

Just got back from the Texas panhandle, killed this deer on Sunday. No, NOT high fence, and YES, they had a few corn feeders, but  wheat sprouts were the primary food source that I saw, most of the hunts were over wheat fields and in mesquite thickets. 1-lunged this guy from 145 yards, found him about 200 yards from the scene of the crime. One of the guys in camp had a track dog, which made life a little less difficult. Hooray for me!!

post-264-0-10825400-1386100655_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-90772000-1386100668_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats. did you guys put him on a scale. looks smaller than I would expect to see up here.

Definitely smaller down there, and much thinner coats.

My Dad shot this nice 8 point (just under 130") in Texas in the 90's (100% fair chase). The hair is like a NY whitetail's after getting a crew/buzz cut!

post-871-0-03367400-1386104071_thumb.jpg

Really cool unique buck. Did you hunt with an outfitter? If so, do you mind saying who? I'd love to go to Texas and get a short-haired buck, but I've had a hard time finding a place that is 100% fair-chase, no fences.

Didn't put him on a scale, but I'd guess he's about 150#. Deer in the south don't grow as large as our deer, probably because the winters aren't as hard.

I went with a guy who ran an ad on the Texas hunting forum. Not a "real outfitter", but a guy from OK who knows the area real well and leases about 10,000 acres, and sells some hunts to make up expenses. Pretty much a DIY deal, he showed me where some stands were, and I was on my own most of the time, but he kept in touch a few times a day by cell phone. No food or lodging, but we met up a few times for lunch & dinner.

Biz-R-O-World- I'll send you a PM with more details.

Didn't put him on a scale, but I'd guess he's about 150#. Deer in the south don't grow as large as our deer, probably because the winters aren't as hard.

I went with a guy who ran an ad on the Texas hunting forum. Not a "real outfitter", but a guy from OK who knows the area real well and leases about 10,000 acres, and sells some hunts to make up expenses. Pretty much a DIY deal, he showed me where some stands were, and I was on my own most of the time, but he kept in touch a few times a day by cell phone. No food or lodging, but we met up a few times for lunch & dinner.

Biz-R-O-World- I'll send you a PM with more details.

Sounds like a great deal. Thanks in advance, for sending me info.

• 2 weeks later...