Garage floor tiles, anyone ever do them?

burmjohn

Epoxy is great (if you get the good stuff), however In my case with a full garage full of crap and its an old floor which would require a ton of prep work its not practical.

Our floor was old and rough, a rough floor is better than a smooth floor for coating with epoxy, I did have a yard full of stuff under a blue tarp for a few days while I did the prep work, it was really easy to do. I used the epoxy coat brand, my fiance and I did the acid clean and waited 24 hours and my buddy stopped over and we had it done in under 2 hours for a 2 car garage.

With as many thing that randomly fall in my garage, wrenches, beer, etc. I don't think tile would be my first choice. I think epoxy looks nice when prepped and done right. It's on my summer list - which at this point is growing by the minute it seems.

I had some rather large cracks in my floor to when I started, I got all the loose rocks and debris out of the cracks and filled them cement, after it dried I used a angle grinder and concrete wheel from harbour freight to feather the high spots out which took no time at all with the concrete grinding wheel, a little dusty but I used water and a respirator this is going to be my 3rd winter and the cracks are still holding up .I'll post pics when I get home.

John 

I was thinking of doing the same thing about 10 years ago but it was cost prohibited. Instead I ripped up the old cement, hired a mason (well not really - he was an old Italian friend of my FIL - I just paid for the cost of the cement - couple of hundred) and he laid down a nice smooth think layer of cement.  Then I bought two rubber mats online from Home Depot for my two car garage for about $150 each.  After the cement cured, I rolled out these two mats and the cement floor 10 years later is still as smooth as silk as if it was just poured. Here is the link. The mats get dirty or soiled but once a year it is very easy to pull them out onto my driveway, and using the power washer, they are as clean as they were when I got them. I'd rather get the mats dirty than the cement. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/G-Floor-7-5-ft-x-17-ft-Standard-Grade-Sandstone-Garage-Floor-Cover-and-Protector-GF55RB717SN/203450702#.UqYqq5EjHTQ

Edited by Deerthug

John

I was thinking of doing the same thing about 10 years ago but it was cost prohibited. Instead I ripped up the old cement, hired a mason (well not really - he was an old Italian friend of my FIL - I just paid for the cost of the cement - couple of hundred) and he laid down a nice smooth think layer of cement. Then I bought two rubber mats online from Home Depot for my two car garage for about $150 each. After the cement cured, I rolled out these two mats and the cement floor 10 years later is still as smooth as silk as if it was just poured. Here is the link. The mats get dirty or soiled but once a year it is very easy to pull them out onto my driveway, and using the power washer, they are as clean as they were when I got them. I'd rather get the mats dirty than the cement.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/G-Floor-7-5-ft-x-17-ft-Standard-Grade-Sandstone-Garage-Floor-Cover-and-Protector-GF55RB717SN/203450702#.UqYqq5EjHTQ

Ill have to check these out, I have a wacky garage though so I would need maybe three to get full coverage ;( ill have to measure again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4