Gun cleaning

How do you guys clean your rifles and shotguns? I am not very good at cleaning my rifle and shotgun so I want to know how you guys do it. As of right now I clean my guns with my dad the old military way. We use some braided twine and put some cotton strips (cut pieces of new underwear) between the braids. We then put some hoppes #9 and make about 5-10 passes up and down the barrel. We then put a new cotton strip and hoppes then repeat the process. Then we put a new piece on and put gun lubricant and do the same number of passes. If you were to look down the barrel you would think its squeaky clean, but I always got a little residue on the cotton strip with the lubricant. Right now i am reading that i should be letting the solvent sit for a little then go back with dry patches until they come out clean. I am shooting 100% copper bullets if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help. 

PS: My father was not in any US Military but in the military of another country. 

Your method has been used successfully by many for years.  You might, however, find a newer solvent that works better on copper than Hoppe's.

For the past few years I have been using any of a number of brands of foaming bore cleaner.  I just fill the bore with foam and leave it for the time recommended by the manufacturer...turning the gun over about half way through.  Then, after swabbing the foam out, I clean as you do, using a pull chain or rod and a solvent made for the type of ammo I'm using.  I like to finish up with a light coating of KLENSOIL (sp?) in the bore.

Periodically a swabbing of Hoppes Benchrest Copper Solvent is worth doing. Let it sit overnight and then clean it out with dry patches until it comes out clean. You'll be amazed at the green crap that comes out of a gun that you thought was already perfectly cleaned. That copper build-up can be some pretty stubborn stuff.

Periodically a swabbing of Hoppes Benchrest Copper Solvent is worth doing. Let it sit overnight and then clean it out with dry patches until it comes out clean. You'll be amazed at the green crap that comes out of a gun that you thought was already perfectly cleaned. That copper build-up can be some pretty stubborn stuff.

That's the closest post so far. 

"Shooting 100% copper bullets"?  You will need a copper solvent, nylon brush, good quality one piece cleaning rod, REAL gun cleaning patches (they aren't that expensive) powder solvent (you have that) some gun oil and a healthy dose of elbow grease.

A rod guide is also nice to have.

I have always used Hoppes #9 and/or Hoppes copper solvent. I let the solvent sit in the bore for a good 10min. then run patches through until the come out clean, them finnish up with a thin coat of gun oil down the bore. Wipe down the metal with an oily (not too much oil) rag.

I've tried all sorts of products, but I find this to be the best and quickest way to get a rifle barrel clean and shiny.  Doesn't have the chemical smell like the other stuff, neither.  One tube has lasted forever, it seems, too.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Blue-Wonder-Gun-Cleaner/707679.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dblue%2Bwonder%2Bgun%2Bcleaner%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=blue+wonder+gun+cleaner&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Thanks for all of the advise guys. I actually have brushes and rods but my father wants to use the twine because it is softer. Would one of you guys mind explaining how to use a bronze brush?

You don't want to use a bronze brush with cooper solvents, only nylon brushes.

You install your bore guide, apply some solvent to the brush and slide it all the way down and out of the barrel, then you can apply another few drops of solvent for the return trip.  Do that 10-20 times after the first two applications then dry bore with multiple clean dry patches.

All this is assuming you are cleaning a bolt gun.

You don't want to use a bronze brush with cooper solvents, only nylon brushes.

You install your bore guide, apply some solvent to the brush and slide it all the way down and out of the barrel, then you can apply another few drops of solvent for the return trip.  Do that 10-20 times after the first two applications then dry bore with multiple clean dry patches.

All this is assuming you are cleaning a bolt gun.

Thanks for explaining how to use a brush. I will be using a bolt action rifle btw. 

get an Otis gun cleaning kit with your gun calibers on the package.  works the same as you're method but better.  if you don't use a nylon or bronze brushes you're not cleaning it tight to the rifling enough (for a rifle).  when cleaning it's important to go from the breech to the muzzle (end) of the barrel and not the other way.  unscrew the brush or whatever at the end if you have too once running through.  if the end of the rifling grooves in your barrel get messed up or oddly worn your gun won't shoot accurately worth a darn.  I use a one piece coated cleaning rod for my bolt action rifles but I take the bolt out and put in what's called a bore guide.  that and then other stuff, but all you need is a good solvent and the Otis kit though.