grouse in Finger Lakes Forest?

NYHuntFish

I'd like to try hunting grouse in the FF Forest. Any thoughts on this? 

I have flushed out one grouse in two days of walking. The cover was so thick though I couldn't get a shot.

I'm told the Aspen tree is a natural habitat for grouse. Does anyone know where in the forest I can find Aspen trees?

Thanks in advance.

Ruffed Grouse are not obligated to aspen stands, that is not what I said earlier. You seem to be looking for pockets of habitat like one would hunt a food plot, like what the magazines have been calling "grouse coverts" for decades. The magazines have talked about these precise locations hunters return to because there "is always a pair of birds there"... Those so-called "coverts" might actually exist, because grouse have small home ranges and establish territories - I would like to hear what Andy has to say about that.

If grouse are faithful to coverts, they may not be a solid example for what I am going to explain, but in general a large block of contiguous habitat is going to increase reproduction, survival, and carrying capacity. Its not necessarily a block of land that sucks birds in like a food plot. Habitat enhancement benefits hunters with more game or sustained populations within the norm of natural cycles. Habitat enhancements do not necessarily benefit hunters by concentrating game, if they did they would be considered an "environmental trap" rather than a habitat attribute...  

So, what has happened to the grouse population? When I was a kid, they used to be very common everywhere. Now they have all but disappeared. Has the habitat really changed all that much? Is there some kind of predator problem? ..... disease? I see the DEC conducts special studies, as though they recognize some kind of problem exists in NYS, but I have never heard any real explanations or theories from them.

So, what has happened to the grouse population? When I was a kid, they used to be very common everywhere. Now they have all but disappeared. Has the habitat really changed all that much? Is there some kind of predator problem? ..... disease? I see the DEC conducts special studies, as though they recognize some kind of problem exists in NYS, but I have never heard any real explanations or theories from them.

Ask Andy he would know.  I can tell you as a hunter, that this year I have heard more grouse drumming then I think ever in my almost half a century.  During hunting season, although we did not hunt them hard, and actually were targeting woodcock and released pheasant, we flushed 14 and killed 10 - pretty good ruffed grouse year for me.

During hunting season, although we did not hunt them hard, and actually were targeting woodcock and released pheasant, we flushed 14 and killed 10 - pretty good ruffed grouse year for me.

What region of NYS, 8,9 or?

I've only killed one grouse in my lifetime and doubt I'll ever hunt them again, on purpose!

Is "Bear Swamp" an area in the Finger Lakes Forest or do you mean another forest?

This might be what you're talking about?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/34420.html

If so, is there a particular place you go there? Thanks.

Try Bear Swamp, theres a ton of Grouse in there!

Edited by NYHuntFish

What region of NYS, 8,9 or?

I've only killed one grouse in my lifetime and doubt I'll ever hunt them again, on purpose!

Years ago we would hunt rabbits & grouse at the same time & get many of both. One of the guys would get his limit of grouse many times(dead eye).  We would always hear & see quite a few ,I would get 4 - 5 a season & he would get 3 - 4 a day. All we hunted was within a hr. of buffalo. Now its hard to find one in those same areas.

Ask Andy he would know.  I can tell you as a hunter, that this year I have heard more grouse drumming then I think ever in my almost half a century.  During hunting season, although we did not hunt them hard, and actually were targeting woodcock and released pheasant, we flushed 14 and killed 10 - pretty good ruffed grouse year for me.

Actually, it is the lack of drumming and the lack of flushing those once plentiful critters that prompted my comment. When I was a kid, they seemed to be pretty much everywhere. But today, like Lawdwaz, there is no way I could justify shooting if I did happen to encounter one. I would feel bad if I did kill one. Perhaps there is something unique about our area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I see many up in the Finger Lakes National Forest upon the Himrod area. The spring is a great time to view them drumming up a storm and they do not seemed frightened off then as in the fall. Like all types of game they are always readily seen outside of the hunting season.

I hope I find grouse this year. I need to find a good place and time. I think I need to concentrate around the white (ash?) trees. I've watched many videos on Youtube and I think I want to hunt grouse. Make sure I don't shoot a tweety bird...

Grouse prefer young aspen, 1st succession forest. Most areas have out grown the grouse... clear cutting of aspen stands allows suckering by roots and stumps. The buds of this young trees under 20ft tall are winter food source and catkins are spring.. nuts grapes and seeds are fall foods and that's when you see grouse in more mature woods. I have manages a.30Acre piece for grouse and have had very good results.... like any other animal habitat is the first key .....

Tom H,  Not sure where you are at on the FLNF but you are not in Himrod, Himrod is on the West Side of Seneca Lake. Maybe you are thinking Hector, which 98 percent of the FLNF is in.

You got me. Yes, the Hector Multi Use area. We also had a Red Tail Hawk dive bomb use in the spring there. It did not like my buddies red felt crusher hat!

Grouse prefer young aspen, 1st succession forest. Most areas have out grown the grouse... clear cutting of aspen stands allows suckering by roots and stumps. The buds of this young trees under 20ft tall are winter food source and catkins are spring.. nuts grapes and seeds are fall foods and that's when you see grouse in more mature woods. I have manages a.30Acre piece for grouse and have had very good results.... like any other animal habitat is the first key .....

Thanks for the information. Well if anyone wants to go grouse hunting in the FL forest (or other, Southern Tier) in the fall, let me know. I have deer hunting friends but no one to go bird hunting with. I actually prefer going by myself but it wouldn't hurt to learn from someone on these matters.

Edited by NYHuntFish