The disgruntled hunter -Deer and Deer Hunter article

ididnotvoteforobama

One of the Talks on 2/22/14 at the RIT Inn and Conf Ctr will discuss at length "Mature Buck Movement" and you will hear about the gps studies mentioned WNYBuckhunter.  The Other Talk is on selection stand sites from aerial photos.

Matt Ross and Neil Dougherty are the speakers

The event is free and open to the public 9Am til 12 Noon, Sponsored by the Gr. Rochester S. Tier QDMA Branch. 

Get there early we expect to reach capacity.  At 12 Noon it shifts to the NE Reg QDMA Summit, open only to Branch Officers and Volunteers.

• Like 1

Funny to me because the graph they show indicates more movement after the full moon.  I believe this study was done down south as this is typical of southern deer to follow the third full moon as Mr.Alsheimer has stated before.  Funny how they show a graph that proves his theory yet they still dispute the facts they provided.  I am not here to argue which is right or wrong...  Personally I believe in it but I have seen the difference in LI vs ADK or southern zone ruts and know each has slight differences usually due to climate IMO.  Regardless of what the moon is doing I want to be in the woods early November to as long as I can stay...  LI I would say the last week of Oct and first of November.  SZ Nov 1-18 , NZ Nov 5-27.

Again I am not here to argue if moon phase is right or not, some believe but some do not.  Something is needed to trigger the doe in heat and the only other photo triggering device besides photo period is moon light and I do believe it is a trigger for the rut, but climate is a much bigger factor in northern regions. 

EX: LI has mild winters due to water on all sides.  This effect I believe causes deer on LI to have a slightly earlier rut than deer further inland that have harsher winters.  Besides photo period I think climate is the next biggest factor with moon phase coming in third as the trigger for rut to start.

Again I am not here to argue but I will go with Mr.Alsheimer's moon theory and climate for the area to determine rut period and when I would hunt.

• 4 months later...

Hi Tio1, you are correct, that Charles Alsheimer will be at the Eden Jr./Sr. High School on Saturday, September 13, 2014.  Tickets on sale now at www.EdenDeerShow.com.  Event will offer tickets for the show only, or show plus a full meal, details on the web site. We will also be giving away lots of stuff - right now, we're up to about $2,500 in value of give-aways for Door prizes and a Chinese auction. Doors open at 5:00, come talk to our collection of outdoor pro's between 5:00 and 6:45, enter the Chinese auction to win more prizes, and show starts at 7:00.  Any questions, please check out www.EdenDeerShow.com and submit to the "Contact Us" button and I'll be happy to help however I can.

Out of curiosity, how did you hear about the show coming to Eden back in January?  It will be a great event and gaining lots of excitement as it gets closer.

Thanks!

Look into the current GPS studies. They put GPS collars on different deer, and they know where they are every X number of minutes. Shows you exactly what they are doing 24/7. Those studies are showing that the moon has little to nothing to do with movement patterns. The studies have been done in the North and the South, with the same results.

How dare you talk methodical science when it can be easily refuted by anecdotal evidence.

Edited by Sogaard

I will trust the biologist that lives and works in my state and is one of the leading authorities on deer.  You can trust the surveys from areas you probably never visit in Texas, Mississippi and some other mid west states that do not have winters like NY. 

Do you really think someone with Mr.Alsheimer's reputation is going to fake results to sell calendars LMAO. 

Moon phase is just a trigger for the rut, anything from over hunting, bad weather or high doe population can cause low deer movement.  Bet they do not include that information in these articles that dispute photoperiod.  

Deer on LI as I have stated before go into the rut at earlier periods than deer 30 miles inland, does that make moon phase INVALID?  No.  Does high population of doe in the area's where the radio collared surveys took place have a effect, you better believe it!  Does food access have an effect, no deer do not eat food?    It is a easy way to make a name for yourself by disputing Mr. Alsheimer and his knowledge, keep that in mind.

When I start to hunt in the area's where the GPS tracking has taken place I will be more interested in the findings.  Where I hunter winter dictates when deer breed and when fawns should be born. 

After reading many of these articles on GPS I find the results interesting but further inspection usually shows that most of the information is gathered on what I consider mild weather area's with high deer population and a large amount of food. 

Fawn birth period seems to coincide with Mr.Alsheimer and the information provided but we can skip over that tidbit.  (Fawns are everywhere!)

JMHO  It is just a prediction!  Nature is unpredictable.  Ever see a fawn with spots in November?  Ever see a buck without antlers breed a doe in February and try again in March? 

Some of you get hung up on some of this type of information.  If you do not believe disregard and move on simple.  Or we can argue about something that is inherently flawed due to climate, bad weather, deer population and food availability.