Battery Life

Doc

I realize that we haven't had this kind of cold in quite a few years, but I am curious as to whether I am doing a smart thing sticking my cameras back out in this sub-zero weather. I understand that next week we are going to have another bout of crazy-cold weather that will be even colder than this one that we have just gotten by. I don't want to get into a position of throwing batteries away by putting them out in battery-killing temperatures. On the other hand, I just bought a new Cuddeback Attack, white-flash (replaces the one I had stolen), and I would like to test it out as soon as possible. So chances are good that I will have that one out there very soon.

So, what is your experiences with battery life in these super cold temperatures?

We did talk about batteries before. The cold will kill batteries. It went down to like 10-15 degrees last year so i would think they would mot last long at all when its 0 out. I think it will warm up for a couple days so there is your chance to test it.

My Energizer re-chargeables have been holding up surprisingly well.... although I did take advantage of this cold snap yesterday to bring all my cams in to thaw out and re-charge.

Edited by wooly

I expect that all my cams are now down...I let the batteries get below 50% and did'nt Chang them out because I knew the sub zero temps were coming.....though they were still working at -2 last week

Growie --- I am in the same boat as you . I have 2 cameras left out and they are in Geneseo . I don't plan to go there anytime soon . I bet the batteries are dead . 

As for Doc's question , I don't have an answer . I have not had them out this late or in this weather . 

Those that run the D size battery opposed to the AA, was their a difference in battery life? I found the D size lasted quite well in my Moultrie cams during cold weather. Haven't used a AA cams as of yet.

The manufactures are all switching over to AA size, I'm assuming because of shrinking cam sizes. Maybe not the best move for battery life.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Those that run the D size battery opposed to the AA, was their a difference in battery life? I found the D size lasted quite well in my Moultrie cams during cold weather. Haven't used a AA cams as of yet.

My AA Moultrie (M-80black) outlast my D units by a longshot. There's no comparison.

Usually have my AA cams set on 30 second video with 5 second delay as well for continous footage.

1000's of video over months with this set up, while my D-cell  units(D-55 & D-65) may only get a couple hundred pics in 3 shot burst over weeks before they peter out.

theres little benefit of a d cell vs the trend to AA. improved power management in circuitry has reduced power consumption big time.

My Coverts in nonwinter weather...just basic summer and fall weather...I get more than 10k pics on a set of batteries that cost about 2 bucks. in most cases I get 20k photos on a set if I dont change them out. in cold weather, I can put in 4 lithiums and let it run all winter. 5 bux or so.

good d batteries are not as cheap and wont perform as well long term. they also don't make d cell lithiums unless you convert aa with the spacers.

moultrie bushnell and other get good performance just the same with aa.

Edited by phade