Governor Announces Support for Crossbows in NY

Tinlodge

Your boys Scalia and Thomas ruled the militia thing was not relevant and you guys cheered when it meant individual protection...now you want to fight our government with wannabe AR's...if you closely read the amendment you will see the phrase Assault Rifle or Banana Clip doesn't appear I'll repeat again:There is no expressed constitutional right to 16 bullets in your wanna-be assault weapon.In fact there is no expressed right to own a wannabe assault weapon, tank, nuclear device, armed drones...etc. there are limits.We have a standing army and nonpiloted flying death robots...you think the founders wanted either of those things...if its unconstitutional let the courts decide.Sorry I was part of the latest thread derailment. My safe act opinions were never before aired but are now well documented.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The federal government was able to take machine guns off the streets when it became apparent that's what needed to be done.as the pro and antis continue to retreat from the middle and refuse to come up with common sense solutions we will continue to get knee jerk solutions from politicians. the second amendment won't have a chance.you can hate these politicians all you want but as the voting public continues to watch kids being butchered the more these politicians will be empowered to come with their own solutions, ie votes in the middle of the night,court upheld,AND most of those pols being reelected.stop cutting off your noses to spite your faces.

Edited by notasheep

Yes, articles such as these are little more than opinion pieces, no conspiracy about it. Its just crap journalism, and youve bought into it hook line and sinker. Next time you start questioning the validity of a report, Ill be reminding you of this one.

Oh, screw this nonsense. Haven't you realized that this thread has actually gotten way off-topic, but has moved into some pretty amazing stuff. We have some real bonafide libs here that are spouting their pinko crap, and you are still worried about some imagined journalistic omissions?.... lol.

While I have ben off looking forward to November elections with the thought that gun owners were a united entity who actually cared about gun owner rights, I am now finding out that there are a few (maybe a lot more than I realized) that enjoy being wards of the state, serving their Fatherland as proper obedient children, and others that are basically saying, "I've got mine so the hell with anybody else".

Suddenly, your droning on about your critique of a news article and your imagined offenses kind of pales in comparison. I think we have finally moved on to matters of a lot more significance. :bye:

Maybe some of that "sophisticated school book learning" would have taught you guys safe act crap doesn't belong in a crossbow thread.

Start with that genious.

Wooly-

The original topic burned out about 20 pages ago and has morphed into something that is probably a whole lot more relevant to even those people interested in crossbows. I think by now we all understand that the "Governor has announced support for crossbows in NY". We spent a few pages talking about the relevance of that. And then the thread moved into more interesting directions. We probably could have, and should have, created a bunch of new topics, but that didn't happen. So, it has turned into a free-form general discussion that is still evolving. I for one find it all kind of interesting even though it is a bit unconventional.

so the problem here is if a person has a different view than you they got to be a pinko left wing trash.

I sure found that there have been lots of ideas under this subject and yes in some cases they do not apply to just a crossbow.

I for one use to think that a crossbow would hurt our sport of archery as I shot both trad and even a evil compound.

But that was the same way people felt as when the compound came in the 70's, it was going to have just the gun hunter shooting arrows at great distance and deer running around with arrows stuck in there butt.

A survey was done by several states and they found when the season was only trad bows, the average shot was under 22 yards, and now with the new tool of the compound bow the average shots was under 27 yards. Most deer killed on the average was still about the same 10 to 20 yards for a kill shot. The biggest change was from stalking on foot to the use of a new tool called the baker tree stand or use of building your own stand with 2 x 4.

I now feel that the crossbow will keep our number strong and may help even increase the overall archery season.

these our my own feeling of the left wing pinko hunter. Who at 73 still hunts with his compound at 56 ponds and or his checkmate hunter trad recurve at 45 pounds

Bill

so the problem here is if a person has a different view than you they got to be a pinko left wing trash.

No, actually the problem is the attitudes prevalent, in NYS in particular, that the government should become the parent of the constituents. There is now an expectation that the government knows best and should be looked to as a replacement for individual initiative and responsibility. We cheered the fall of Russian communism, never recognizing that their style of government has been slowly replacing ours.

So do you guy's think that is why the Crossbow will be pushed along. Many think its like a gun so maybe the top dogs feel that way also so there will be no need for guns. We will have the Crossbow/gun and the old stick and string to do our hunting with.

it'll be pushed along and our VP will tell us that we should all have a crossbow under our beds to protect ourselves from the bad guys. Of course, we're still allowed to fire warning shots with our shotgun.

• Like 1

While I have ben off looking forward to November elections with the thought that gun owners were a united entity who actually cared about gun owner rights, I am now finding out that there are a few (maybe a lot more than I realized) that enjoy being wards of the state, serving their Fatherland as proper obedient children, and others that are basically saying, "I've got mine so the hell with anybody else".

Scary really. I'll be the first to admit that as sportsman we don't help ourselves by arguing within over issues like ARs, crossbows and setback rules. However, I believe that these arguments simply demonstrate our passion and do not necessarily endanger our sport.

But when we're more divided then I think a lot of us thought over constitutional rights... that's scary. We knew there was opposition as there always has been with gun control legislation, but to discover many gun owners themselves are ok with it? man...

Scary really. I'll be the first to admit that as sportsman we don't help ourselves by arguing within over issues like ARs, crossbows and setback rules. However, I believe that these arguments simply demonstrate our passion and do not necessarily endanger our sport.

But when we're more divided then I think a lot of us thought over constitutional rights... that's scary. We knew there was opposition as there always has been with gun control legislation, but to discover many gun owners themselves are ok with it? man...

yeah, I know a lot of gun owners, and to be quite honest I really haven't heard too many of them getting too worked up over the Safe Act, and if they do mention anything about it, it's just to complain about the inability to order ammo through the mail.....

Hmm I said that a while ago and got told I was lying.  The majority of gun owners in this state could care less about it as they think it does not effect them. That is why I speak out as much as I do and try to educate.  But I get ridiculed for that  also.  I hear things like dont you have a rally to go to or better go register your assault weapons.  

No, actually the problem is the attitudes prevalent, in NYS in particular, that the government should become the parent of the constituents. There is now an expectation that the government knows best and should be looked to as a replacement for individual initiative and responsibility. We cheered the fall of Russian communism, never recognizing that their style of government has been slowly replacing ours.

No actually the problem is wackos,with attitudes similar to yours,make us all look like lunatics hence empowering the legislators and governors to slam thru anti gun laws with little or no backlash because extremists on either side need to be saved from themselves according to them and the polls.so keep calling your fellow gun owners libs,pinkos,commies,....you just prove their point.

Edited by notasheep

Hmm I said that a while ago and got told I was lying. The majority of gun owners in this state could care less about it as they think it does not effect them. That is why I speak out as much as I do and try to educate. But I get ridiculed for that also. I hear things like dont you have a rally to go to or better go register your assault weapons.

I didn't call you a liar I just asked for proof of your 20% statement. All of this is still just anecdotal evidence

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arguing,debating,call it what you will is a healthy way to help each other understand ones position and the reasons why we're passionate about the way we feel about a certain subject.and most of the time,I'll be the first to admit it's self serving.the division is becoming more prevalent because some of us have felt that there was nothing wrong with requiring for example trigger locks,gun safes,with children in the homes especially mentally disturbed ones ie newtown,conn,common sense shit but these suggestions were met with extreme resistance.ya know how many kids are killed accidentally by irresponsible gun owners...thousands.so when the lawmakers feel that the time is right to nibble at the edges they will and have succeeded .i watched an interview of Antonin Scalia after the conn.disaster and he was asked if the second amendment meant that assault weapons and/or high capacity guns were protected and could never be outlawed he responded that he really did'nt know and that that question could only answered when the court was presented with it and the argument was made for or against.he did say however that believed the founders never envisioned the arms that are available today.pretty scary coming from him.the courts have limited the type of weapons we are allowed to have and use.the smarter play,in my opinion,would be to work together to come up with common sense solutions to the obvious problems we have today instead of calling each other pinko commies whatever the f*** that means.those simpleton fall back positions will allow these lawmakers with a majority of the people to keep chipping away at the right to keep and bear arms.

I didn't call you a liar I just asked for proof of your 20% statement. All of this is still just anecdotal evidence Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

but you did ask me didn't I have a rally to go to and I better go register all my guns.  It is ok I like to take care of the uneducated and bring them to the light. 

No actually the problem is wackos,with attitudes similar to yours,make us all look like lunatics hence empowering the legislators and governors to slam thru anti gun laws with little or no backlash because extremists on either side need to be saved from themselves according to them and the polls.so keep calling your fellow gun owners libs,pinkos,commies,....you just prove their point.

Ha-ha .... You are certainly entitled to your opinion and also have a perfect right to be wrong.

Arguing,debating,call it what you will is a healthy way to help each other understand ones position and the reasons why we're passionate about the way we feel about a certain subject.and most of the time,I'll be the first to admit it's self serving.the division is becoming more prevalent because some of us have felt that there was nothing wrong with requiring for example trigger locks,gun safes,with children in the homes especially mentally disturbed ones ie newtown,conn,common sense shit but these suggestions were met with extreme resistance.ya know how many kids are killed accidentally by irresponsible gun owners...thousands.so when the lawmakers feel that the time is right to nibble at the edges they will and have succeeded .i watched an interview of Antonin Scalia after the conn.disaster and he was asked if the second amendment meant that assault weapons and/or high capacity guns were protected and could never be outlawed he responded that he really did'nt know and that that question could only answered when the court was presented with it and the argument was made for or against.he did say however that believed the founders never envisioned the arms that are available today.pretty scary coming from him.the courts have limited the type of weapons we are allowed to have and use.the smarter play,in my opinion,would be to work together to come up with common sense solutions to the obvious problems we have today instead of calling each other pinko commies whatever the f*** that means.those simpleton fall back positions will allow these lawmakers with a majority of the people to keep chipping away at the right to keep and bear arms.

i believe in background checks, gun locks and safes, I believe in restrictions for the mentily ill, but as long as they're done right. There is a lot i agree with regarding gun control. And i've openly criticized the ones wanting no regulations at all. I believe there's compromises that can be made. Unfortunately the NRA is afraid to give an inch and so is the anti-gun crowd. These stances can be applied to politics across the board.

What I do not believe in is ammunition and mag and weapon restrictions. Mostly because I feel criminals wont follow these anyhow, so you're only hurting the law abiding owners.

• Like 1

i believe in background checks, gun locks and safes, I believe in restrictions for the mentily ill, but as long as they're done right. There is a lot i agree with regarding gun control. And i've openly criticized the ones wanting no regulations at all. I believe there's compromises that can be made. Unfortunately the NRA is afraid to give an inch and so is the anti-gun crowd. These stances can be applied to politics across the board.

What I do not believe in is ammunition and mag and weapon restrictions. Mostly because I feel criminals wont follow these anyhow, so you're only hurting the law abiding owners.

In the past I was not a fan of the NRA. I always felt that they are alarmists and take our cause to the extreme. A little common sense and moderation would seem to soften our image . Over the years, after following politics, my views have changed. Unfortunately in today's politics there is no place for a moderate. Oh .. ok you you agree  with this... then we will push for the next restriction... Fight ,fight fight for every little thing, reasonable or not and hope we meet in the middle.

• Like 1

I DESPISE the unSAFE act even though it has not affected me directly (yet) either.  Why?  IT'S FRIGGIN' POINTLESS!!!!!!  It does not make anyone anywhere safer AT ALL.  The bad guys won't follow ANY of the new rules, the good guys will...mostly.  You've accomplished what exactly?  That's what MEAT and the other proponents of the unSAFE act never seem to address.

Tell me MEAT, what's the difference between my .223 "wanna be assault rifle" and your semi-auto .308 hunting rifle?  Answer: one looks scary to you, the other is actually more dangerous.  The weak but scary 223 is now illegal, the powerful but harmless LOOKING 308 is legal.  I'm safer how?  My kids are safer how?  Help me out here!  You think a bad guy is going to follow these rules and only buy small magazines? Try to buy his ammo and assault rifles in NY?  Register them?  You liberals like rules for the sake of rules.  Ridiculous.  You do nothing but make more unenforceable laws that do nothing but infringe on my ability to choose.  Choice and "free market" are going away because of you.  How wonderful.  What a happy safe, selection free world we will one day live in.

I graduated from the "OTHER" college located in Ithaca.  Fortunately I haven't let that blind me so that I can no longer think for myself.

Zhe Wiz

• Like 3

give an inch, they take a mile and still say it is not enough.  That is how we have gotten to this point.  I love the argument that the 2nd amendment does not specifically say I can have a 16 round clip.  Weak at best and also very foolish.  

give an inch, they take a mile and still say it is not enough.  That is how we have gotten to this point.  I love the argument that the 2nd amendment does not specifically say I can have a 16 round clip.  Weak at best and also very foolish.

they probably said the same thing when they outlawed automatic weapons in the late thirtys too

Anyone who is interested in any sort of gun ownership rights should be able to understand a little bit of history, and recognize a distinct pattern that shows that the anti-gun forces are interested in nothing other than total elimination of legal private gun ownership. If you don't understand that fact, I would suggest that you pull your head out of that dark unsanitary place and take note of a little history that has gone on in front of where your eyes should have been.

In '68 we started compromising on handguns (big-time), because that promised to be the end to all violent gun crime. Anti-gun forces have been nibbling away at gun ownership until now today here we are with a freshly passed law that has made a whole class of hunting rifles illegal for sale and a proposed registration system for grandfathered owners of those guns of that "made-up" category dubbed the assault rifle. Not only that, but the whole key to using any gun, the ammo, has now had a law added to add harassment and cost to every bullet you buy. And make no mistake, that is the sole purpose of the ammo background checks. It has no impact on crime at all, but is simply designed to throw roadblocks in front of people exercising their gun rights. That fact alone should be a clue to any thinking person exactly the mindset of those that we are told to compromise with. 

So anyone who insists that systematic compromise is not a path to eventual gun confiscation simply is either unaware of the real motives of the anti-gun crowd, or are in the process of actively becoming part of that movement themselves. Yes you all believe that each little compromise will be the last, and apparently don't care that you really know that it won't be.

Ha-ha .... You are certainly entitled to your opinion and also have a perfect right to be wrong.

i did'nt expect to be right when i have a differing opinion than yours,oh self proclaimed haver of all the correct OPINIONS guy,nobody ever is lol... but thanks for not using five paragraphs to say it!

i did'nt expect to be right when i have a differing opinion than yours,oh self proclaimed haver of all the correct OPINIONS guy,nobody ever is lol... but thanks for not using five paragraphs to say it!

You got the amount of attention that your comments deserved.