Advice on stand sites for small land parcel im hunting.

dead2rights

Hey guys. Just found out I have been given permission to hunt some land for this year and next. I have been given the ok to set up ground blinds and non permanent tree stands. The property has a small creek running through the very bottom of it on the south end. West side of property borders a golf course. North and East sides have fields usually set with hay. There is a wide variety of hardwoods and a few small pine plots in the middle and around the edges of the land. Where would you guys think best area to set up stands and why. Ill try to find a way to load a pic of an arial view soon

I use the same tactics rather hunting a large area or a smaller spot. I like to find tracks or deer droppings all the things that point to deer being there. The river is always good, it can also mask some noise if you happen to find a decent spot near by.

Good part you have plenty of time to see how things look threw out the off season. Couple trailcams would be great.

Goodluck.

Edges and funnels are the tickets to success.  Scout the sigh which will lead you to feed and bed. Hang stands back off on the edges and funnels. Play the wind and you will see most deer that use the property. Maybe find those spots now with no snow on the ground, hang a couple trail cams up this summer on the spots you find and then pick out your tree!

Success!!!

Sounds like an absolute gem of a hunting parcel. Lower pressure from one side automatically, with some food sources, and a creek bottom...meaning access and likely travel corridors. Sounds ideal.

If you post the aerial, do so only after marking out all identifying factors...gps cords, street names, etc. There are some real douche canoes that will blow your spot up if given the chance. I'd hate to see that happen.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Ok so for a better detail of what i have known of this land.......

Access is from the right side of the pic along the creek bottom. it is approx 1000ft from the right edge of the woods to the closest point of the fairway above the creek. the right edge of the woods bordering the field is another 1000ft.(approx) pic does not show but there is a very steep incline from creek bottom to top of the field on the right side.The small wood lot above the creek ius where i will mainly be setting up for deer season so i do not disturb the golf course as asked by the owner. it is a small tract of land but has always produced deer. I hunted here with my dad and grand dad when i was younger and they always got the deer, and we always got a bag limit of squirrel each anytime we hunted here. I am still trying to talk the land owner into letting me use tree stands but he was very hesitant on it when asked initially. So i was thinking of just making a few different ground blinds so as not to piss him off this year and maybe work up to it next year given the chance to hunt it again. I have not gone out to walk the land yet this year and have not stepped foot in the woods there since i was 16. im sure much of it is just as it was back then but some things will be different. the pines were always low hanging, there were always a few good trails in and out, and the deer and squirrel would always be in the open area just below the big patch of pines in the center. Just as a reference, the creek bottom and lower side is private land that is posted and no access granted to anyone, it also has a 50 cliff from creek to top. straight up and down and only a few trails that come down off it. If there is any other info you guys may need to get some better ideas just ask and ill gladly help you paint a pic if you can help me get some stand/blind placement ideas.

If you can put pic in paint program and circle area you are hunting makes it easier to visualize....I've actually hunted off Arial views in adks and state parks before and had some luck....another view to look at is topo maps will show highs and lows may help determine funnels

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

You need to mark that map up as said. MS Paint or something.

One thing based on your explanation is the limited paths down to the creek. I'd be looking there as a starting point for how deer move. Sounds like funnels to take advantage of.

Looks like a great parcel.  Think about the golfers as hunters and be sure to consider their movement early and late and how that may push or move the deer.  Ex. - early morning early season you may have golfers on holes 1-3 - where are those holes located and where would they push the deer if playing the course.  Likewise, you aren't likey to see deer near the edges of the last 3 holes  if those holes are being played until just before dark.  Just one more thing to consider along with the typical wind, travel routes, entry/exit and bedding.

Myself with no scouting just a glance at the pic. I'd be in the creek bottom for sure and I'd be to the left of stand four catching that inside corner , I'd also be to,the right of stand 3 to catch both those hedgerows meeting the woods .Like any place it'll take time and shoe leather to know anything for sure .

Edited by Larry302

Stand 1. If for gun stay north away from the cliff about 75 yards. For bow set your stand so you are facing into the prevailing winds and about 40 - 50 yards from the cliff edge. Natural funnel. Perhaps have 2 stands, one on the west edge of the cliff and the other near the east side near you entrance. Put in your time and bingo!!!! The other sites are good looking to but to me a cliff will always funnel them past you at some point.  I also like to hedge rows where they meet the north side of the woods.

Edited by nybuckboy