whats with the rut?

whitedolphin

Did I miss it, hunted for 12hours a day from friday through monday, saw more  fresh scrapes then ever on my way to my stand no action while on post? Is everyone going through the same?

did you hunt the same stand hard all week??

thats the same in my area last tuesday deer were running and no scrapes in sight this last weekend didnt see any running seen a couple bucks walk  through my tink 69 scent path gave a sniff and just kept walking cant wait till tomarrow is over then 4 day weekend hoping things get rockin and rolling

Talked with my fellow hunting partners and this past weekend and so far this week, the bucks in 7S seem to be chasing and dogging does. It is just starting here. Saw plenty of does this weekend with no buck activity behind them. Then Sunday night and Monday, BAMM.

Isles - Where in 4W are you? I have a camp near Lordville. Tough hunting in the mountains but it is beautiful down there.

Hey Zemmer, Where about in Lordville? I am near the State Land on Bouchxouville Rd. I was up last week. I saw 1 buck , but had no shot. It was pretty dissappointing seeing as there are more buck running around this year than ever before. Let me know what you are seeing. Thanks

The Rut happened around the first of November, a couple days before and a couple days after according to what I saw, other hunters, and trail cams.

There will be a secondary spike in the breeding...the late rut as some call it Thanksgiving weekend.

Now the deer are grouped into breeding groups, except for a few periphery bucks and the odd ball doe who will cycle after Thanksgiving in the secondary rut spike.

. Saw my first "Whitetail Breeding Nucleus" this morning. First, three does, followed by a thick-necked eight point, three small bucks were hanging on the outside...not to close, and a couple small does were on the edges too. The WBN slowly moved through the golden rod at first light after feeding in a corn field and moved back into a property owned by an anti-hunter.

From what I've seen and other hunters told me, what some call the chase phase is done, it's over.

The bucks are with the does for the most part. Now is the breeding time. And if they get spooked, with all the action in the woods, the bucks will be running with the does.

And when that happens, sometimes they grunt and it gets mistaken for the chase "phase" which happened back around Halloween. Last night a buddy of mine, saw a big buck standing in an oat field with a doe. Typical of the breeding time of the rut.

A guy was telling me that he saw 3 big bucks chasing does around in his field just 2 days ago. He said they were running them hard, but the does just weren't ready to give it up!

A co-worker told me that he went out bowhunting that same morning and saw 5 different bucks on the move with their nose to the ground grunting. He said some seemed like they were grunting with each step and they looked like a beagle on a rabbit trail!

Had a doe bedded by my neighbor's mailbox, right ont he side of a road. She was clearly ready to breed. I was able to back the truck up and be within 5 feet of her before she stood up and started walking away. Nice 8 point right next to her that I did not see initially. He simply got up and followed her into the brush.