Got Lucky (8 pointer)

Contender

Thanks guy's

Culvercreek.....No I didnt weigh him.

Tail_hnt...Yes I sat 5 yards from the mock scrape, but not on purpose. The longest shot I have from this stand is behind me(8yards)

A couple weeks ago , I found a heavily used trail thru some very thick cover. My property is small(15acres) and this section is very very thick with few mature trees. On a rainy Sunday, I found a small opening that the trail went thru and placed a stand in an 8 inch oak. I was only able to get up about 9 feet to avoid cutting many branches. I made the scrape next to the trail and didnt go back until Saturday morning. When daylight came, I could see the scrape was all torn up and the overhanging tree was destoyed. I didnt see anything in the morning so I went back to the house to get some work done. I returned at 4:00 and sat until 5:00 when the deer came up the trail. He walked into the opening and started to horn the tree. I was already at full draw and touched it off.

I dont know for sure if he came solely to visit the scrape and I dont care. I do know I will try it again as this is only the second time in 40 years that one of these plans actually appeared to work.

Good luck and be safe..

Fasteddie,  I am still a member but I usually only hunt it for geese. We do very very well in our spot.

Phelps leased most of his land to another hunt club so the acreage is down and not many members left. Doesnt really explain why the properties are so crowded in deer season. Must be alot of people are not paying.

I will probably drop out soon as the farmer where I hunt geese doesnt really care if I am a member or not.

When I left , some farmers had pulled their land out of the club . Many of the members from the Rochester area had joined Scot-Grove just to hunt pheasants and it got pricey buying them . I heard a rumor about guys turning some birds loose and had guns and dogs with them !  ::) ... ???

Then a couple members told some folks to get off a property and the guys that were told to get off were the owner's sons . A lot of problems facing a small club membership . $61 a year wasn't bad at all .