Hammer vs Hammerless .38

Esthetically the exposed hammer is my first choice but if you're ever going to stuff it in your pocket, hammerless is the one you want.  IMO........

A S&W 442 (sans the internal lock) is en-route now to join my S&W 37, pics to follow............. 

Yea I would love to see both

Wanted to get a .38 snub nose and was debating between one with a hammer or one without. This will not be for concealed carry. What are your thoughts and the pros and cons of both? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why the .38 if you aren't going to conceal?

The hammerless would be a true double action only. right? I like the option of being able to shoot my 357's in single action. big trigger pull and accuracy difference IMO

why the .38 if you aren't going to conceal?

The hammerless would be a true double action only. right? I like the option of being able to shoot my 357's in single action. big trigger pull and accuracy difference IMO

I just always love the .38 snub. It was one of the first pistols I ever shot and still one of my favorites to this day. Good point with the option of single and double action.

For concealed carry I would definitely go with a hammerless. Hammer models were notorious for getting hung up on clothing. One old school fix was to have the hammer spur cut off and smoothed. 

I use to carry a Smith 642 (hammerless) great gun and a lot more accurate than you would think.

I like the option of being able to use the handgun single action if I want, for the reasons Culver mentioned..

Smith makes ( or DID make at one time) a model that is hammerless but has a small nub of a hammer that would not hang up , but you could still cock the revolver for a single action shot.  I can't recall the model without doing some searching..

If I did not intend to CC the gun, I'd definitely go with an exposed hammer.

I like the option of being able to use the handgun single action if I want, for the reasons Culver mentioned..

Smith makes ( or DID make at one time) a model that is hammerless but has a small nub of a hammer that would not hang up , but you could still cock the revolver for a single action shot.  I can't recall the model without doing some searching..

If I did not intend to CC the gun, I'd definitely go with an exposed hammer.

just be careful who you expose your hammer to........

• Like 1

Found out today that what I THOUGHT was on its way is not.  They can't find one at their distributors............the hunt continues.

Looking more like a 642 No Lock will be the choice.  Promises, promises. 

Dealers kind of spook me lately......................