Shot placement on a deer

skeets716

He Biz, shawn or anyone else giving these 75-100 yard shots the green light:

How many years have you guys been bow hunting?

How many kills do you have under your belt?

I don't know about Doc but I haven't missed a season since 1976. 37 seasons........only about 35 killed deer here in NYS. A couple in PA but who's counting?

How about you Doc, how many years?? I'm guessing 45 years or so..................................

Just curious on the young guys experience with this.

As Doc would say regarding Hunters Safety, the newer the hunter, the safer they may be. After all, it's still fresh.

Regarding giving the green light for these shots, I've stated my stance on this for NYS, and its not in agreement with what Biz said. I can't speak for Biz though, he'll answer for himself I'm sure.

As for years bow hunting? 1. Kills? I've lost count. Maybe 45 or so? But who's counting, right?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

I dont bow hunt, only xbow and I said previously that I currently feel comfortable to 40 yards, but thats about all I can see in the heavy pine areas that I hunt.  However, also like I previously, if I had access to an open food plot or was hunting out west for with my xbow, I would definitely take the time to become proficient at distances well beyond 40 yards.  Once I was proficient at 75 yards (shouldnt take more than a day of shooting with an xbow), I would no doubt take this 75 yard shot if given the perfect conditions (no wind, broadside, un-alert animal, no chance of deflection on the way to the target, etc.)  I would not limit myself to 30-40 yards if I could have opportunities at greater distances, just like with a rifle I have no issue taking a 300-500 yard shot.

Good luck consistently killing a Coues Deer, Mule Deer, Elk, Brown Bear, etc. at distances of 18 yards with a compound.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

when discussing hunting with friends out west in Idaho, they seemed perplexed that the vast majority of my kills have been 15yds or less, as none of them have come that close to a deer or elk.  they were used to 50+ yds, and they have to stalk. 

That's correct. Majority of guys who bowhunt out west hunt spot & stalk style (no treestands) and kill at distances of 50+ yards. Most guys out there don't even own a treestand and would find it very boring sitting in a tree all day.

Just more examples from a random western outfitter. Read the stories, 60-70 yards shot be taken over and over again.

http://www.wardsoutfitters.com/hunting-stories.html

Everyone can deny it all they want, but long range bow shots are successful way more than you guys want to believe. Not every long range bow kill is taped and put on youtube. Its the way of hunting out there and if I had a chance to do it, i would train for it and do the same.

I don't intend to get into the pissing contest here, but there is one fact that nobody has addressed regarding 100 yard shots with a bow.

Say a bow launches and arrow at 300FPS... That is 100 yards in one second, RIGHT..??..

WRONG !!   The arrow is slowing down the instant it leaves the bow... It may well take it 2 or 3 seconds to reach the 100 yard mark.

Lots of time for a game animal to move.

Also,  some dude who posted earlier and said he practices with his bow at 120 made the comment that maybe the folks who are posting here have never been out west.

Well....I have hunted quite a bit out west, and it's damn tough to find a day when the wind isn't blowing out there.. Seems like that might complicate a 75 or 100 yard bow shot.. Just a thought....I think it's time for my NAP......

As Doc would say regarding Hunters Safety, the newer the hunter, the safer they may be. After all, it's still fresh.

Regarding giving the green light for these shots, I've stated my stance on this for NYS, and its not in agreement with what Biz said. I can't speak for Biz though, he'll answer for himself I'm sure.

As for years bow hunting? 1. Kills? I've lost count. Maybe 45 or so? But who's counting, right?

Who is talking about SAFETY?  Don't confuse the GD issue.

You've bow hunted one year and killed how many with the bow?  (NOT gun or cross bow)

45 or so with a gun?

• Like 1

I dont bow hunt, only xbow and I said previously that I currently feel comfortable to 40 yards, but thats about all I can see in the heavy pine areas that I hunt.  However, also like I previously, if I had access to an open food plot or was hunting out west for with my xbow, I would definitely take the time to become proficient at distances well beyond 40 yards.  Once I was proficient at 75 yards (shouldnt take more than a day of shooting with an xbow), I would no doubt take this 75 yard shot if given the perfect conditions (no wind, broadside, un-alert animal, no chance of deflection on the way to the target, etc.)  I would not limit myself to 30-40 yards if I could have opportunities at greater distances, just like with a rifle I have no issue taking a 300-500 yard shot.

Your so full of crap it isn't even funny.

How many deer have you killed with a bow and how long have you.................ahhhh, oh darn, I see.  Never mind..  You haven't killed a single animal with a bow, have you?  You're only going by what you read on the web, right? 

One more thing, Biz.  How much shooting have you done between 300-500 yards with your Weatherby or any rifle?  400-500 is a good poke.............

What bullet are you using and what grain weight?  How many FPS is it chugging along at?  Scope?  Wind drift at 500 yards?  Bi-pod, shooting sticks or the hood of the truck?  What's your dope from 300-500 yards?

You've done all this, right? 

• Like 2

Many western outfitters require that you can shoot past 50 yards with your bow.  Just a different world than what we are use to in NY. 

75-100 is what they recommend?  No way....................

Next try?

I should edit this..................I know they aren't recommending 75-100 yards, they just want a prospective bow hunter to be able to shoot 50+ but NO WAY are they encouraging guys to shoot at 75-100.  Ain't happening.

Edited by Lawdwaz

One more thing..........Doc mentioned "300FPS" in his example. 

I'd REALLY like to know how many guys on HERE have run their current setup through the chronograph and are getting 300FPS.  I'd say very few, but that is just a WAG.

I don't want to hear what you THINK it is running because of the slick magazine ads or other BS.  What is your bow doing?

I've seen more than a few disappointed guys walk away shaking their head after a chrono shoot with their hotshot new bow.

Your so full of crap it isn't even funny.

How many deer have you killed with a bow and how long have you.................ahhhh, oh darn, I see. Never mind.. You haven't killed a single animal with a bow, have you? You're only going by what you read on the web, right?

One more thing, Biz. How much shooting have you done between 300-500 yards with your Weatherby or any rifle? 400-500 is a good poke.............

What bullet are you using and what grain weight? How many FPS is it chugging along at? Scope? Wind drift at 500 yards? Bi-pod, shooting sticks or the hood of the truck? What's your dope from 300-500 yards?

You've done all this, right?

Pretty simple. I shoot the rifles at the range 1-2 times per year and when I get to my destination for a hunt to make sure scopes are on. Rifles are sighted in at 2-3" at 200 yd, so they are dead on at 300yd. When Im hunting I either shoot prone off a bookbag or off a bogpod. When I go to Wyoming I will aim dead at 300yd, a little higher depending on how much farther past that. Last time out there I shot my mule deer at 330 yd and then finished him off at 440 yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty simple. I shoot the rifles at the range 1-2 times per year and when I get to my destination for a hunt to make sure scopes are on. Rifles are sighted in at 2-3" at 200 yd, so they are dead on at 300yd. When Im hunting I either shoot prone off a bookbag or off a bogpod. When I go to Wyoming I will aim dead at 300yd, a little higher depending on how much farther past that. Last time out there I shot my mule deer at 330 yd and then finished him off at 440 yds Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I'll say it again.

How often have you shot at a TARGET at 300-500 yards?  How high do you hold at 465 yards, just a little?  Good luck with that shot.............................

When you come up to Buffalo for that Friday fish fry we'll go to the range.  I can shoot 300 yards at the club I belong to (Niagara County Sportsmans) and 500 yards at my buddies in the Finger Lakes.  We can do some banging away, you'll be humbled.  (Not by me, the range will do that) 

I'm done, have a good night.

I'd REALLY like to know how many guys on HERE have run their current setup through the chronograph and are getting 300FPS.  I'd say very few, but that is just a WAG.

I don't want to hear what you THINK it is running because of the slick magazine ads or other BS.  What is your bow doing?

I've seen more than a few disappointed guys walk away shaking their head after a chrono shoot with their hotshot new bow.

So True.   1 Mississippi,2 Mississippi,3 Mississippi....For the one that has a hard time with it.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Just more examples from a random western outfitter. Read the stories, 60-70 yards shot be taken over and over again.

http://www.wardsoutfitters.com/hunting-stories.html

Everyone can deny it all they want, but long range bow shots are successful way more than you guys want to believe. Not every long range bow kill is taped and put on youtube. Its the way of hunting out there and if I had a chance to do it, i would train for it and do the same.

LOL. The first story the guy missed an ELK twice at 60 yards, then finally hit one far back in the liver at 60 yards. If that was a smaller bodied animal, like a whitetail, that would have been 3 misses most likely, not a great link for your argument. It's bad enough that deer are known to "string jump" at distances much closer than 50 yards. 

Edit: Just re-read the first story it was 2 misses, one bad hit (non-fatal, no recovery or follow up shot), and one far back liver kill.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

I'd REALLY like to know how many guys on HERE have run their current setup through the chronograph and are getting 300FPS. I'd say very few, but that is just a WAG.

I don't want to hear what you THINK it is running because of the slick magazine ads or other BS. What is your bow doing?

The arrow flight, speed, and range discussion came up because an idiot made a claim that it takes 3 seconds for an arrow to hit its mark. At 100 yards, my 213 FPS arrow would reach my target in 1.448 seconds and 1.079 seconds at 75 yards with a BC of .25. Ask me how I know this.

It really is a moot point, unless you are a caveman shooting a 75 FPS arrow. Then you'll hit your target at 75 yards, in 3 seconds. I believe we might have ONE on this forum.

OK, I'll say it again.

How often have you shot at a TARGET at 300-500 yards? How high do you hold at 465 yards, just a little? Good luck with that shot.............................

When you come up to Buffalo for that Friday fish fry we'll go to the range. I can shoot 300 yards at the club I belong to (Niagara County Sportsmans) and 500 yards at my buddies in the Finger Lakes. We can do some banging away, you'll be humbled. (Not by me, the range will do that)

I'm done, have a good night.

Buffalo? That's on my way to Toronto! Is that invite extendable?

Buffalo? That's on my way to Toronto! Is that invite extendable?

Absolutely.  If you bring a gun, you'll have to leave it with me unless you want to mess with the border hassle...............

You want a fish fry too?

(I'm all out of ribs) :biggrin:

LOL. The first story the guy missed an ELK twice at 60 yards, then finally hit one far back in the liver at 60 yards. If that was a smaller bodied animal, like a whitetail, that would have been 3 misses most likely, not a great link for your argument. It's bad enough that deer are known to "string jump" at distances much closer than 50 yards.

Edit: Just re-read the first story it was 2 misses, one bad hit (non-fatal, no recovery or follow up shot), and one far back liver kill.

JHC, I wouldn't even waste a finger stroke to click on that horse st link. :crazy:

Absolutely. If you bring a gun, you'll have to leave it with me unless you want to mess with the border hassle...............

You want a fish fry too?

(I'm all out of ribs) :biggrin:

I hear the Walleye guys are doing well around this time of year, any chance for a Walleye fry?