Shot placement on a deer

skeets716

Let me set this up...you have scouted the spot you feel in your gut will give you the opportunity to shoot a deer when the season opens up.  A deer walks into your shooting lane and presents you a side view, no obstructions.  Let's say it is about 75 yds away and you have the weapon of your choice & you are on the ground (no danger of hitting anything behind the deer).  What do you aim for?  I have friends that go for the "boiler room" (lungs & heart) and others that go for Neck / Head shots.  Just curious to people's opinions.

clear open shot in the woods not field? and perfectly broadside? because that will play into it also.. im a ling shot guy, lug ad heart. i dont see the point of a head shot, its a low percentage shot. i always think blood trail if the animal doesn't drop in sight and the cleanest fasted way to kill that animal.

• Like 2

Line the vertical crosshair up with the front leg...Raise the junction of the crosshairs up until it is about 1/2 way up the body.

Squeeze the trigger..Go collect your deer, because he's not going far. He might run a ways( usually less than 100 yards), but he will not go far. Usually you'll have a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow.

It's the largest vital area.  Dead center gets the lungs. A little low gets the heart. A little high gets the spine. A little forward gets the base of the neck. A little back gets lungs/liver. Very dead deer in a very short time.

• Like 4

My 1st 10 deer or so I shot in the neck . At that time I did a lot of reloading and shooting and had no fears of missing the spot. Nowadays I probably shoot a gun 20-50 shots a year, I aim behind the shoulder. Nice big target. Unless I am carrying my ml and then I prefer on the shoulder.

• Like 1

with a gun, very few aim for the head, some aim for the neck, some put it square on the shoulder, and most (I hope) aim for the heart lungs area without hitting leg or shoulder bone.  I try real hard to choose the latter.  otherwise there's risk....

- with the head it's a small target to hit and it's the thing that moves the most and first at the shot.

- hitting in the neck will most of the time break it's spinal cord from the shock, but if it doesn't the deer is most certainly lost; no vital organs.  also if it does work you've waisted most meat in the neck and there's a lot there.

- square on the shoulder will turn both shoulder/leg bones into shrapnel, taking out the deer's lungs, use of front legs, and possible it's heart.  however, huge waist of meat and a pain for anyone to process the carcass, especially if you do it yourself.

with a bow you've only got one shot; behind the shoulder and 1/3 up from the bottom.

I now go for a "high shoulder" shot which has proven to drop them in their tracks....I used to do the heart boiler room shot...most of my deer....I have seen too many deer to count that have had the heart destroyed and run 50-150yds....dead as a door nail but they take off heading for the state line.

In better than 25 yrs of hunting heart shot....last 3 seasons I changed to high shoulder and haven't seen one go more than 10 yds with most not going anywhere...shot a rutted up 21" inside spread. 8 ptr high shoulder and he dropped in his tracks...not a kick...instantaneous

Obviously, in a "perfect world", the old tried & true boiler room shot. In the real-life world of deer hunting, there may be situations when you simply need to take a shot that puts it down in its' tracks. Not my favorite, but have taken shots at the base of the neck.

Anyone who wants to see the relative degree of difficulty of any of the versions of shot placement can refer to a thread that consists of very complete pictures showing locations and sizes of the various lethal parts of a deer.