Interesting Home Defense Topic

phade

Touché. Actually my cousin and I tested one out. Out concern was just as Larry had explained. (End up blinding both of you). It worked surprisingly well. Even though I new the general direction the light was coming from there was no way I was focusing on anything. I think a strobe is the answer if you are dark and need light to react. Larry. I have to check the specs. I thought the one we use is LED and around 500k

Here's what I had in mind, and of course the thinking is customized to our house layout. Our bedroom is at the end of a narrow hallway (about 30 feet long). What I was thinking was a heavy-duty spotlight mounted above the door looking down the hall. Pointed away from the bedroom doorway so it is not blinding me, but blinding anyone coming down the hallway. So the scenario is that I can see him, he cannot see me or anything else for that matter. If its a "friendly", I can clearly see them. If it is an intruder, I can see him and do what's necessary. A strobe might work, but I am concerned about the intermittent flashback and how that might effect my ability to see as well.

The switch for the light would be inside the bedroom so that I don't have to step out. Also, what the heck, hook up a loud alarm to that switch also just to warn others in the house to stay put, and also add to the confusion factor of the intruder. But not so loud that he can't hear the action on my 12 ga. Ithaca....lol. I would think all that would be an intruder's worst nightmare. I doubt that I would even have to fire a shot.

• Like 1

I was told by different self defense authorities that when using a pistol you should use a smaller flashlight you can get your hand completely around with your support hand and that has an end on/off button opposed to a rail mounted light.  you can maneuver around and momentarily turn it on to scan a space.  you aren't giving up your position nearly as much and you are keep your eyes dilated to see in the dark areas.  also you won't inadvertently point the muzzle at a family member as with a light on a pistol rail.

• Like 1

I was told by different self defense authorities that when using a pistol you should use a smaller flashlight you can get your hand completely around with your support hand and that has an end on/off button opposed to a rail mounted light. you can maneuver around and momentarily turn it on to scan a space. you aren't giving up your position nearly as much and you are keep your eyes dilated to see in the dark areas. also you won't inadvertently point the muzzle at a family member as with a light on a pistol rail.

Self defense training I saw used the same grip method. Flash light in one hand with thumb on the power button and forearm used as support for pistol hand. He would turn the corner and gave a quick flash and duck right back behind the wall. This gives him a quick scan of the room as well as temporary disorient the intruder. He then turn back around the corner in a kneeling position firing if it was indeed a hostile in the room so that he was slightly at a different location from where the initial flash was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently I keep a small high powered light on the bedside table that has an end button... I just feel better with a 2 hand grip that I practice with. Wanting to pic up a 1911 with rail light... Idk undecided. Figured the lights were easy to turn on and off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Currently I keep a small high powered light on the bedside table that has an end button... I just feel better with a 2 hand grip that I practice with. Wanting to pic up a 1911 with rail light... Idk undecided. Figured the lights were easy to turn on and offSent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Palm pressure switch.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

The lights your talking about are known as " forward clickies " you can soft press it and it comes on as long as you have pressure on it, take thumb off light goes off ,momentary light. Hard press so it clicks and it stays on.

Some are reverse click, you have to hard press so it comes on,then soft press so it goes off momentary. Avoid those for SD.

One of the hottest lights right now is Fenix PD35 . Forward clickie and like 5 settings from a soft " moon glow" to 850 lumens. You can set it to come on at any level that suits your needs. Soft press switch to ramp it up if needed.

Trust me your buddy who thinks his light is bright, will walk away with his head down muttering to himself....

Edited by Larry302

That's a great light culver and a very good web site!I buy my cr123 batteries from them.

Belo not sure what/who your comments are directed to. But your right that's the trade off.

For me,I prefer to light someone up to Id them and NOT be pointing my gun at them, plus when using the Harries grip with the light , I find it lights up the front site pretty good as well.

No experience with rail mounted light,nothing against them,just don't want to be pointing muzzle at someone I'm id'ing with flashlight.

The military and Many police depts seem to favor rail mounted though, but i'm not in a war zone ,just a subdivision with my family that comes and goes.

Edited by Larry302