Best spot on this map would you hunt deer

phantom

8 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Based on the information here, this is my suggestion. Two elevation bottlenecks converging. Now, knowing food sources, bedding, etc could really impact a lot of this. It’s really hard to scout just using a map. Boots on the ground is much better. 

97C25106-6CFB-46F2-BD04-65FA962D3652.jpeg

I was going to say the same. Other spot would be at the other pond location where the hill side comes down and makes a pinch point at the base on the western side.    But like @Splitear said food food and cover will decide but that’s just boots on the ground. 

Maps are great to find a starting location but walking it will give you what you need to know. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Splitear said:

Based on the information here, this is my suggestion. Two elevation bottlenecks converging. Now, knowing food sources, bedding, etc could really impact a lot of this. It’s really hard to scout just using a map. Boots on the ground is much better. 

97C25106-6CFB-46F2-BD04-65FA962D3652.jpeg

Its norther zone if that makes a  Difference in your choice of spots 

12 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I was going to say the same. Other spot would be at the other pond location where the hill side comes down and makes a pinch point at the base on the western side.    But like @Splitear said food food and cover will decide but that’s just boots on the ground. 

Maps are great to find a starting location but walking it will give you what you need to know. 

This ones 3 hours away i  Actually found it coming back from canada one time all i had time for was find the parking lot and walk maybe 100 yards  in summer time .

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Its norther zone if that makes a  Difference in your choice of spots 

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in but I think deer wether it’s northern zone to the central ny or other states will use the same type of terrain features. Saddles, benches, pinch points and leeward side of ridges.  Think it’s just a natural movement locations. 

I focus on water in new areas because it’s guaranteed to have some of the most diversity in the area and all animals need water to survive.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in but I think deer wether it’s northern zone to the central ny or other states will use the same type of terrain features. Saddles, benches, pinch points and leeward side of ridges.  Think it’s just a natural movement locations. 

I focus on water in new areas because it’s guaranteed to have some of the most diversity in the area and all animals need water to survive.

I’ve always had the most success on natural or man made barriers; creeks, old fences, etc. Travel corridors are my go to, I’ve never had much luck with hunting over food sources or bedding areas. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I’ve always had the most success on natural or man made barriers; creeks, old fences, etc. Travel corridors are my go to, I’ve never had much luck with hunting over food sources or bedding areas. 

Same I’ve just started the last couple years focusing on bedding area hunting and getting some success but it’s a steep learning curve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

2 spots I would check out. I like the northern one better , but I guess it would depend on wich way you come into the area from.Screenshot_20221021-225047_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dbc51075821630a7bb28751062e36a15.jpg

The top one spot  is no go someones   Lease ,  Parking is on bottom of the map  But yeah that's the one I'd pick 1st if I could hunt there but you can't private  that side of the lake looks like they clear cut that  square  just  Below Where you put that mark.

From this map alone I would say there is no way to tell or even begin to. My suggestion would be to map out a long still hunt with the wind in your face.. Be sure you know where your going, walk it all slowly and this will give you the Intel you need. Take a set of binos and spend the whole day still hunting and getting the lay of the land, pick a day when the ground is wet to do it quietly, look for food sources and bedding areas and trails being used. Up north I've found areas of beech trees I like to come back and visit by doing this that you would never know existed. But to look at just this map there is basically no way of having any real info.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2