Anticosti Island

kpkot

Has anyone ever hunted or know anyone who has hunted Anticosti Island in Quebec? It is suppossed to one of the heaviest populated areas in North America for whitetail. You can tag two bucks a trip. No predators on the island, so the deer populations are high. Just curious thinking of booking a trip with my brother, any input would be appreciated.

I am thinking the experience would be unlike any other, very unique hunting conditions. I think it would be neat to hunt deer surrounded by an ocean. Rack size wouldn't bother me, I am looking for a fun trip I would remember my whole life. Budget would be $ 3,000-4,500. Any other comparable trips anyone could suggest(fair chase)?

I am thinking the experience would be unlike any other, very unique hunting conditions. I think it would be neat to hunt deer surrounded by an ocean. Rack size wouldn't bother me, I am looking for a fun trip I would remember my whole life. Budget would be $ 3,000-4,500. Any other comparable trips anyone could suggest(fair chase)?

You could have some fun on that budget.  A trip I've done for whitetail a couple times is Alabama in January.  After all our deer hunting has shut down, Christmas/New Years are done and you're freezing off your n____ off, you jump on a plane and hunt the peak of the rut in Alabama.  Good times...........

I never killed any big bucks but had fun.  Buck, doe, coyote, bobcat and hog are on the menu and priced right.

Another hunt I'd think about for that kind of scratch would be an Aoudad Sheep hunt in Texas.  They are intriguing to me, from their looks to the land they inhabit.

Anticosti looks neat but these others more so, to me.

Best....................

Thanks for the input everyone. Im going to see if any of the anticosti guides will be at any of the local sportsman shows, but I definitely won't rule the others out. Maybe I will come across a guide/trip I could not say no to. I missed the hamburg sportsman show, so I will have to look for some others around the area coming up.

I know a guide who works for SEPAC; thats the guide service run by Quebec.(he ran a Caribou camp I was in and his wife was cook and BIL another guide there)

Rack size has been steadily going down for more than a few years.

I think it would be an interesting hunt, maybe not so much for a monster whitetail but for the whole experience. You can do the Euro plan a bit cheaper if you have experience in packing light in food and gear.

Rather do some walking than sit in a stand for 5 days in any case as many other hunts are done.