Has Anyone Else Had Issues Getting Their Car Inspected?

13BVET

Apparently, New York has a new system that was put in place, that does not work on certain cars. It took 4 tries to get mine done. What a headache! Even then, the shop had to call the DMV just to get the info inputted for my car. It was just insane. Anyone else have this problem?

Apparently, New York has a new system that was put in place, that does not work on certain cars. It took 4 tries to get mine done. What a headache! Even then, the shop had to call the DMV just to get the info inputted for my car. It was just insane. Anyone else have this problem?

What is this freak of a car anyway?

It's a Chevy Aveo. Apparently, according to the mechanic, there are other cars that weren't inputted into the software. In fact, the mechanic even had a list of those cars.

I am a Ny state inspector at our shop.  We had the same deal for awhile but we got the new updated software a long time ago.  Was this a little shop or a dealership? 

I did just have trouble and it was for inspection , my cavalier blew a head gasket and i fixed it but due to the residual coolant left in the exhaust system and not all my monitors were ready yet they gave me the big thumbs down. I still have 2 not reading yet and i believe you are only allowd one to not be ready , hopefully Four Season Whitetails can chime back in .

I did just have trouble and it was for inspection , my cavalier blew a head gasket and i fixed it but due to the residual coolant left in the exhaust system and not all my monitors were ready yet they gave me the big thumbs down. I still have 2 not reading yet and i believe you are only allowd one to not be ready , hopefully Four Season Whitetails can chime back in .

Yes Sir. Only 1.  You need to let it cool down( Say overnight) and then start and drive it untill it runs. Is it the O2 Sensor or the O2 heater?  You may need to pull the sensors and blow them out if the monitor does not run.

You have to start out with a cold engine to get the monitor to run!

I am a Ny state inspector at our shop.  We had the same deal for awhile but we got the new updated software a long time ago.  Was this a little shop or a dealership? 

It was a small shop. It was the damnedest thing. It would keep coming up that it couldn't read the RPM signal? It was real strange. Once the state sent down certain info to the shops computer, it went through, and passed immediately. Never seen anything like it.

I had trouble 35 years ago or so ,they'd find something wrong I go home buy part fix it come back, they'd find something else ,repeat.....

So I went 20 some years without ever having a car " inspected" after that.

. Depends on the year if its 1999 or older your allowed 2 monitors if its 2000 or newer than its 1

. Depends on the year if its 1999 or older your allowed 2 monitors if its 2000 or newer than its 1

Ya ,2005 cavalier . I can't recall which monitors were not ready , i'll brush the snow off the car today and check it again. I have put about 60 miles on the car since the inspection failure . I took it for a few short rides and never really crused over 40-45 MPH during these rides , i was thinking off putting some highway miles on it to see if that does anything.

20 years with no inspection...Too funny.

Well the cars did have the stickers on them..... And they were in good condition, just cut out the BS . Some states don't even have car inspections at all .