Prices for Septic Systems

Pav2704

I was wondering if anyone has recently had a new septic system installed in Schoharie County? I wanted to get an idea on what I should expect to pay? If anyone had someone in the area that they recommend and any

other important info I should know before I begin. On a side note, the property has passed a perc test.

Thanks

Depends if your in the NYC watershed or not ...

X2 on that,If you are near the Gilboa Dam or have running water as streams that run into it.Call the DEP because your septic system has to be approved by Them.before you do anything.

X2 on that,If you are near the Gilboa Dam or have running water as streams that run into it.Call the DEP because your septic system has to be approved by Them.before you do anything.

That approval is all part fo the design and permitting process. No need for him to contact anyone other than a licensed septic contractor.

I had one done for my house in Ontario Co. 3 years ago. All new system with a 1250 gal tank and a gravel-less shallow leech field. I did the layout and prep work according to the engineer's plan and worked as a helper on the job so I could learn a little bit about it because I'm in the construction trades and it's one of the few things I had no experience with.

Cost was $3500 without the engineering and permits that were required by the county.

The best advice I can give is to make sure it's done right the first time. A poorly done or inappropriate septic system is worse than no system at all. Talk to local residents and village/town officials to get some names of reliable contractors.

Good luck and keep us posted.

You need a perk test which will cost roughly 500 bucks, then you will need an engineer(same guy who does your perk) to design the system, bout 2K. If you are in the dreaded Catskill watershed you will need a DEP approval of the design and possible board of health approval, another couple hundred there.

Then depending on your soil and size of septic tank, leach field, and how much perkable soil you have you could easily total 10 to 12K, very easily.

If you need perkable soil brought in and or a dosing chamber in addition to your septic tank you could go as high as 25K in extreme cases. But there are plenty of 25 thousand dollar septic systems in the Catskill region.

If your grade doesn't permit natural flow of wastewater and you need a pump up system, sell the property.

Two of the six homes I have built in the Catskill watershed had 20K septic systems. The others 10 to 15K.

When your ready we can talk well drilling, lol.....

Only the very southern end of Sch county is in the watershed.

I redid our septic at our house in Windham, going on 4 years ago. I was allowed to repair it without meeting current watershed requirements, due to grandfather clauses in the watershed agreement act.

However the DEP offered to replace the entire system, on their dime if I allowed them to design it.

The engineering process was a 6 month back and forth pain in the ass. ...long story short they footed the bill, all 68k of it for the new system . Keeping in mind the house is 4800 sqf .

I only tell this to illustrate the costs of building in the watershed.

My new system was 5K, and I got a quote for another for an outbuilding across the street... 4800

Lots of variable... mainly the perc test like culver said.  If the site percs well no need for lots of material lower prices... some sites require pumps and built up leech beds  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

For my county you have to have it drawn with prints by an engineer.

As others have stated, there are a lot of variables. The first step is to contact the local authorities having jurisdiction: village, town, or county. That will get you started. You won't know what you're up against cost-wise until you know what you really need and what possible options you have.

I'm in an area where the vast majority of systems are the expensive variety with pumps and raised beds, etc. I did several test holes for the county soils engineer to do the perk test(s). The county regulations indicated 24" deep test holes and they all failed because I only have about 16" of decent soil before I hit clay. I think the fee for the test was $125.

I hired an engineer to come out and design the system. After explaining to him what I was up against, he picked a spot that could be used for a gravity fed leech field and dug two test holes 14" deep and did a very careful test. They both perked just fine. He designed a system using evaporative chambers in a shallow leech field, and an otherwise traditional setup.

He charged me $600 for the design work and I ended up with a $3000 septic system that works great and is expandable. To say that I was very happy to avoid the $15000+ price tag for a system that requires electricity would be an understatement. But I had to get started before I really knew what I was into.